Navy battle lanterns

Bob Hudson

I picked up a Navy battle lantern recently, and then we watched PT-109 where a battle lantern gets a minor starring role. I looked through the forum and found bits and pieces about this equipment so I thought it was time to give it its own thread and maybe we can see some of the different styles. These are water-proof, and should also be safe around explosive fumes.

There were two basic types: hard-wired and battery-powered. This one is battery operated and uses two of those big old six-volt batteries with the spring contacts on top:

battlant1.jpg

I opened this up and discovered a nice paper labels that provides some details. Notice there are four types shown - the battery operated one, one for 110 volts AC, one for 115 volts DC and one for 230 volts DC. The battery-powered one is designated the Sym. No. 100.2 Portable model and you can find online a brand new one of these for sale for $98 under that model number. This label also shows an "FSN" or Federal Stock Number which would date this particular battle lantern to the 1960's. What is interesting is that this one is gray, when it had been thought that by the 60's they were all yellow. It may well be that the label was added to an older lantern during repair or rehab.

battlant3.jpg

Here's some more of the inside:

battlant4.jpg

The lamps look a bit like a headlight from an old six-volt Volkswagen: I can imagine these wore the batteries down rather quickly. A pair of these batteries today runs close to $20 with tax so I resisted temptation to put in a fresh set and see how long they lasted.

battlant5.jpg

On the back is a bracket to attach it to bulkhead brackets.

battlant2.jpg

Bob Hudson

As I mentioned, you can buy new ones online: they also sell kits to replace the old power-hungry incandescent bulbs with LED's.

lantern.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These two (2) lantern are also from the 1960's. They were removed from a decommissioned Yard Tug (YTB) at Pearl Harbor before she was sold off.

They are the same lanterns as above but in yellow plastic rather than grey plastic.

One is a hardwired version & the other is set up to be a portable battle lantern. You can see the two (2) different mounting brackets on the reverse side. Both are of the key-slotted twist off type that were mounted to overheads or bulkheads.

Lanterns_01.jpg

Lanterns_02.jpg

Lanterns_03.jpg

Bob Hudson

Here's one of the earlier styles, possibly WWII. These used tall round batteries.

lanternwwii.jpg

At the end of the WWII the magazine ads offered up war surplus battle lanterns for what must have actually been a lot of money in 1946:

lantern1946ad.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The hard wired version is fed through a water tight packing gland in the top of the lantern. It also has a manual operating switch.

Lanterns_06.jpg

Lanterns_07.jpg

Lanterns_08.jpg

Salvage Sailor

As does the portable battery operated version with the handle.

Both of these lanterns are manufactured by the Roflan Company of Topsfield, Massachusetts.

Lanterns_04.jpg

Lanterns_05.jpg

Lanterns_09.jpg

The hard wired version is fed through a water tight packing gland in the top of the lantern. It also has a manual operating switch.
Salvage, I remeber the hard wired versions had "Press to Test" switches, meaning they would only turn on the light while they were depressed, to test the lantern. The hard wireing was set so that when power was lost, these lamps came on to provide emergencey lighting. As long as power was on, the switch stayed "open" and teh manual switch was there to temporarely "close" the switch to make sure the batteries were still good

Steve Hesson

Salvage Sailor
Salvage, I remeber the hard wired versions had "Press to Test" switches, meaning they would only turn on the light while they were depressed, to test the lantern. The hard wireing was set so that when power was lost, these lamps came on to provide emergencey lighting. As long as power was on, the switch stayed "open" and teh manual switch was there to temporarely "close" the switch to make sure the batteries were still good

Steve Hesson

Quite correct Steve,

That's exactly how the hard wired version works.

• 2 weeks later...
Grizzly Adams

Here are a couple of mine.

DSC01605.jpg

The WWII example is near mint, and still works like a champ!

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

This one maybe from the 1950s or 60s I would guess.

DSC01611.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

these were also used on WWII submarines, I saw some on the USS PAMPANITO in SF

Yes, submarines, Aricraft Carriers, tug boats, landing craft, even found a couple in the back of Navy pick up trucks and vans. I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you might find them in some of the bigger Naval Air Craft like P=3s and such.

Steve Hesson

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I stumbled upon a WW2 era battle lantern, it is painted red. I don't know why it is red, maybe a repair locker asset. Pretty cool no battery so no workie!! Thanks for looking.

Chris

battlelantern015.jpg

battlelantern017.jpg

• 1 month later...
Grizzly Adams
I stumbled upon a WW2 era battle lantern, it is painted red. I don't know why it is red, maybe a repair locker asset. Pretty cool no battery so no workie!! Thanks for looking.

Chris

battlelantern015.jpg

battlelantern017.jpg

This style used two EverReady EN-6. Kinda hard to find, but last time I checked Ralph's Electric (PH# 1-337-234-4507) had them - NOS. I think they are no longer made, but believe the Chinese are making a substitute for same, FWIW. :pinch:

At the end of the WWII the magazine ads offered up war surplus battle lanterns for what must have actually been a lot of money in 1946:

1946-milsurp.ad.jpg

In 2012 dollars, that light would cost $71.30 plus postage (don't ya love inflation?)

• 2 weeks later...
these were also used on WWII submarines, I saw some on the USS PAMPANITO in SF

They indeed are! I saw a number on the USS Cobia in February.

In fact, I took one I had there with me and donated it to the museum as they are one of those items they are always, always looking for, to replace the compliment of them which the sub used to have and can use replacements for. They get them mounted quite quickly I am told, once they get them.

I was told that usually they will not accept donations which are not pre-approved; battle laterns were a different story, they take decent ones on the spot.

If anyone would like to donate any to the Cobia I will give you the curator's name and email address!

MW

• 2 weeks later...

This is a USN marked lantern in Bakelite ( I believe) that I had some years ago. Unfortunately, I dont have any remaining pics of it. Did not know time period that it was from.post-70300-1337173127.jpg

Very nice lantern. I think your bakelite battle lantern is early post WW2 era, around late 40s early 50s is my guess. Here are my battle lanterns. From left to right, is a 1920s era lantern, and two WW2 lanterns, and last is a modern lantern. I still need to find a WW1 lantern.

Chris

SANY0215-3.jpg

Bob Hudson
This is a USN marked lantern in Bakelite ( I believe) ...

Bakelite is carved, not cast, so it won't have seams like you see on this handle:

lanthandle.jpg

• 1 month later...
River Rat 1

I just got a WW2 Battle lantern has any one tried this as a subitute battery since dry cell's are hard to find.

http://www.timesavers.com/catalogmain2.asp...;submit1=Search

I guess 4 d cell batteries go into a adapter and I also found replacement bulb's.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Descri...ProductID=40818

Just ordered these part's and I needs to replace two wire clamp's that hook to the wire's and battery and the battle lantern should work.Any one know how the jumper wire and the two other wire's hook up to the batteries ? If this works mite spray paint it haze gray and it will look brand new.

Bob Hudson
I just got a WW2 Battle lantern has any one tried this as a subitute battery since dry cell's are hard to find.

http://www.timesavers.com/catalogmain2.asp...;submit1=Search

I guess 4 d cell batteries go into a adapter and I also found replacement bulb's.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Descri...ProductID=40818

Just ordered these part's and I needs to replace two wire clamp's that hook to the wire's and battery and the battle lantern should work.Any one know how the jumper wire and the two other wire's hook up to the batteries ? If this works mite spray paint it haze gray and it will look brand new.

Some of the battle lanterns used the square lantern batteries with the two springs on top such as this one:

lantbatt.jpg

I have a lantern that takes two of those and they have been expensive, but honestly if you look online you will find a single lantern battery can be cheaper than four d-cell batteries.

Now if you have a source of real cheap d cells (say $7 or less for four), then this adapter is inexpensive ($2.95 from http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lantern6vbatteryadapater.aspx ) -

lantbattd.jpg

Also some battle lanterns have sealed beam light bulbs, basically the same as car headlights used to have: that's one reason these lanterns were useful - it was like turning on a car's headlights (well one of them anyway). I see LED replacements for sealed beams, but they are very expensive.

The Navy started tests with LED battle lanterns (and rechargeable batteries) back in 2003 and found considerable savings.

http://www.navylanterns.com/memo%20of%20support.htm

Bob Hudson
I thought bakelite was an early moldable plastic material?

Bakelite has to be carved, not molded.