M1917A1 USMC Helmet

ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod

I went to the local mil show here today, and spent about an hour aimlessly wandering around looking for something and chatting. Everyone was starting to pack up and I got pushed into the "don't leave empty handed" frenzy. The EGA on this puppy caught my eye, and the price was right. The finish is odd and seems to almost be coming off when I handle the helmet. The chinstrap and helmet are in great shape. EGA is screwbacked in. Shell is dated 1942, so I suppose this would be a Wake Island/Philippines era helmet, if it was even issued. Could the EGA guys educate me about the EGA on this? Also, I am considering cleaning the dust from the liner but I know I probably shouldn't. Lastly, what is an approximate value on this?

Thanks.

post-4251-1273423102.jpg

Sorry to advise that it's not a M1917A1 "Kelly" helmet. It is either Brit or possibly Canadian. Though the chinstrap looks U.S. the liner is completely wrong for a 17A1. M1937 EGA has been added to make it more attractive. Get your money back if you can.

Semper Fi-----Bobgee

ClaptonIsGod
Sorry to advise that it's not a M1917A1 "Kelly" helmet. It is either Brit or possibly Canadian. M1937 EGA has been added to make it more attractive. Get your money back if you can.

Semper Fi-----Bobgee

d'oh :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

The shell is manufactured by the Canadian Lamp Company, one of two firms that made large numbers of Mk II helmets during the Second World War. (The other was GSW.) The liner is the correct type for that helmet, and appears to be in good condition.

The rough texture is not typical of Canadian Mk II helmets, and has probably been added as part of the USMC ruse. It is a shame that someone ruined a perfectly good Mk II helmet assembly, which these days might go for about $100 retail at the right venue.

ClaptonIsGod
The shell is manufactured by the Canadian Lamp Company, one of two firms that made large numbers of Mk II helmets during the Second World War. (The other was GSW.) The liner is the correct type for that helmet, and appears to be in good condition.

The rough texture is not typical of Canadian Mk II helmets, and has probably been added as part of the USMC ruse. It is a shame that someone ruined a perfectly good Mk II helmet assembly, which these days might go for about $100 retail at the right venue.

Well, if I took the EGA off, would you buy it for $65? :lol: :lol:

I can also comfirm that this is a Canadian manufactured Mk II Helmet, just to add the the sting, the liner is also Canadian (VMC) is Viceroy Manufacturing Company. Take the whole thing apart and you will probably find a couple of Canadian 'C Broad Arrows' lurking, one stamped on the shell under the liner and the other on the liner top facing the shell.

I hope you didn't pay too much for the helmet, perhsps the money would have been better spent on some helmet references.

To echo Andrew's comments, too bad a nice Mk II was mucked with to make this fake USMC helmet.

ClaptonIsGod

I suppose the real question is: where do I go from here? Sell the EGA, sell the chinstraps, try and take off the crappy texture and then sell the shell and liner? Perhaps strip the outside down entirely and repaint to appeal to someone?

what should you do?? simple--- leave it and wait til the next show and give it back to the piss pot maker that sold it to you and who probobly made it up. and it is a brit/canadian pot.

I suppose the real question is: where do I go from here? Sell the EGA, sell the chinstraps, try and take off the crappy texture and then sell the shell and liner? Perhaps strip the outside down entirely and repaint to appeal to someone?

Ice bucket or ashtray? Either way it's can be put to some use. I just made similar buy and mine is staying on the shelf as a reminder to me to measure twice cut loose of the once.

ClaptonIsGod
what should you do?? simple--- leave it and wait til the next show and give it back to the piss pot maker that sold it to you and who probobly made it up. and it is a brit/canadian pot.

Uh.. they all look the same :( Honestly even if I found him he'd probably say something like "oh, I didn't sell you that" or "I bought it that way"

If you want to recover losses, part out the helmet and chalk it up to experience. Forget about confronting the seller. He laid his 'goods' on the table, and in the real world, it is up to the buyer to beware and to understand what he/she is buying. This particular helmet is so obviously a put together that one can hardly accuse the seller of trying to conceal anything. The Canadian markings inside the shell and liner are plainly clear. What you see is what you get in this case.

You might get a few bucks for the chin strap hardware and liner. I have no idea what the EGA is worth. Forget about trying to salvage the shell - it already has a hole drilled in it and the exterior finish is ruined. Besides, plain, unadulterated Cdn Mk II shells can be had for $5 or $10 these days.

Keep it as a reminder of paying too fast and not knowing anything about what you are spending your money on. Experience hurts and the trick is to learn from this mistake and not to repeat it again.

gunbarrel
Uh.. they all look the same :( Honestly even if I found him he'd probably say something like "oh, I didn't sell you that" or "I bought it that way"

CIG,

That bites.

Did the seller tell you (or had a sign saying) that it was a Marine Corps helmet, or did you assume it was based on the EGA? That would determine if it was fraud on his part, or lack of knowledge on your part.

How much did it set you back?

gunbarrel

Sorry about repeating myself, above. :pinch:

For the benefit of new collectors, here is what the liner of a M1917A1 helmet looks like. Notice the straps, too.

post-70-1273439558.jpg

gunbarrel

Here is yet another variety of helmet that tends to be passed as a US M1917A1 helmet. This is a British Mk II helmet with Dutch liner and chinstraps. Hope this helps the new collectors.

post-70-1273439839.jpg

ClaptonIsGod
CIG,

That bites.

Did the seller tell you (or had a sign saying) that it was a Marine Corps helmet, or did you assume it was based on the EGA? That would determine if it was fraud on his part, or lack of knowledge on your part.

How much did it set you back?

Uh, when I was examining it I said "M1917A1?" and he said "Yep, M1917A1." It was a $60 mistake so that's why I'm considering cutting my losses :pinch:

gunbarrel
Uh, when I was examining it I said "M1917A1?" and he said "Yep, M1917A1." It was a $60 mistake so that's why I'm considering cutting my losses :pinch:

Yup...could have been much worse!

ClaptonIsGod
Yup...could have been much worse!

Also, if I decide to, I probably could generate that much or more between the EGA, the straps, the liner, and perhaps sell the shell on ePay.

sgtdorango

You could just take the EGA off, keep or sell it, throw a net on the Tommie and sell it on ebay honestly for what it is and you may recoup some of your losses....also the seller that sold you that is at the show every month, (i saw that helmet on his table)..Ive never really dealt personally with him but it might be worth a shot trying to get him to take it back....he seems like a good guy.....mike