G.O. FLIGHT SUIT

BEAST

I was out doing some relic hunting, er, uhm, I mean I was heading to a business conference and stopped to stretch my legs. Just happened to stop in front of an Army surplus store so I thought I would just take a quick look.

As I was browsing, I saw this among a group of flight suits:

post-203-1184374672.jpg

This looked promising, so I pulled it off the rack. This is what I saw

post-203-1184374811.jpg

THere was still some insignia on it

post-203-1184374766.jpg

post-203-1184375213.jpg

but unfortunetly the name plate was missing. However luck was still with me as I looked at the tag in the collar:

post-203-1184375155.jpg

The price was right and I figured I had a good shot at finding the general on the Air Force biography website.

After reading every Taylor bio on the website, I ran across one that I think is it. Here is an excerpt from the site. The whole thing can be read at:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=7343

BRIGADIER GENERAL DANIEL A. TAYLOR JR.

Retired Sep. 1, 1988.

Brigadier General Daniel A. Taylor Jr. is deputy chief of staff, logistics, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.

General Taylor was born in 1939, in Perrysburg, Ohio, and graduated from Monroe (Mich.) High School. He received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Mich., in 1961 and a master's degree in industrial engineering from Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz., in 1963. He completed Armed Forces Staff College in 1971, the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1976 and the Advanced Management Program at Harvard University in 1984.

He received his pilot wings in August 1965 at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz., and entered combat crew training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., flying F-100s. General Taylor was then assigned to the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Bien Hoa Air Base, Republic of Vietnam. Upon his return to the United States in April 1967, he served as an F-100 and F-111 instructor pilot with the 27th Tactical Fighter Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.

In September 1978 General Taylor joined The Thunderbirds at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., as the commander-leader selectee. He subsequently was promoted and assigned as the assistant deputy chief of staff for studies, analysis and gaming, Tactical Fighter Weapons Center, also at Nellis. He transferred to Randolph Air Force Base in June 1979 and established the initial Air Force Retention Group at the Military Personnel Center.

General Taylor is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours and 323 combat missions in fighter aircraft. His military decorations and awards include the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 16 oak leaf clusters and the Air Force Commendation Medal.

He was promoted to brigadier general Oct. 1, 1985, with same date of rank.

(Current as of October 1986)

With all of you posting your G.O. uniforms, I am happy to be able to post my first!

I was out doing some relic hunting, er, uhm, I mean I was heading to a business conference and stopped to stretch my legs. Just happened to stop in front of an Army surplus store so I thought I would just take a quick look.

As I was browsing, I saw this among a group of flight suits:

TAYLOR_LEFT_SHOULDER.jpg

This looked promising, so I pulled it off the rack. This is what I saw

TAYLOR_FLIGHT_SUIT_1.jpg

THere was still some insignia on it

TAYLOR_RT_SHOULDER.jpg

TAYLOR_ATC_SSI.jpg

but unfortunetly the name plate was missing. However luck was still with me as I looked at the tag in the collar:

TAYLOR_TAG.jpg

The price was right and I figured I had a good shot at finding the general on the Air Force biography website.

After reading every Taylor bio on the website, I ran across one that I think is it. Here is an excerpt from the site. The whole thing can be read at:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=7343

BRIGADIER GENERAL DANIEL A. TAYLOR JR.

Retired Sep. 1, 1988.

Brigadier General Daniel A. Taylor Jr. is deputy chief of staff, logistics, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.

General Taylor was born in 1939, in Perrysburg, Ohio, and graduated from Monroe (Mich.) High School. He received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Mich., in 1961 and a master's degree in industrial engineering from Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz., in 1963. He completed Armed Forces Staff College in 1971, the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1976 and the Advanced Management Program at Harvard University in 1984.

He received his pilot wings in August 1965 at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz., and entered combat crew training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., flying F-100s. General Taylor was then assigned to the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Bien Hoa Air Base, Republic of Vietnam. Upon his return to the United States in April 1967, he served as an F-100 and F-111 instructor pilot with the 27th Tactical Fighter Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.

In September 1978 General Taylor joined The Thunderbirds at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., as the commander-leader selectee. He subsequently was promoted and assigned as the assistant deputy chief of staff for studies, analysis and gaming, Tactical Fighter Weapons Center, also at Nellis. He transferred to Randolph Air Force Base in June 1979 and established the initial Air Force Retention Group at the Military Personnel Center.

General Taylor is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours and 323 combat missions in fighter aircraft. His military decorations and awards include the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 16 oak leaf clusters and the Air Force Commendation Medal.

He was promoted to brigadier general Oct. 1, 1985, with same date of rank.

(Current as of October 1986)

With all of you posting your G.O. uniforms, I am happy to be able to post my first!

Congratulations!

CNY Militaria

Nice find! Especially for a surplus store where I always either find junk or stripped uniforms.

Justin

did it come from the same area where he retired? near Randolph AFB, TX? wonder how it ended up at the surplus store?

did it come from the same area where he retired? near Randolph AFB, TX? wonder how it ended up at the surplus store?

That's a good question! No, I bought this in Missouri. I asked the surplus store owner if he had any more info or other items, but he didn't know where it came from.

Thanks Gil! Did you notice he is originally from Perrysburg?

Yeah, saw that! Small world!

G

• 1 month later...

I was unable to get his records from St. Louis. Someone (I think it was DAVE or 4STARCHRIS) responded that his records may be in Texas. I can't find the original response and was wondering if this is the correct address:

AETC/HO

100 "H" Street

Randolph AFB, TX 78150

I would appreciate it if someone can confirm this address or provide me with the correct one. THANKS!

The Genarals flight suit MIGHT have ended up in a surplus store because flight suits and jackets are usually equipment items and would be turned in before processing out. (At least that's the way it was in the 60's when I was an AF supply man.) Much used equipment goes on end up on the surplus market and we collectors are all thankfull for that! Now, General officers may be allowed to keep this stuff, I just don't know. Since this is a non-standard blue flight suit, he may have been allowed to keep it and it ended up in a surplus store via some other way.

Anyway, this was a super find and thanks for showing it to us! thumbsup.gif

Lee,

Thanks for the explanation! I thought it was interesting that it was not the standard issue suit. Do (did) the Thunderbirds wear a blue flight suit? He served as XO of the Thunderbirds before he was promoted to BG.

Anyway, I found my answer concerning requesting USAF G.O. records. This comes from the following website: http://members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm

AIR FORCE

Active (including National Guard on active duty in the Air Force), TDRL, or general officers retired with pay:

Air Force Personnel Center

HQ AFPC/DPSRP

550 C Street West, Suite 19

Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4721

This is the same info that is posted on the back of the SF-180.

Lee,

Thanks for the explanation! I thought it was interesting that it was not the standard issue suit. Do (did) the Thunderbirds wear a blue flight suit? He served as XO of the Thunderbirds before he was promoted to BG.

Anyway, I found my answer concerning requesting USAF G.O. records. This comes from the following website: http://members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm

AIR FORCE

Active (including National Guard on active duty in the Air Force), TDRL, or general officers retired with pay:

Air Force Personnel Center

HQ AFPC/DPSRP

550 C Street West, Suite 19

Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4721

This is the same info that is posted on the back of the SF-180.

The Thunderbirds have worn red, white and blue flight suits at different periods. Those flight suits are not badged-up like the normal duty flight suit and I believe they are custom made. This blue flight suit you have wouldn't have been worn by the Thunderbirds in the configuration it's now in.

In 1969, I was NCOIC of the Individual Equipment Unit within the 410th Supply Sqd. (SAC), and remember we ordered custom made powder blue flight suits for the bomber (B-52) & Tanker (KC-135) aircrews going to the SAC Bombing Copetition. They had a lot of custom features & really looked super sharp. The crews also got brand new L-2B summer weight flight jackets. Special patches... the works. Those guys got to keep this special clothing after the competition.

The pont is, that sometimes the military might procure special flight clothing for some personnel that they are allowed to keep. This may well be the story behind your generals blue flight suit.

The Thunderbirds have worn red, white and blue flight suits at different periods. Those flight suits are not badged-up like the normal duty flight suit and I believe they are custom made. This blue flight suit you have wouldn't have been worn by the Thunderbirds in the configuration it's now in.

In 1969, I was NCOIC of the Individual Equipment Unit within the 410th Supply Sqd. (SAC), and remember we ordered custom made powder blue flight suits for the bomber (B-52) & Tanker (KC-135) aircrews going to the SAC Bombing Copetition. They had a lot of custom features & really looked super sharp. The crews also got brand new L-2B summer weight flight jackets. Special patches... the works. Those guys got to keep this special clothing after the competition.

The pont is, that sometimes the military might procure special flight clothing for some personnel that they are allowed to keep. This may well be the story behind your generals blue flight suit.

Thanks Lee. I guess when you are deputy chief of staff, logistics, Headquarters Air Training Command, you can pretty much request what you want!

• 4 weeks later...

A great way to start a weekend! I received a packet from Randolph AFB cpncerning BG Taylor. This included copies of his OERs, schools and awards. Of course much of the OERs were censored, but it does show his various assignments during his service.

Copies of his citations for his MSMs, air medals, DFC and Siler Star were included. The following are copies of his citations for the DFC:

post-203-1189866671.jpg