USMC Raider Patch ???

warpath

USMC Raider Patch ??? I don't have any history with this patch and it came in a large collection of original items...Opinions welcome. Thanks for looking. Ed

post-3653-1273359823.jpg

USMC Raider Patch ??? I don't have any history with this patch and it came in a large collection of original items...Opinions welcome. Thanks for looking. Ed

post-3653-1273359905.jpg

My opinion, which most certainly is not learned, is that is a really neat patch :thumbsup: . It clearly looks hand-made, probably by the soldier that wore it. I may be totally off the mark here, but, it does not look to be WWII era. It looks to be more modern though I do not know the more recent history of the USMC Raiders. Are they still in existence?

Tim

Tim, Raiders were WWII only...patch is not likely that era, but I haven't seen everything so it's posted for review. Ed

This looks like a brother to the infamous "704th Marine Raider Bn". If I read it correctly, it looks like "307th Bn" and there were only 4 WWII Marine Raider Bns. In addition to that, it appears it has denim for the medium, and the type of emb to attach the "patch" to the cammie material was a middle school sewing project. The Marine experts here can chime in on the cammie material, which may or may not be WW II period.

And tsellati, I know you are new to patch collecting, but please never ever call a Marine a "soldier". They get bent!

kjones5452

Kool lookin patch whether real or not.Took an imagination to make it up

like it is. Question is if it was real what would it have been sewn on to with

it on a camo backing or was it put on the camo after being removed from

something else? :think:

Tim, Raiders were WWII only.... Ed

I thought so, but, as you point out this definitely looks to be post-WWII. I wondered whether Raiders were still active in some way, shape, or form during the Korean War.

Tim

And tsellati, I know you are new to patch collecting, but please never ever call a Marine a "soldier". They get bent!

Sorry for the slip up, no offense intended.

Tim

Kool lookin patch whether real or not.Took an imagination to make it up

like it is. Question is if it was real what would it have been sewn on to with

it on a camo backing or was it put on the camo after being removed from

something else? :think:

Maybe it was put on the cammo backing for display purposes.

Tim

• 3 years later...
Patchcollector

I have seen soldiers wearing the Raider patch recently,in the Middle East,so it may have been made as a heritage,morale,or tribute patch.I have also seen the 1stSSF Red arrowhead patch being worn.

post-13386-0-25459900-1371661631.jpeg

Way outside my area of expertise, but my first question would be what is the purpose of the camo material, other than to make the patch look good?

Assuming it was made in the field, wouldn't the Marines of the time be more inclined to just sew it directly to a uniform?

WorldWarPatches

I have shipped many WW 2 Army and USMC patches to Iraq and Afghanistan for our boy's to wear. I even take them to a local tailor and have velcro sewn on them so they can slap em on right away.