Difference between civil/army m1917 bolo?

dmv

bayonetman

There are basically two scabbards, the one for the Model 1910 and the one for the Model 1917 and 1917CT. The 1910 scabbard has the stud to engage the scabbard catch on the Model 1910 bolo. When the catch was dropped in the Model 1917, it became necessary to place two brass springs inside the scabbard to retain the blade in the scabbard.

Most likely some of the early contract scabbards were made with the catch stud so they could be used with the Model 1910. However, it must be remembered that the covers are interchangeable, and a later cover could have been put on an earlier scabbard, so the maker and date mark on the scabbard can apply only to the cover, not the rest of the scabbard. A few years ago the covers were around in brand new condition, so they were made in large quantity as spares

The Model 1917 and CT bolos were made with a hole in the guard so they could go in the 1910 scabbard with the catch stud. I am not sure why as there would be nothing to hold them in place and they will fall out readily.

Gary- Great points on the scabbard covers, versus the actual scabbard bodies. Hadn't even considered that. Always figured they were a set. A couple I've had more than 35 years. Now a question. Did any of the LFC Metal scabbards make it to France in WW1? Can't recall ever seeing any photos. THX SKIP

Frank Trzaska

Great thread folks.

I can not remember seeing any of the metal scabbards in use in a European theatre photo. In 1918 they were termed Experimental but thousand and thousands were made.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

• 4 years later...

Bonjour.

I dug up this post. The photos are missing, which makes, for me, difficult to understand.
Is it possible to recover?

Merci solcarlus.

reaaly like these bolo's. I have one a former BRITISH para sharpened for me the old cutler style of sharpened on one side. It is an awesome piece when correctly sharpened. MY QUESTION IS???? do any photos exist of these being used in WW2?

bayonetman

Bonjour.

I dug up this post. The photos are missing, which makes, for me, difficult to understand.

Is it possible to recover?

Merci solcarlus.

The forum recently changed their photo link policy so that (1) photos will remain even if they are deleted at the source, and possibly (2) links cannot be added that will direct the viewer to objectionable content. I have been slowly working to reestablish the photos when possible. Fortunately most of the photos were from me originally so it was easy to return them in answer to the request.

Bonjour Garry.

Thank you for that answer. I ask myself the following question:
Is it better to weld the guard rather than the pommel?
It is very difficult to distinguish traces of solder on the guard.

solcarlus.