Spanish American War Veterans' Association ??

mjanson

I've been told that this is from the Spanish American War Veterans' Association. Can Anyone confirm that claim? Also, what is the image in the center of the cross?

post-11758-1273165922.jpg

Salvage Sailor
I've been told that this is from the Spanish American War Veterans' Association. Can Anyone confirm that claim? Also, what is the image in the center of the cross?

Aloha,

It's very similar to the United Spanish War Veterans cross (USWV), especially the center figures. This is my Gr. Grandfathers USWV Cross and his lapel pin for comparrison.

17a_16th_PA_Mementos_2.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Your particular cross may be from one of the competing SAW veterans organizations which merged to form the USWV.

Spanish War Veterans

Spanish American War Veterans

Servicemen of the Spanish War

Legion of Spanish War Veterans

Veteran Army of the Philippines

And here is a link to explain who & what the three figures symbolize in the center of the cross

History of our USWV lapel pin

KevinBeyer

I am going to suggest that your pendant might be from a reunion badge of the U.S.W.V. I am willing to bet that the (missing) ribbon would have had the date and the city printed on it where this event took place. This pendant does not match any of the National Encampment reunion badges I have seen. It might have been from a state level encampment.

Unfortunately this is an area of militaria that is not well documented. Hopefully over time more information will come to light about these pins. Although, a good place to start would be The History of the United Spanish War Veterans Through National Encampment Memorabilia by George G. Kane.

Kevin