Jungle First Aid Kit Pouches

Brig

picked these up today. first aid kits, with beltloops in the back straps but also the metal hangers. However, they have snaps, not click the dots. The top two are dated 1944 and 1945 respectively. The bottom one is undated but has a first aid symbol on the front. Anyone know anything about these? Who carried them, etc?

Medic.JPG

Charlie Flick

Brig:

Those are Jungle First Aid Kits. They were individual items of issue and were widely used in the PTO in the latter part of WW2. Craig P. probably has a thread on these around here somewhere for reference purposes.

HTH.

Charlie

The earliest known dates on these kits is 1944 and they appear in photo images of soldoers and Marines in the late 1944 and 1945 Pacific battles. These were issued on a regional basis and were not universally issued to all soldiers as the the individual first aid packet was. There exists nylon versions of these first aid pouches that I'm sure were issued to troops in Viet Nam. I have inventory sheets for these first aid kits dated in the 1970s. Others here may have much better information on the time frames, places used and when phased out of service.

They were starting to be manufactured in 1943, here is a picture of my M2 first aid jungle pouch dated 1943. This is made by G.B. MFG. CO., Inc.

I have a 1944 and a 1945 dated pouch also made by G.B. MFG. CO., Inc.

Charlie Flick

Brig:

Yep, that is the thread I was thinking of. I'm glad that you tracked it down as it has great info in it, as is usual with Craig's posts, and I see that GICop also contributed there as well.

Locating the contents to make a complete kit can take a while. If you like the hunt you will have some fun. Other guys I know get discouraged and just try to buy a complete kit, and they are still around and available to buy without too much difficulty.

I have seen period pic of these kits used through Korea, and the similar nylon ones mentioned by Canteen Guru into VN. I thought that you might enjoy seeing this pic taken on Iwo Jima which illustrates the JFAK in combat use in 1945.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Iwo_Jungle_FAK_edited.jpg

• 13 years later...
Crap Game

Used into Vietnam War, often attached by the M1910 Wire Hangar to the back of the SEAL/UDT Rifleman, Radioman and Grenadier "Float Coats" or on the M1956 H Harness rear crossbar.

SEAL H Harness with Jungle IFAK.jpg