1st Sgt George Humphrey, 6th Marines, WW-I

USMCRECON

Bonjour.

Here is an article in the local newspaper last Saturday. I hope we will have information about his funeral from you.

regards solcarlus.

post-241-1275331475.jpg

Last I heard, his sister wanted him buried at Arlington sometime this summer. I have nothing more definitive at this point. I'll post other developments as soon as they're available for public release.

Bonjour USMCRECON.

Last I heard, his sister wanted him buried at Arlington sometime this summer. I have nothing more definitive at this point. I'll post other developments as soon as they're available for public release.

merci.

solcarlus.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be in attendance at the graveside ceremonies this afternoon as 1st Sergeant George Humphrey, United States Marine Corps, is laid to rest with full military honors in Arlington Cemetery.

The funeral/graveside ceremony for 1st Sgt Humphrey went off yesterday without a hitch, even though it was about 95 degrees and about 90% humidity. The Marine Band was there in their red dress red blouses/white trousers and the eulogy was delivered by a field-grade Navy Chaplain in dress whites.

The honor guard was there in summer dress blues with their M-16s for the 21-gun salute. The pall bearers were also in summer blues with ribbons. The officer in charge; for this event, a Marine Brigadier General, and his SEA, a Gunny were also in summer blues with medals instead of ribbons.

It all went off with typical Marine precision and ceremony. I tried to take some pictures with my phone camera but it went dead. If/when I can get some pictures form another attendee, I'll post a couple here.

Bill - Was wondering if the Press covered this most unusal recovery/burial?

Semper Fi.......Bob

Bill - Was wondering if the Press covered this most unusal recovery/burial?

Semper Fi.......Bob

I there with our office's family liaison team and our Deputy Assistant SECDEF (for POWs and Missing Personnel) and I didn't see any civilian press in attendance. Our press liaison provided the local DC papers with the story but I don't think it was run. There were video and still photographers from either Leatherneck or the Marine Gazette, or some other Marine periodical....not sure which, but that was all I saw.

I don't think that was all that surprising, though....the press just dosn't care about something like that anymore.

Brian Dentino
I there with our office's family liaison team and our Deputy Assistant SECDEF (for POWs and Missing Personnel) and I didn't see any civilian press in attendance. Our press liaison provided the local DC papers with the story but I don't think it was run. There were video and still photographers from either Leatherneck or the Marine Gazette, or some other Marine periodical....not sure which, but that was all I saw.

I don't think that was all that surprising, though....the press just dosn't care about something like that anymore.

Now that is sad!

Anyway, welcome home Marine! Semper Fi, and rest in peace forever more on the hallowed ground with your brothers in arms! :salute: :salute: :salute:

I am sure that he will be welcomed with open arms at his final call by his brothers in arms. God grant him rest.

Bonjour.

Thank you for this information. It st a shame that there have been no reporting done by the media.

solcarlus.

teufelhunde.ret

Sadly your right Dave, thank you for the update!

that most have been a rare honor for the Honor Guard who provided the detail. Glad it went well, another Marine finally home, Semper Fi

that most have been a rare honor for the Honor Guard who provided the detail. Glad it went well, another Marine finally home, Semper Fi

I think they were honored to be part of this ceremony. I'd be surprised if any of them will have another chance to participate in the burial of a WW-I Marine who had been missing for 92 years. I heard no complaints at all, even though the temp was in the upper 90s, the sun was blistering, and all but the Navy Chaplain were in wool dress blues (red for the bandsmen) blouses.

I'm still waiting for copies of the pictures from the burial ceremony and I will post a couple as soon as I get them. I do have a copy of one pre-enlistment photo of 1st Sgt Humphrey and it's posted below. He had been a successful businessman before enlisting in the Marines. Below the picture is the official narrative of the discovery of his grave and the circumstances of his loss, taken from the burial service hand-out. This is now in the public domain.

post-1107-1278540070.png

In September 2009 French nationals hunting for war relics in a wooded area west of the village of Rembercourt-sur-Mad, approximately 17 miles northeast of St. Mihiel, found artifacts that they believed to be those of an American soldier from World War I. The men notified French authorities, who in turn notified the US Government. From 20-23 October 2009 a JPAC team traveled to Rembercourt-sur-Mad village and excavated the purported World War I burial. The team recovered human remains and non-biological material evidence, including possible identification media.

Available evidence establishes that 1st Sgt George H. Humphrey died on 15 September 1918 during the battle of St. Mihiel. He was buried near the French village of Rembercourt by fellow Marines, though post-war attempts the grave were unsuccessful. In 2009 French nationals found an unmarked grave west of the town of Rembercourt-sur-Mad, less than 250 meters from the location where 1st Sgt Humphrey was believed to be buried. A subsequent excavation of the burial by JPAC personnel resulted in the recovery of human remains and material evidence. The non-biological material evidence and the location circumstantially link the remains to the U.S. 2nd Infantry Division circa 12-16 September 1918,specifically to a U.S. Marine assigned to the 6th Marine Regiment.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, the next couple posts are uploads of as handful of pictures from 1st Sgt Humphrey's funeral at Arlington Cemetery. Top is Brigadier General Miller from MC/CDC at Quantico. He was the senior officer in charge and is pictured with one of Top Humphrey's family members. The bottom one is the French Military Attaché with the family.

post-1107-1279582775.jpg

post-1107-1279582781.jpg

Top is the band and honor guard. Below is the Marine casket bearers approaching the hearse at graveside.

post-1107-1279583019.jpg

post-1107-1279583028.jpg

At top: Honor guard preparing to march to their position behind and to the right of the grave. Bottom: Pall bearers about to remove the casket for the final walk to graveside.

post-1107-1279583165.jpg

post-1107-1279583173.jpg

Top: Folding of the flag. Bottom: Some of the attendees, including yours truly in the background with the suit and sunglasses.

post-1107-1279583499.jpg

post-1107-1279583507.jpg

Top: the honor guard about to render the 21 gun salute. Bottom: BG Miller about to render a salute after presenting the flag to the sister and niece and offering his condolences to the family.

post-1107-1279583715.jpg

post-1107-1279583721.jpg

Top: The Chaplain offering his condolences. Bottom: One of the sharpest Gunny Sergeants I've ever seen, the Burial Detail NCOIC, offering his condolences.

post-1107-1279583870.jpg

post-1107-1279583876.jpg

This is a fantastic thread. Bill, are there any additional photographs of the ceremony?

Yes. All the pictures that I have are now posted.

fantastic photos, thanks for sharing. A few officers with history majors have been asking me if I'd heard of this, and been coming back for updates once they found out I'm well informed

Thanks for sharing these, Bill. Long over-due honors for the Top. :salute:

A great of example of "SEMPER FIDELIS"..........Bob