.38 Special Ammunition Box.

post-68-0-97587600-1422140642.jpg

Here is a box for 50 .38 Special Cartridges. I'm un-certain as to how old this is.
Thanks
Mark

Last of the famous Tomcat Plane Captains.

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

Here is a box for 50 .38 Special Cartridges. I'm un-certain as to how old this is.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1199.jpg

I'd guess '70s. I recently threw away a similar box which had gotten worn, which I'm thinking i scrouged during that timeframe. Perhaps an affectionado of ammunition boxes will have a more definitive answer.

Just the box?

If the ammo is in it, look at the head stamp. It should bare the date. Also is it a FMJ round or soft lead? Also helps date it and who it would have been issued to.

To me, it dose look later issued.

Dirteater101

Head Gun junkie

Old Trooper Gunsmiths

"Support your local gunsmith; Shoot something till it breaks!"

Hello

It came with two Ball cartridges, which were 1956 head-stamped. Were they original to the box?...I don't know?

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

Fmj ball or soft lead?

FMJ= USAF issue.

56, yeah. Probably original to the box. Would fit the lettering font.. By later, I meant post ww2... Uncle Sam was never very creative with his labels...

Dirteater101

Head Gun junkie

Old Trooper Gunsmiths

Fmj ball or soft lead?

FMJ= USAF issue.

56, yeah. Probably original to the box. Would fit the lettering font.. By later, I meant post ww2... Uncle Sam was never very creative with his labels...

Why do you say FMJ is USAF issue? During Vietnam, all the Army pilots I knew that carried .38's had ball rounds.

The RA means it was made by Remington Arms, in Bridgeport Conn. The headstamp should also indicate an RA along with the date, that would help prove they came from the same box as well. I agree that these are post KW and probably pre Vietnam.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Hello

All right, I was under the impression that Ball was another name for "Full Metal Jacket"? or was I wrong?

As for "soft lead"?, I've never seen Mil. issue .38 Special cartridges with soft lead bullets before, but then again I have not seen many Mil. .38 Special rounds before all together.

Thanks

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

Hello

That is what I thought.

Ball=FMJ

I like the term "Ball" better, not sure why?, maybe because it sounds more "traditional" to me? FMJ sounds "sterile" to me...not that it makes a difference.

Thanks

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

The usaf was one of the largest users of the .38 revolver. Also the longest user of such.Most of the .38 special ammunition I have examined was manufactured for the usaf and to their specifications. There are a few cases of "off the shelf" commercial ammo being issued out in times of war or shortage, but most of them were military boxed.

There are the soft lead issue rounds out there. these were used for range ammo or stateside policing duties. The use of non jacket rounds in a combat area is prohibited by the Geneva convention. But aviators being who they are (spoken as a life long ground pounder) have an ability to get most of anything, or at least used to... Army aviation seems to be no exception...

Dirteater101

Head Gun junkie

Old Trooper Gunsmiths

Gentlemen:

I think this ammo was the predecessor to the M41 Ball 130 grain FMJ ammunition. As such it was the ammo that was issued for use in the Colt and S&W Aircrewman lightweight revolvers, but could have also been used in leftover Victories, Colt Detective Specials and S&W Model 10 and Model 56 revolvers. The M41 Ball ammo, along with some 158 grain metal clad ammo, was used by the USAF and all services with .38 Special revolvers up through the Viet Nam era. The M41 load is fairly anemic in order to function without destroying the alloy guns. The USAF later adopted the similar but higher velocity PGU-12/B 130 grain FMJ ammunition which was primarily used in the S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece revolvers.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

38 Special 130 gr Ball white Box Rem.jpg

M41 Ball.jpg

PGU-12B38Spec ammo USAF Lake City.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Fmj ball or soft lead?

FMJ= USAF issue.

in field manual 23-35 both 1960 and 1971 in authorized ammuntion for .38 revolvers the only 130 grain bullet is a short colt round and it says nothing about the m41 special round is that why you called it an usaf round and did the army issue m41 ball

Did the army issue m41 ball?

Ken:

Yes. The HQ/Department of the Army Tech Manual entitled "Ammunition Data Sheets", TM43-0001-27 dated April, 1994, lists M41 Ball ammunition. I have posted that page, as well as two others on USGI .38 Special ammunition.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

TM43-0001-27ArmyAmmoDataSheets 82.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.