SkilCraft Pens

TomcatPC

Hello

Here are two late-1980s-early 1990s SkilCraft US Government pens.

Mark

Action-packed LOL!!

DSCN1122.jpg

I was just getting ready to offer up some of these to a good home!

The Army would not have functioned without these!

I see you have both the plain barrel and scarce striped barrel models. :lol:

Hello

This is hilarious, of all the things I have posted so far, this one has got the most attention LOL.

Thanks

Mark

ehrentitle

I keep finding them in drawers and old uniform pockets. I guess I have a full set, enough to write an authoritative book.

Here are the three types:

4596943378_a14d8c6227_b.jpg

There is a "recycled" version now? That must have been a while after I was out of the Service (1993) LOL.

Mark

ehrentitle
There is a "recycled" version now? That must have been a while after I was out of the Service (1993) LOL.

Mark

I retired in 2003, so it's probably about 7 years old.

I keep finding them in drawers and old uniform pockets. I guess I have a full set, enough to write an authoritative book.

Here are the three types:

4596943378_a14d8c6227_b.jpg

Geeeez........... I've got a drawer full of these.

The one on top in the medium point was the best ever. Fine point sucked as did the all plastic pens on the bottom.

I'm not sure if they still give these out. I've gotten where I buy my own gel pens now. Those are pretty nice.

Don't forget the official Skillcraft mechanical pencil... this would probably date back to the 1980's. It has SKILLCRAFT on the face of the clip.

It was tools such as these that ensured the collapse of Communism and fall of the Berlin Wall! LOL!

Skillcraft_pencil_1.jpg

Skillcraft_pencil_2.jpg

OK, just rooted through the office drawers and found a Skilcraft mechanical pencil. They are now a pretty blue, with a black rubber grip band. No "US Government" on it though.

I recall the white stick pens as well. I only Served one four year enlistment so I really don't have that many of these lurking about, although I'm certain there are more stashed away in boxes that I forgot about. I'm not certain if it was a good idea for me to have posted these in the first place LOL. Seems to have garnered more attention than posting photos of my Dad's Naval Aviation Kit Items that he used in the War LOL.

I think a lot of the things I have posted have been boring...but not this topic for some reason LOL.

Thanks

Mark

The jeep, the LST, the C-47 -- and the Skilcraft pens -- saved America.

We called the non-retractable version the "M-1 Device, Writing" and the retractable the M-1A1.

The triple-stripe pattern came later -- mid-1980s maybe -- and would be the M-1E2.

The all-plastic thing was so different it would be the M-2 (Limited Standard).

Skilcraft BTW is the tradename of products of the Lighthouse For the Blind charity, IIRC.

ehrentitle

I've got several other versions of Skilcraft pencils, markers, and pens here at the office. I'll bring a few home tonight to scan and post for volume 2 of the authoritative reference.

stonewaller

I Hate to break it to you mate, but i think you've been ripped off, i'm pretty sure those are cheap copy, reproduction pens... :)

ehrentitle
Geeeez........... I've got a drawer full of these.

The one on top in the medium point was the best ever. Fine point sucked as did the all plastic pens on the bottom.

I'm not sure if they still give these out. I've gotten where I buy my own gel pens now. Those are pretty nice.

I'm working for Uncle Sam as a civilian and we still get Skilcraft pens and other items. However they usually sit on the shelf of the supply cabinet since we can get better commerical pens thru the SSSC store.

ehrentitle
I Hate to break it to you mate, but i think you've been ripped off, i'm pretty sure those are cheap copy, reproduction pens... :)

Mine have provonance, they were all collected in the line of duty. I wouldn't be suprised if someone specializes in collecting these, there is a collector for everything. A few years back someone came into the Quartermaster Museum to do a study on different type of WWII issue toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, soap, etc.

stonewaller

So, they've actually seen action? Outstanding. So they must be original Fixed clip? Not that modern swivel clip nonsense some people are trying to pass off as the real deal.

ehrentitle
So, they've actually seen action? Outstanding. So they must be original Fixed clip? Not that modern swivel clip nonsense some people are trying to pass off as the real deal.

Most of my old BDUs have ink stains on the pockets to prove it.

ehrentitle

A quick sweep of drawers at work and home yielded this treasure trove of Skilcraft collectibles. I'd forgotten how many types of pens and other writing utensils they produced, Note the variation on the classic black pen. There is a version with white dots and one without.

4599603187_653dd1a14e_b.jpg

Hello

I went into the Service in 1989 and from then on to circa 1991 or 1992 all I recall seeing was the "plain barrel" version of the retractable ball point pen.

About 1991 or '92 I recall seeing the "striped" barrel version appear. I got out of the Service in 1993 and I know it was getting to the latter part of my enlistment when I saw the striped versions the first time.

I'm not certain if this topic has become hilarious...or neroutic? Not sure if I should feel good for starting this or just sort of walk away and never look back LOL.

I didn't mean to start this sort of pandamoneum (misspelled, Dyslexia is bad tonight, made worse by writing about writing tools LOL).

Thanks (I think?)

Mark

Wow, I have never seen such a good example of Fraud, Waste and Abuse as I have seen in this thread......OOoooohhhh..... Shame, shame. ;)

-Ski