M17 Gas Mask - 1963

B.A.R.gunner

B.A.R.gunner

i bought this at the brimfield flea market in MA last fall, and recently saw a post about another gas mask and decided to dig mine out. I couldnt remember if it was an m17, or m17a1, as i have an m17a1 bag i purchased last year as well (unfortunatley i didnt know much as a 14 year old and drove the seller down from $30, to $15, thinking i struck a good deal as he said it should have been $50!) and then to my surprise i bought the m17, with the mask the same day for $20. I read a little about how to date them, i looked at the circle below the voice hole, and along with a few numbers, saw a 63, and i am assuming it is a 63 date, as there are no markings on the bag, you can barely make out the 63 in one of the attached pictures, so can anyone tell me if i right or wrong with the date? also, does anyone have any idea what the M is for? its on the bag and the mask, and ive seen a couple with different letters, any idea why its there?

post-11724-1273362657.jpg

post-11724-1273362667.jpg

post-11724-1273362697.jpg

B.A.R.gunner
I believe M is for Medium size.

Thanks, that makes sense, I had seen one with an S before

PvtTamura

B.A.R. Gunner, I'm going to assume you saw my post on the M17 mask, since your pictures are all the same angles. Nice mask! Do you have the belt clips on yours? :think: I once saw a mask bag with belt clips on the back, though I don't have them myself.

B.A.R.gunner
B.A.R. Gunner, I'm going to assume you saw my post on the M17 mask, since your pictures are all the same angles. Nice mask! Do you have the belt clips on yours? :think: I once saw a mask bag with belt clips on the back, though I don't have them myself.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was your post, no i dont have the clips, usually when i use it i just use the straps and sling it on my shoulder, and wrap the other one around my waist. There is an army/navy store in hyannis near my grandma's that sells the clips, and im going to try to get some to replace some rusted ones, and some for the mask, i dont really have room on my pistol belt, but it would go good on the butt pack where some people put the shovel.

craig_pickrall

Where are you going to attach the M56 belt clips to a M17 GM bag? The only GM bag I have ever seen with belt clips is the small nylon bag that was used with the riot control mask. This is the one used by a bunch of tunnel rats. I don't recall the number for that one and I am not at my reference material at the moment. That riot mask is shown here on the forum but I'm not sure how to find it at the moment. I will try to find it with a search.

PvtTamura

I don't believe the mask was ever ment to even have clips in any situation, but on the back of the bag, there is room in the webbing where it could be possible. I have only seen one mask bag with clips, it was on Ebay of course. :thumbdown: I was curious if this was ever done more than anything else. :lol:

B.A.R.gunner
Where are you going to attach the M56 belt clips to a M17 GM bag? The only GM bag I have ever seen with belt clips is the small nylon bag that was used with the riot control mask. This is the one used by a bunch of tunnel rats. I don't recall the number for that one and I am not at my reference material at the moment. That riot mask is shown here on the forum but I'm not sure how to find it at the moment. I will try to find it with a search.

On the back, theres a spot where clips can be slid in, the first pic. is the back, second is w/ the clips on

post-11724-1273418602.jpg

post-11724-1273418612.jpg

B.A.R.gunner
On the back, theres a spot where clips can be slid in, the first pic. is the back, second is w/ the clips on

the mask bag attached to the m61 butt pack

post-11724-1273418772.jpg

post-11724-1273418780.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.