Naval Gun Tampion

sybaris

Howdy

About a year ago I found a U.S. Navy brass tampion for a 5" gun on eBay. It was the real deal, not a brass repro for mounting on a plaque. Unfortunately the auction ended or was removed about a day after it started. Ever since then I have been looking for another with no luck and am curious as to whether those brass tampions are a controlled item.

If anyone knows anything about the collecting of tampions I'd like to hear about it.

thanks

Syb

I used to own a 5" gun on my last ship, and we had a tough time finding a brass tampion. We finally got one from a technician who was visiting the ship...I don't know where he got it from. As far as I know, they aren't a controlled item, but they are hard to find. My guess is that if you run across one of them, it probably "walked" off the ship in someone's seabag...

Dave

• 4 years later...

Since my last post I have acquired three. I now have two 5" and one 6".

I have seen brass tampions for 3" and a wooden one for 16". Would anyone happen to know at what calibre they switch from brass to wood?

Kurt Barickman

If I would have know this in 1984 I could have brought one home with me from Mt. 51 USS Stump (DD-978)

Kurt