Decorated Scabbards

doyler

Thanks for bringing this one up again, Ron. Beautiful scabbards! The decorations aren't bad either ^_^.

I'd like to add the only 'decorated' scabbard in my colllection. I'm the first to admit that it isn't as beautiful as the rest that has been shown here but I like it anyway.

post-169612-0-33846700-1521204702_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-80704400-1521204726_thumb.jpg

Rene

All of mine are un-touched..BUT my grandfather was a leathersmith (in which he taught me as a kid in the 70's and 80's..)

He learned to tool leather while he was in the Navy, in 1952. :)

I've seen the theme of the art work on Dogbody's scabbard appear on a number of U.S. air craft. Even one that looked very similar to the image painted on the port side of a CG-4A glider. I've looked thru my photo's and haven't seen the specific image I was looking for, probably dropped the image due to a small file size that wouldn't have been helpful. Here's another one I do have were the subject would be less vulnerable to the censors.

post-17422-0-82302200-1521428797_thumb.jpg

Wonder if the owner of the scabbard might have been in the Air Corps or at least inspired by some ASAAF nose art.

sactroop what is the history behind the CG-4A photo? Studying and collecting gliders. Thanks.

The photo is from a small collection I have that originated from the 440th Troop Carrier Group, of which my late Father in Law was an original member and a Glider Pilot. I've had my eye out for possible pictures of him in the ETO. I have one of him from his small personal collection that he commissioned from a French photographer after Operation Varsity. There is another potential image with him in it from the Groups official record called "DZ Europe" which depicts a group of Glider pilots assigned to the 97th Squadron, but has no caption identifying the individuals shown in the picture. As a result of this searching while I haven't uncovered exactly what I've been looking for I have manager to ID some other Glider pilots, mostly thru the process of elimination or that the provenance happened to be near to the surface of things and was worth putting together. In a couple of cases I was able to connect family members with an actual image of their own ancestor who was pictured in one of my collections of photos. There is some satisfaction connected to that.

On the specifics of your question, the picture didn’t have any accompanying written description with it and I still couldn’t tell you who the man on the right is. However thanks to some cross referencing to fore mentioned book “DZ Europe” I’m personally certain that the man on the left is Glider pilot Capt. Wallace F. Hammargren. I can’t pin down the date of this picture, but because of the M43 gear I will say that it’s post D-Day.

Also my father-in-law said that the M3 knives didn’t show up in his Troop Carrier Group until after D-Day.

Hammargren is fairly well documented in “DZ Europe” including his personal account of participation in Operation Bastone.

He has two Air Medals and also received the Distinguished Flying Cross.

The 440th issued more Bronze Stars than they did DFC’s.

Hope this helps.

The photo is from a small collection I have that originated from the 440th Troop Carrier Group, of which my late Father in Law was an original member and a Glider Pilot. I've had my eye out for possible pictures of him in the ETO. I have one of him from his small personal collection that he commissioned from a French photographer after Operation Varsity. There is another potential image with him in it from the Groups official record called "DZ Europe" which depicts a group of Glider pilots assigned to the 97th Squadron, but has no caption identifying the individuals shown in the picture. As a result of this searching while I haven't uncovered exactly what I've been looking for I have manager to ID some other Glider pilots, mostly thru the process of elimination or that the provenance happened to be near to the surface of things and was worth putting together. In a couple of cases I was able to connect family members with an actual image of their own ancestor who was pictured in one of my collections of photos. There is some satisfaction connected to that.

On the specifics of your question, the picture didn’t have any accompanying written description with it and I still couldn’t tell you who the man on the right is. However thanks to some cross referencing to fore mentioned book “DZ Europe” I’m personally certain that the man on the left is Glider pilot Capt. Wallace F. Hammargren. I can’t pin down the date of this picture, but because of the M43 gear I will say that it’s post D-Day.

Also my father-in-law said that the M3 knives didn’t show up in his Troop Carrier Group until after D-Day.

Hammargren is fairly well documented in “DZ Europe” including his personal account of participation in Operation Bastone.

He has two Air Medals and also received the Distinguished Flying Cross.

The 440th issued more Bronze Stars than they did DFC’s.

Hope this helps.

Great photo

The Glider looks to have MINNESOTA painted under the flying beauty

Great photo

The Glider looks to have MINNESOTA painted under the flying beauty

Yes, Wallace Hammargren's home address in the Group history was Cambridge Minnesota.

Yes, Wallace Hammargren's home address in the Group history was Cambridge Minnesota.

Thanks Sac

Know the area well.

Have a group to a Glider pilot from Minnesota

He flew the 2nd drop at Markert Garden and the first wave at Varsity.Have a few pictures he copied on to slides for me.

Figure I'd better get on track with OP.

Here's my first contribution, thou I've posted these before over the years.

post-17422-0-63856000-1521852147_thumb.jpg

Thanks doyler. I got to admit to some envy over many of the sheaths already posted. Guess I'm going to have to be on the look out for something a little racier in the future. :D

• 1 year later...

I'm proud of owning this beautiful salty Camillus Kabar named to "Don Wagner".

Interesting are the little butterflies around his name.

Blueprint

post-180902-0-18715200-1572732761_thumb.jpg