1911 .45 Ammo, aluminum case (1970)

Anyone know anything about this? Cases head stamped WCC 71 and are brass colored, I have not scratched one to see if the color is just a surface coating with alum. underneath. Comments please. Thanks. Carter

IMG_1925.jpg

Carter, To answer your question. No. I've never heard of such a thing, I'm really wondering what that's all about. I've got a standard box of ammo dated 72, OLIN corporation, but the lot number is different. I've never heard of aluminum cases in US Military ammo. I'm taking up space here just to tell you how curious I am about it.

Mike

They have us surrounded? The poor Bastards.

Carter

I got this off the International Ammunition Association Fourm. Great place for ammo questions.

45B20

JohnMoss

Re: .45 ACP WCC 71 Bright Case

The case is absolutely aluminum. There are four variations of this round, at least:

Plain unanodized aluminum, no case cannelure. Mine is a fired case with the spent primer removed.

Gold-anodized aluminum, kurled case cannelure, magnetic bullet, gray primer (tinned or frosted nickel - I don't know which)

Gold-anodized aluminum, no case cannelure, magnetic bullet, gray primer

Gold-anodized aluminum, no case cannelure, magnetic bullet, gray primer with red primer seal

There is a whole series of rounds, mostly by not all unheadstamped, from Winchester in 1969 as well, with aluminum cases. Most found are dummies. I have over a half-dozen variants. Some are headstamped "W R A 6 9."

The picture posted is very good - it really captures the look of the cartridge.

John Moss

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.