WWII paratrooper hatchet?

B.A.R.gunner

B.A.R.gunner

i bought this hatchet at the brimfield flea market last year. Looking back at myself, i think i was a "chump", if they said it was WWII and i liked it, i bought it. Now i do my research, i did a little research on WWII hatchets, and found none that look like this. But while doing some paratrooper gear research, found that there were E-tool covers that were kahki w/OD trim, and so i am now assuming it is a paratrooper hatchet. Anyone know what it really is? It is kahki w/OD trim, no markings, same belt clip as WWII era items, and a button closure, not lift the dot.

post-11724-1273373526.jpg

post-11724-1273373534.jpg

post-11724-1273373543.jpg

cherokee tj

Are there any marking on the hatchet like US and maker, also the hatchet head is put on up side down on the handle.

craig_pickrall

It looks like a cheap copy from Rothco or some other surplus dealer. They were usually imported from an Asian country and sold in the $10 range. It is not US GI. Paratroopers used the same hatchets as all other members of the service.

B.A.R.gunner
Are there any marking on the hatchet like US and maker, also the hatchet head is put on up side down on the handle.

Yah, on a winter trip the head kept flying off (i now realize because the wood had shrunk in the cold) and didnt pay attention to how it was put on. There are no markings anywhere.

B.A.R.gunner
It looks like a cheap copy from Rothco or some other surplus dealer. They were usually imported from an Asian country and sold in the $10 range. It is not US GI. Paratroopers used the same hatchets as all other members of the service.

Thanks, so in a pinch or if it was hidden a little, could i get away with using it?

The handle appear to be original or at least shaped correctly, commercial handles are shaped differently, the cover and head are not real. If you get a real cover and put this hatchet in it it would be fine for display or reenacting.

B.A.R.gunner
The handle appear to be original or at least shaped correctly, commercial handles are shaped differently, the cover and head are not real. If you get a real cover and put this hatchet in it it would be fine for display or reenacting.

so for WWII would the original cover have lift the dot, or that web closure type thing to be period?

so for WWII would the original cover have lift the dot, or that web closure type thing to be period?

The web cinch strap would be better, and good for any time frame and theatre in WWII and typically OD#3, the only ones with a LTD snap I've seen have been '45 dated and OD#7 and good for a very late WWII or KW display.

B.A.R.gunner
The web cinch strap would be better, and good for any time frame and theatre in WWII and typically OD#3, the only ones with a LTD snap I've seen have been '45 dated and OD#7 and good for a very late WWII or KW display.

thanks,im going to the Brimfield flea market in MA this week, I'll be on the lookout for one

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=hatchet

Follow the link for the info you need.

The cover with strap for for the M1910 hand ax, what you are looking for. The cover with LTD closure is for the camp ax which is a larger item than the M1910. It is like a medium size ax.

Such hand axes were not normally carried ON individuals. They were components of Tool Kits and OBE for vehicles,

That is not to say no troopie ever hung one on his belt, but unless he was part of a heavy weapons crew or maybe a medic, it would be anomalous.