M67 gear

svt40

using tm10-276 dated august 1970 in appendix b it states:

belt individual equipment:nylon webbing od army shade 7

carrier intrenching tool:webbing olive drab mrwr

carrier sleeping equipment:og 106

case field:first aid dressing unmounted magnetic compass od cotton

case small arms ammuntion:od 7 m16 rifle 4-20 round mag.

cover water canteen:webbing od 7 mrwr

field pack canvas cotton: combat

suspenders field pack: h-type

regular cotton

long cotton

extra long cotton

if you look at the appendix it shows the: m56 suspenders, m61 field pack,and m56 first aid pouch (all of wich are cotton)

what's this mean to a guy who want's to collect a set of m67 web gear nothing, but if you are wondering what was used in vietnam this might help.

all of this means nothing and just my 2 cents so please don't get mad at me just pointing out something :D

craig_pickrall

I agree with your statement. It is normal to see bits and pieces of M67 gear. I can only recall seeing one photo of a complete set of M67 gear in use on one person. That was a USAF Pararescue man. The only other photos are staged to show the gear for manuals or magazines.

craig_pickrall

Have any of you ever seen a photo of the sleeping gear carrier in use? I mean in real life and not a manual or other publication or a re-enactor.

in field manual 21-15 dated august 1972 in chapter 5

it just shows the m56 sleeping bag straps and m56 suspenders and says nothing about the m67 sleeping carrier.

do you need the m67 suspenders to use the m67 sleeping carrier?

as a side note i read (on the internet) that someones third cousin who knew a guy who walked by supply said: that the m67 sleeping carriers didn't get into supply until after alice came out and with the alice packs you didn't need the m67 carrier and that's why you see so many nos m67 sleeping equipment carriers on the surplus market. i wouldn't belive that for a second.

craig_pickrall
in field manual 21-15 dated august 1972 in chapter 5

it just shows the m56 sleeping bag straps and m56 suspenders and says nothing about the m67 sleeping carrier.

do you need the m67 suspenders to use the m67 sleeping carrier?

as a side note i read (on the internet) that someones third cousin who knew a guy who walked by supply said: that the m67 sleeping carriers didn't get into supply until after alice came out and with the alice packs you didn't need the m67 carrier and that's why you see so many nos m67 sleeping equipment carriers on the surplus market. i wouldn't belive that for a second.

Normally FM 21-15 would be your go to manual for this sort of gear but in the case of the M67 stuff it is not very good. The M67 was never covered in good detail in that manual. Instead you need to refer to TM 10-276 HOT WEATHER CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT. This manual covers all of the field uniforms and gear intended for the Asian theater of operations. It covers much of what is in FM 21-15 as well as the other special gear. The sleep gear carrier will work with the M56 or M67 suspenders but not the ALICE.

I don't think the sleep gear carrier received much use but it was in the system. In the late 70's and early 80's there were piles of them at all the surplus stores at Ft Bragg. Most were in new condition but you would see the occassional used one. I think these were selling for about a dollar at that time.

What's the difference between teh M67 canteen covers and the newer ones? I come across the newer ones all the time and would like to be able to spot an older one rather than looking for a date on each and every one.

Also on the shovel cover, when did it change to the plastic cover instead of the nylon one?

The difference between early '67 pattern canteen covers and the later ones are the plastic snaps on the closure....not to be confused with LC1 canteen covers...the difference between those and '67 ones are,apart from the obvious stamp on the back giving its designation,if legible,the stitching on the '67 ones runs from top to bottom in four rows whereas the LC1 cover has a single stitch line running horizontally across the middle of the cover....im sure there is a thread in the forum somewhere to help you out...just type in canteen cover in the search box and see what turns up.

As for the change from nylon to plastic for the e-tool cover....cant really help you out with that except the plastic one is definatly LC1...i suppose both were used together till the older supplies were exhausted.

One other thing....a Tropical rucksack i was watching on e-bay just went for $360......a tad too much i think....a bidding war was happening....dont get carried away with paying over the top prices for your M67 gear....bargains will and do turn up.....just got to bide your time

Hope that helps a little

Kev

What's the difference between teh M67 canteen covers and the newer ones? I come across the newer ones all the time and would like to be able to spot an older one rather than looking for a date on each and every one.

Also on the shovel cover, when did it change to the plastic cover instead of the nylon one?

What we know today as the LC-2 water canteen cover actually started out as a modification to the M-1967 cover in 1971-72. The designation was changed to LC-1 in 1973 and then to LC-2 in 1975. Even though the designations of the M-1967 water canteen cover has changed the FSN/NSN has not. So, basically, the LC-2 water canteen cover is still the M-1967 water canteen cover, just with modifications.

The major differences are that the 1968 and early 1969 contract covers have plastic snaps [all others, including late 1969 contracts, have metal snaps] and the 1968 through 1972 contracts have vertical stitching with no inner reinforcement band [to keep the canteen cup from rubbing through]. Also an easy way to spot a M-1967 cover [manufactured from 1968 through 1972] is that there is no grommet drain hole. In 1973 this was added.

In 1972-73 the inner band was added and by 1975 the vertical stitching was eliminated. Thus the 1973, 1974, and some 1975 contract covers have both the vertical stitching and reinforcement band.

The LC-1 EVA plastic shovel cover was developed in 1968-69 as part of the LINCLOE tests [that led to the ALICE system in 1973]. It officially replaced the nylon cover on paper in 1973, even though the nylon cover was manufactured through FY1974. The nylon cover was officially cancelled in 1975.

Hello

Is this the canteen cover that is a cross between the Model-1967 and the LC-1 Cover?

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1363.jpg

Hello again.

I got three Model-1967 Canteen Covers for $1.50 this last weekend at a Military Vehicle Show in Ohio. All three covers are in great shape, one is contract dated 1968 with plastic fasteners and the other two I got are contract dated 1973, other than having brass fasteners they are identical to the 1968 dated cover. Here are the two 1973 dated covers.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1740.jpg

Hello

Is this the canteen cover that is a cross between the Model-1967 and the LC-1 Cover?

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1363.jpg

Yes. These covers, with both the vertical stitching and reinforcement band started appearing with FY 1973 contracts. I have 1973, 1974, and 1975 contract dated ones. The 1975 contract dated ones are marked "M-1967" while the 1973 and 1974 ones are not.

The two FY1973 dated ones you posted are the last ones made prior to the change in design [adding the drain hole and the reinforcement band], which started with FY1969. I have ones [with metal snaps] contract dated 1969, 1971, 1972, and 1973. There are allegedly 1970 dated ones but I do not have one in my collection.

Hello

I guess that the "Combo" cover I have and posted the photo of is a 1975 contract date. The markings on the back are all but faded away, but I can still make out "M-1967" printed off to one side.

Thanks

Mark

Hello

I can barely read "M-1967", hope the photo backs up my claim LOL.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1752.jpg

Hi this is an interesting thread for sure.

I posted this pic a while back.

post-2260-1274444992.jpg

Since then I have added an LC-1 to the mix.

Sorry no pic of it but it looks like the LC-2 with minor color difference

and if I remember well there is some difference in the stitching.

I will look this week end to put all 4 together.

Lets get this thread back to"where can i get M67 gear" not canteen carrier differences.....i know this is important but we need to get back to the grass roots of purchasing "M67" gear.....ive had my pennies worth on places to purchase.....bargain for myself was 2 years ago when i found a "M67" belt with Davis buckle at the Horndean show in the UK for £3 along with a M43 shovel...AMES 43....for £2.....i know that aint gonna hapen again.....the belt was burried amongst a huge box of LC1 and LC2 belts...like i said before bargains crop up occasionally...only thing is to remember that the least "M67 gear you require the more you are liable to pay for it to complete your collection

Keep us informed of the items you still require and we will hopefully direct you in the right direction to obtain those

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to about the 30rd M67 pouches in Vietnam, heres a photo I found while looking around ebay. Looks like 2 of them on the guy to me. Photo is "majorusarret"s. Description says it was taken in April 72 and the unit is D Company, 2nd Battalion, 8tH Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division.

Bu46LQEWkKGrHqEOKi8Ev-20F36UBMCyyVK.jpg

I would say that looks like the 30rd pouch though its quite blurred around thr fastener. It also looks to me like the guy in background has a 30rd mag in his M16, in fact I am sure he has

• 6 months later...