Stories from Dad

Guest krintz

Guest krintz

My father was very discrete about the things that he shared about his experiences in the war. He was not the kind of man that wanted to upset his family. Because of his silence and my age I never knew his bravery and quickness of mind, and lets face it, no one thinks their parents are very smart until they mature themselves.

One of his Army buddies came by to say hello one day and saw my Dad and I in an argument in which I said what I thought about his intelligence. Please chalk that up to my age at the time. He pulled me aside and told me this story.

My father drove supply trucks for the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion. One night while on the road he found it prudent to turn on his headlights even though he knew he was not suppoed to. The road was so blown up he felt he had no choice. That particular load was food, ammo, and gas bound for the 101st airborn. Sure enough a German plane came by, saw the lights and started firing on the area. Jim said my father pulled the truck off the road, cut the lights, grabbed 2 cans of gas and started running away from the truck back up the road. He ran until he heard the plane bank and start back for his position. As it went by straiffing the area my father set the cans of fuel on fire and when they exploded the pilot thought he hit the truck and went away.

I never questiond my fathers intelligence agian.

That is the only story I have ever been told about his service time. It was an educational one for me.

It is one thing to know the exploits of a unit during the war, but it is an entirely different matter when you learn about specific actions of a family veteran. Great story. Is this Army buddy still with us? If so, perhaps you can get more from him.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...