Battle Honors for CBI Units

Guest Lucknow

Guest Lucknow

Does anyone know which Units/Divisions/Groups of the US Army received Battle Honors for their service in China, India or Burma during WW2?

• 1 year later...

Catching up on some old posts and noticed you didn't get any replies to this one. The 7th Bomb Group received two Distinguished Unit Citations - one for the longest heavy bomber formation raid raid of the war on 19 Mar 45 (2700mi 18 1/2 hrs).

If you have any Air Corps units in mind, let me know and I'll look them up for you.

Jim

Jim,

I just saw this post and I hope it is alright that I am adding my question to it. My Grandfather was with the 1330th Army Air Corp during WWII. One of his medals that I have is a unit citation. I have been trying to find out how they got the citation. I believe he was based in Assam. I have been trying to find out some information about the 1330th. Do you know of any good places for me to research?

Thanks for any help....Kat

Kat,

Except for the Flying Tigers and the 14th Air Force, trying to find info on other CBI units is hard to come by. Here's what I know -- the 1330th Army Air Force Base Unit was part of the India-China Wing of the Air Transport Command. It was formerly known as Station 21. It was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for actions in Dec 1943 per War Dept General order #18/1944. A Base Unit was responsible for supporting an air field (personnel, administration, mess hall, supply, transportation, etc.). I don't know exactly where station 21 was but it was one of the airfields responsible for the Hump airlift to China. As far as research goes try writing to :

Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424

They should be able to give you a brief history and a copy of the DUC citation (give them the General order no. above). There's also a good web site - I don't have the link handy but Google "the United States Army Air Force in WWII" and you'll find it.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim,

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for the information. I am definitely going to write the Air Force Historical Research Agency. I really appreciate this so much...Kat

Jim,

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for the information. I am definitely going to write the Air Force Historical Research Agency. I really appreciate this so much...Kat

My pleasure.

Jim

• 7 months later...
Jim,

I just saw this post and I hope it is alright that I am adding my question to it. My Grandfather was with the 1330th Army Air Corp during WWII. One of his medals that I have is a unit citation. I have been trying to find out how they got the citation. I believe he was based in Assam. I have been trying to find out some information about the 1330th. Do you know of any good places for me to research?

Thanks for any help....Kat

Dear Kat, My name is Rosemary Iannucci Thomas and my father served in the 1330th at Assam and he also got the Presidential Unit Citation but like you I can't find out anything. His name was Joseph Louis Iannucci and was a sargent. Did your grandfather tell you anything? I am trying to find out anything that I can. Thanks Rosemary My e-mail is [email protected]

• 2 months later...

ddaymilitaria publishes a book that covers all US unit awards from WW2. Unfortunately, it only covers them by unit number listing, so you cannot look up geographical areas or who qualified for what campaign like the WW1 books do.

I have a copy and can look up specific units if needed.

Hope that helps.

Dave