MOH Ribbons

36-tex

I never knew that, learn something new every day. I have heard of a Government color called "Federal Blue". I might be getting this Federal Blue (possible USA flag color) mixed up with the MoH Ribbon Color? In the world the Blue would be called a "Cornflower Blue"

—thanks "M"...

Johnny R.

johnnyrocket

Here is a great way to display a Medal of Honor exhibit. I especially like the ribbon placement.

Johnny R.

post-8038-1254415465.jpg

johnnyrocket

Does the same Government contractors also produce the MoH rosette too?

These are as beautiful as the MoH ribbon design, and even harder to get any valuable qualitative information on it.

Also, what about the actual MoH cases, are they even used today in the White House presentation?

I have seen the presentation given in an ordinary medal display case recently.

Any thoughts on these questions?

Johnny R.

johnnyrocket
Two starkly different suspension systems for Army MOHs I've had the opportunity to view. Both real, one WWII and one Vietnam. Strange, eh?

I think the dies for the top one needs to be replaced.

Speaking of dies for the MoH who makes these. Does anyone ever know where these are made? I have never heard of any government contracted companies that make these. I do know that the Government supplies to manufacturers custom made dies for the production of Federal enforcement agency badges.

Johnny R.

shrapneldude
I think the dies for the top one needs to be replaced.

Speaking of dies for the MoH who makes these. Does anyone ever know where these are made? I have never heard of any government contracted companies that make these. I do know that the Government supplies to manufacturers custom made dies for the production of Federal enforcement agency badges.

Johnny R.

So far as I know, in the US, the only DOD Authorized manufacturer of the MOH is GRACO.

And after what Lordship did, I'm guessing these are locked down good and tight. Here's an example of the hallmark on an issued one.

johnnyrocket
So far as I know, in the US, the only DOD Authorized manufacturer of the MOH is GRACO.

And after what Lordship did, I'm guessing these are locked down good and tight. Here's an example of the hallmark on an issued one.

I'm not sure, but Medallic Arts Company Ltd., in NYC could also have a contract for the MoH production. I know for a fact they do the Presidential Medal of Freedom for the Government.

Johnny R.

shrapneldude
I'm not sure, but Medallic Arts Company Ltd., in NYC could also have a contract for the MoH production. I know for a fact they do the Presidential Medal of Freedom for the Government.

Johnny R.

I *THINK* -- Don't know for sure, but after the HLP fiasco, ALL contracts were revoked. Medallic Arts used to make these, but I'd be very surprised if they still do.

johnnyrocket

You could be right. I do know for sure that Medallic Arts Company Ltd. in NYC does have the contract (excluseively) for the manufacturing for the Space Medal of Honor and The Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Johnny R.

FrankEaton01
You could be right. I do know for sure that Medallic Arts Company Ltd. in NYC does have the contract (excluseively) for the manufacturing for the Space Medal of Honor and The Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Johnny R.

Actually, Medallic Art Company is currently located in Dayton, NV. You can read a summary of their company's history on their website here:

http://www.medallic.com/whymedallicart.htm

If you send them an email, perhaps they could answer your questions about their MoH production.

johnnyrocket
Actually, Medallic Art Company is currently located in Dayton, NV. You can read a summary of their company's history on their website here:

http://www.medallic.com/whymedallicart.htm

If you send them an email, perhaps they could answer your questions about their MoH production.

Your right, my mistake. I guess they started in NYC.

Johnny R.

:rolleyes:

johnnyrocket

I think on their site that they have the actual MoH official Government wording wrong.

It's correct title when referring to the Medal of Honor (branch of service i.e. Navy, Army, Air Force) given in the name of the Congress, and NOT the "Congressional Medal of Honor". This is a common mistake people make. I'm surprised that Medallic Art make this typo.

This by for is an excellent company in my opinion, and their quality control and integrity is unsurpassed.

Johnny R.

• 4 weeks later...
Found this information about MOH miniatures in

a catalog from BB&B from 1928.

Look at the prices !

Michael

Incredible price.

Things have changed since then.

Thanks for the post.

Johnny R. :rolleyes:

I’m curious, what happens if you for whatever reason, wind up with a MoH or component of one somehow. If you don’t want to break the law by having it, how would you get rid of it without also breaking the law? Someone was asking me that the other day and I had no idea. Also, what about family members of the awardees? If one was passed down through the family, isn’t that breaking the law, too?

i think there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to obtain a medal of honor, regardless of where it is, albeit in the united states, in europe, or anywhere else.
Yeah, well, try telling that to the person putting the cuffs on you or handing the subpoena for your court appearance. I understand what you mean, there are laws I don’t agree with (for example, I live in a state where you cannot own a fully automatic weapon of any kind and I think that’s a dumb law), but I have to abide by them. Same thing with the pot smoker crowd, most of them feel the law is dumb, so therefore it’s just fine to break it (and plenty of them are really shocked when they’re put into the police car after the bust). You can think the law doesn’t make sense, but if you’re breaking it, you’re breaking it. Simple as that.

I’m curious, what happens if you for whatever reason, wind up with a MoH or component of one somehow. If you don’t want to break the law by having it, how would you get rid of it without also breaking the law? Someone was asking me that the other day and I had no idea. Also, what about family members of the awardees? If one was passed down through the family, isn’t that breaking the law, too? Yeah, well, try telling that to the person putting the cuffs on you or handing the subpoena for your court appearance. I understand what you mean, there are laws I don’t agree with (for example, I live in a state where you cannot own a fully automatic weapon of any kind and I think that’s a dumb law), but I have to abide by them. Same thing with the pot smoker crowd, most of them feel the law is dumb, so therefore it’s just fine to break it (and plenty of them are really shocked when they’re put into the police car after the bust). You can think the law doesn’t make sense, but if you’re breaking it, you’re breaking it. Simple as that.

It is not against the law to have.

It is against the law to sell, trade, copy etc. in the US.

If you had one, your options are to keep it or give it away. If you want to sell it, do it while you are on vacation in another country.

It is not against the law to have.

It is against the law to sell, trade, copy etc. in the US.

Ah, I had thought it was totally illegal in all cases. I didn't know someone could give one to me and my ownership of it would be legal.
If you had one, your options are to keep it or give it away. If you want to sell it, do it while you are on vacation in another country.
But didn't medal collectors get by the laws against selling other medals for a long time by saying they'd "give" the medal away to whoever would buy something else for a price? :think:

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here ever observed a ribbon bar with the army "type II" MoH ribbon on it? This is not the original stylized flag version but rather the short-lived red white and blue version of the late 18th century. Finding one is probably unlikely since it was superseded by the ribbon we've been discussing.

I was going through a bag of loose ribbons and stuff and found this....forgot I had it. I got it about 15-20 years ago from a fellow collector/dealer who trid to get me to buy a MOH as well but I never got around to getting one from him. I really wish I had but I guess it's too late now.Looks like it's marked G27 GI on the back. Am I correct that it would be vietnam era or later?

I am in total agreement with a law that makes it illegal to pass oneself off as a MOH awardee (or any other decoration) but I think it is ridiculous that collectors who value these items and want to display them with their collections can't trade or sell them anymore. Everytime the government tries to fix something, all it does is screw things up worse.

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

Has anyone here ever observed a ribbon bar with the army "type II" MoH ribbon on it? This is not the original stylized flag version but rather the short-lived red white and blue version of the late 18th century. Finding one is probably unlikely since it was superseded by the ribbon we've been discussing.

First, assume you meant late 19th century. There was no ribbon bar for the 1862 type or the 1896 type. The 1896 had a lapel ribbon bow as part of the Tiffany case it was awarded in. They are rare and I doubt most people would recognize it as an MOH appurtance.

Bobgee

I'm agree with you TLoe...the President about 2 weeks ago could not distinguish between a "Medal of Honor" recipient and a "Presidential Medal of Freedom" recipient.

I just feel bad for our men and women in the military now, they are the ones who are suffering from the lack of informed leadership.

I wonder what living Medal of Honor recipients think of all this? :think:

Johnny R. :crying:

First, assume you meant late 19th century. There was no ribbon bar for the 1862 type or the 1896 type. The 1896 had a lapel ribbon bow as part of the Tiffany case it was awarded in. They are rare and I doubt most people would recognize it as an MOH appurtance.

Bobgee

Er, typo on my end.

I'm referring to ribbon bars with sewn-on ribbons, though (i.e., more than one ribbon).

Er, typo on my end.

I'm referring to ribbon bars with sewn-on ribbons, though (i.e., more than one ribbon).

Well, since the 1896 MOH was superceded by the 1904 MOH and the U.S. had no campaign medals until 1908, I don't believe there were any Ribbon Bars worn until after 1908 when the Campaign medals were issued witha Ribbon bar so I'd say there were no 1896 RBs worn, just the 'new' 1904 Ribbon. My 2-cents.....Bob

.........i think there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to obtain a medal of honor, regardless of where it is, albeit in the united states, in europe, or anywhere else.....

-etg

Perhaps not "trying" but obtaining is, of course, a violation of federal law.

• 9 months later...
U.S. medal collector

What does the very recent rulings by not one, but two Federal District Courts mean for the Collectors to be able to once again legally buy and sell the Medal Of Honor in the USA ??? Years ago, as long as you included a 'trade item' you could loophole buying and selling of ALL United States Military medals. So, is there any legal eagles that can say where the Collector stands legally at this time, or do we have to wait until the final challenge at the US Supreme court even though the Stolen Valor Laws have been deemed unconstitutional already by Federal Courts on a District level. :think:

I really hope that once this whole thing is settled, that the politicians can get a law made that specifically goes after the 'phoney hero' but protects the rights of a legitimate Collector to freeely exercise his or her right to Collect without laws the punish a Collector for the acts of those rouge individuals who portray themselves as phoney heroes. ;)

Just my thoughts on this whole debacle of 'faulty legislation.'

• 3 weeks later...

Amen brother! It’s a shame that the legit collector has to fear for his lively hood for even sharing his collection to educate the public. A good friend of mine, ex-SF now in a wheel chair, gave up his huge collection, given to him by fellow SF members, to the CMOH Society after being harassed by the FBI for years. They did not take anything away from him just made him miserable until he wanted nothing more to do with it.

Mark D