Some of my groupings

Bones

This first grouping is kind of sad. This man enlisted in the US Army before WW2. He was originally stationed at Fort Omaha with the 17th Infantry Regiment. I do not have any records on the guy but some how he ended up with the 14th Armored Division. The picture in the center shows him receiving the Purple Heart from his CO. The Purple Heart Medal is numbered not named. The Bronze Star Medal is neither named or numbered. After the war he was assigned to the 351st Infantry Regiment of the 88th ID. The DI's in the case are Italian made. The 18th Infantry DI's and the 29th Infantry DI's are German made. Sadly this soldier became ill with Hepatitis and was sent home. He died on the troop ship home. He was married but had no kids. His niece gave this grouping to me after seeing some of the displays I have done around town in the past. I received a nice thank you for displaying it last year on Veteran's day.

post-736-1184444675.jpg

This is a new grouping given to me by a friend. He recently retired from the Nebraska National Guard were he obtained the rank of Sergeant Major. He spent 1 year in Bosnia with the NATO peace keepers. I asked him for some US theater made patches from Bosnia, instead I got patches from military units from that area. So in this display I put them together.

post-736-1184445841.jpg

I purchased this grouping at an auction last summer. His man was a gunner with the 589th Bomb Squadron. The 9th AF patch is British made. Of course his discharge does not list the number of missions flown. He did earn an Air Medal with 3 bronze oak leaf clusters.

post-736-1184446559.jpg

Erwin, Believe it or not that is the only patch in that grouping I don't have an ID on.

Too bad, but thanks anyway. thumbsup.gif

Very interesting groupings you have there, very interesting indeed.

As for the USAAF man, you can always try to obtain his IDPF.

Erwin

Nice groupings indeed, the first one is pretty interesting. Looks like he is wearing ribbons on his M43 field jacket. Was this done more when receiving a medal? He probably removed them after receiving the medal right?

Anyway nice grouping and keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

I am sure that the ribbons where put on just for the award ceremony. I believe his Purple Heart medal is in his hand. This is a US Army photo and the officer is named on the back.

Terrible story about the first grouping. Imagine fighting a war, and then being taken by hepatitis.

I guess it was a common problem in Italy though, a lot of 10th Division guys got it.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Close up of US stuff, named to a soldier who lived about 80 miles from here.

post-736-1187231271.jpg

This is the first picture of the 2nd ID grouping. The flag carries the names of some of this veteran's comrades who captured this flag in Bergheim Germany.

post-736-1187481825.jpg

Had this one up on a shelf. Someone had a DUI of this unit as their avator. This soldier was a MP assigned to the 757th MP battalion. It is not named. From the Des Moines, IA area.

post-736-1187231434.jpg

This is the back of the DUI's and MP crossed pistols. They appear to be theater made to me but this unit never got overseas. Comments are welcome. Also the decals are for the helmet liner, again I am guessing.

post-736-1187231574.jpg

Terrible story about the first grouping. Imagine fighting a war, and then being taken by hepatitis.

I guess it was a common problem in Italy though, a lot of 10th Division guys got it.

Adam

Very nice grouping!

To bad that you haven't researched him yet.

That are the groupings I hope to buy sometimes, hmm 99th ID :rolleyes:

If you are selling it in this and some years...

Keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This first grouping I displayed at the ASMIC show last weekend in Denver. I received alot of good comments from the public but the judges must have not been impressed. This man enlisted in the Nebraska National Guard in 1940 before WW2. He was a member of the service company of the 134th Infantry Regiment of the 35th Infantry Division. The uniform to the right is his pre WW2 uniform. It has the crossed rifles with the S for Service Company on a gilt collar device. The DUI's are screw back. The uniform to the left is the one he was discharged in. The DIU's are screw back of German coin silver. He won the Bronze Star Medal but I do not have the citation. He was also awarded the CIB for fighting around St. Lo. In my research of the service company alot of the members were awarded the CIB on the same special order dated July 1944. The parachute was sent home by Harold to his mother in the ration box on the floor. I was told it may be a D-Day chute but I do not know. The table also has numerious books including his 134th regimental unit history, his 35th divisional unit history, a roster of members, a pre WW2 Nebraska National Guard 1939 annual, and some other books. His medals where also displayed with 5 variations of the 134's DUI's.

post-736-1188866545.jpg

Judges weren't impressed with this one either. Must have been too much reading involved in both of my displays. This man was a member of the West Point class of 1925. The book to the right is his Howitzer, 1925 year book, opened to the page of his picture. His pre WW2 service was in Panama and Hawaii. While a member of the 21th Infantry Regiment of the Hawaiian Division, became the 24th Infantry Division, he wrote a unit history. This regiment was quite active during the Indian wars and during the Spanish American war. His personal copy signed to his mother was on display. During the war he was stateside doing training duties. When the pacific war ended he was on a troop ship for the Phillipines. He was sent to Japan for Occupation duties and except for a brief tour at Fort Knox, he stayed in Japan. The silver bowl was presented to him by the bachelor officer's barracks at Fort Knox in 1948. He retired in 1953 as a Lt. Col. Also included was a riker mount with this medals and a small DUI collect that was his. I noticed when I got to Denver I did not have a belt for the formal dress uniform on the left. Oops. Still an interesting and handsome grouping I thought.

post-736-1188867478.jpg

Well, Bones, what can I say? I have displayed at ASMIC and won awards. Other times I have placed far lower, and also could not say why. I have been a judge several times too. It really depends, I think, on what the judging criteria are. I think they really make the effort to have a cross-section of judges -- both collectors and non-collectors -- to get a real consensus. I do know that a proper sign giving the display a title and some sort of explanation, in addition to describing individual items all help. Those that arte educational get a lot of points too.

Better luck next time in Cincy. But then again there will be different competition. Several of the major eastern collectors always display there. (Maybe I will give it another shot myself.) Look in back issues of FOOTLOCKER to see what I mean.

G

craig_pickrall
Had this one up on a shelf. Someone had a DUI of this unit as their avator. This soldier was a MP assigned to the 757th MP battalion. It is not named. From the Des Moines, IA area.

It was me using that patch as an avatar for a while. Look here for more info.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3089

Well, Bones, what can I say? I have displayed at ASMIC and won awards. Other times I have placed far lower, and also could not say why. I have been a judge several times too. It really depends, I think, on what the judging criteria are. I think they really make the effort to have a cross-section of judges -- both collectors and non-collectors -- to get a real consensus. I do know that a proper sign giving the display a title and some sort of explanation, in addition to describing individual items all help. Those that arte educational get a lot of points too.

Better luck next time in Cincy. But then again there will be different competition. Several of the major eastern collectors always display there. (Maybe I will give it another shot myself.) Look in back issues of FOOTLOCKER to see what I mean.

G

Bones,

I was at the convention and took a great deal of time looking over your display and those of others who went to the effort of putting up a display. I truly enjoyed the 35th Division display and felt that the unit histories etc. accompanied the display nicely. I did NOT judge the displays this year, but have judged them on a couple of other occassions. The forms that the judges use assign point values to all aspects of the display. I don't want this to sound wrong, but I could see, based on the judges forms, why you did not fair better in the rankings. The first thing on the judge's sheet asks whether there is a sign with the title of the display and then there are additional points for the name of the person doing the display. I didn't see any of this information on either of your display tables. The form goes on to assign points for text describing what the viewer is looking at. In short, the concept is for the display to tell a story to a viewer who is not intimately familiar with the subject matter. You also need to letthe viewer understand why the items that you have chosen to display are significant to the make-up of the display.

I think that Gil has given you some good advice and some places to go to see other displays that have faired better in the judging. I hope to see more of your items in Cincy next year and hope that my advice will serve you well in preparing your display.

Allan

Bones,

I was at the convention and took a great deal of time looking over your display and those of others who went to the effort of putting up a display. I truly enjoyed the 35th Division display and felt that the unit histories etc. accompanied the display nicely. I did NOT judge the displays this year, but have judged them on a couple of other occassions. The forms that the judges use assign point values to all aspects of the display. I don't want this to sound wrong, but I could see, based on the judges forms, why you did not fair better in the rankings. The first thing on the judge's sheet asks whether there is a sign with the title of the display and then there are additional points for the name of the person doing the display. I didn't see any of this information on either of your display tables. The form goes on to assign points for text describing what the viewer is looking at. In short, the concept is for the display to tell a story to a viewer who is not intimately familiar with the subject matter. You also need to letthe viewer understand why the items that you have chosen to display are significant to the make-up of the display.

I think that Gil has given you some good advice and some places to go to see other displays that have faired better in the judging. I hope to see more of your items in Cincy next year and hope that my advice will serve you well in preparing your display.

Allan

Bones: I was also at the convention and was the one taking photos for AAMUC. I was not a judge and don't know exactly what criteria they were using, however the Vietnam marine advisor display was outstanding to me. It told a story and there was enough information to help the viewer understand the exhibit. You had nice material in both of your displays but they didn't reach out and grab you like the marine display did.

Dallas

• 1 year later...

Here is a 40th ID grouping I just picked up at auction 2 weeks ago. This veteran pasted away some time ago and his in laws kept it together. When talking to the niece he never talked about the war. Great combat uniform.

post-736-1226614479.jpg