MOH Ribbons

36-tex

I'll bet you do a lot of drooling over the racks at the HQ offices there at Lejeune, right? I know I did! the DI school at MCRD-PI has a lot of great ribbon / medal / uniform displays as well. The museum there bites, as I recall, but the schoolhouse was very impressive. Semper FI

I'm never at the offices, and the museum at PI was terrible. I'll have to search now!

If I ever see one of those phoney-vet clowns, I'm gonna give him 2 good ol' fashioned butt whoopings...1) for being a conman SOB, and 2) for messing with my hobby!

And when you're done can I flatten him out and invite the local VFW and A.L. out to the gun range?

I had always know that owning the actual Medal of Honor was illegal. I thought ownership of the ribbon was not a problem but was never absolutely sure. I had always been rather hesitant to put mine on display previously. Anyway, here's a couple of mine. I may have to creats a couple posts as I'm not sure how many images will fit on one post...............Looks like this will only take one pic.

This is actually a composit showing both front and back of eight different ribbons. I know the top one (with the Navy cross) is WW-II. Second row left I think is WW-II but not sure. Second row right is a wide WW-II Navy/Marine. Third row left I'm not sure of; I'm leaning toward WW-II due to the aluminum (or zinc?) backing. Third row right is I think is WW-II or possibly Korea. Fourth row left has some sort of plastic or celophane coating and I believe is WW-II. Fourth row right, the one sewn to the bar I believ is also WW-II. the singleton on the bottom has a cluttch-back mount and I suspecxt it's Vietnam era.

post-1107-1186879020.jpg

This one came mounted on a uniform that I know is Korean War. The owner wore the uniform to the White House in 1951 for the presentation ceremony. The picture is another composite showing both front and back of the same ribbon.

post-1107-1186879547.jpg

This one is also mounted on a WW-II uniform. I can't show the back of this one as all of the ribbons are sewn onto cardboard or fiberboard strips and sewn directly onto the uniform.

post-1107-1186879782.jpg

The last one I'm going to put up is also sewn directly onto the uniform so I can only show the front. It's considerably onder than any of the other ones. I believe it was made up while the owner was still in France after the war.

post-1107-1186879845.jpg

how'd you come across so many?

Many of the non-uniform mounted ones I got when I was a kid in the 50s (I really didn't know what they were for then). The ones sewn to the uniforms, came at various times over the past 20-30 years. The one I think is Vietnam era and the loose one that I think is Korean War each came in a large bag of ribbons that I bought; one at an antique store about five years ago and the other at a flea market several years ago (can't remember exactly when).

Same here. the three Navy are solid. The Army like yours, rings. The air force MOH is one piece.The navy however appear to have been made of several pieces soldered togather.

Thanks for looking.

4starchris