M67 gear

svt40

Well now that my M56 set is complete I am starting to hunt down some M67 gear. I got lucky when I went down to Ft Hood and found some of the short M67 ammo pouches. Then at the gun show last weekend in Ft Worth I found a guy with a bunch of unissued M67 suspenders. I also have an M67 ruck that is marked for training use only. Still gotta hunt down the rest of it now. I also got lucky and found a box of the old green canteen caps so I was able to replace the black ones on my canteens.

Suspenders dated 1968.

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

The pouch are both dated 1968 as well.

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

I'm confused by what you are calling a "M67 ruck that is marked for training use only." I have never hear of a M67 Rucksack. There is a Lightweight Rucksack, but that predates any of the M67 equipment. There was a nylon M67 Field Pack (sometimes called a "butt pack"), but it is a nylon version of the M56 pack. If yours says anything about training, it is more than likely a post-Vietnam Training Pack (or Pack, Training) and should have that name as part of the markings.

I'm confused by what you are calling a "M67 ruck that is marked for training use only." I have never hear of a M67 Rucksack. There is a Lightweight Rucksack, but that predates any of the M67 equipment. There was a nylon M67 Field Pack (sometimes called a "butt pack"), but it is a nylon version of the M56 pack. If yours says anything about training, it is more than likely a post-Vietnam Training Pack (or Pack, Training) and should have that name as part of the markings.

This one is marked for training as you noted and it looks nothing like the M56 pack. Hate to say with all my books packed away still that anything beyond 1950's gets me a bit lost with all the ALICE, LC1, LC2 etc etc gear.

There is also the short tropical nylon back pack with the M67 features (plastic hdwe). Could have been marked "For Training Use Only" depending on what unit had it and what they did with it. Usually, these are items that are not serviceable for deployment due to wear & tear, being obsolete, or other defects. For example, we had training parachutes that were marked like that and painted red on the harness & pack tray to designate them as for training only. Gave us the feel for the real thing when practicing JMPI & rigging refresher. I think we've seen other stuff marked similarly for training over the years like protective (gas) masks, ammo, & weapons. Odd that they would bother to mark a pack, not usually considered a safety critical item like this.

craig_pickrall

Is this the pack you have? If so it is well post Vietnam. It was late 70's issue and continued in use until the ALICE gear was replaced with MOLLE. It is a close copy of the M67 nylon butt pack but not the same.

post-5-1273117395.jpg

post-5-1273117403.jpg

post-5-1273117411.jpg

post-5-1273117421.jpg

Same NSN but without any of the grommets. Dated 93. Got it when our squadron brought in two tri-walls full of ALICE packs. Us maintainers raided them before they could stop us LOL. I think I ended up with this one as well as one in woodland a few woodland ALICE packs and very large mountain pack with frame.

Everynow and then a M67 buttpack would turn up on ebay, haven't seen one in a while, i shoulda picked one up then there was a few listed.

Two recently came from a seller in Vegas i think....both were gen. .....if you find a cheap one,let me know..... :rolleyes:

Sleeping gear roll..or whatever its correct definition is...are readily available on E-Bay...some at good prices....if not check out www.omahas.com...does these for a good price...have done business with them with no probs and im in the UK

Sleeping gear roll..or whatever its correct definition is...are readily available on E-Bay...some at good prices....if not check out www.omahas.com...does these for a good price...have done business with them with no probs and im in the UK

I may have to drive over there again and see what he has for modern stuff.

Shovel covers are cheap...ish...depending on what date you require....i went full wack and got '69 dated shovel and cover from Moore Militaria...good price again....Compass/First aid pouch/plastic snap.....they appear on e bay round $30 maybee more maybee less.....as for the Buttpack.......give me a shout if ya find one.....Generally...all M1967 first issue gear was "stamped" with a DSA no. and details.....after the initial issue most gear changed slightly.....wartime evolution....the best find i think is the M79 grenade vest first pattern....details stamped on the inside of the nylon duck rather than a sewn in label....plastic snaps present.....big bucks if ya want one

Hello!!!

Was the m67 ammo pouches for 30 rounds magazines used in Vietnam? Or only the 20 rounds magazines model?

As far as i'm aware the M67 30 round mag pouches were not issued during the the war.......BUT........i have seen pics of 30 round magazines on 1st/22inf regt 4th inf div website

msgt norway

i have seen pictures from the evac of the us embasy,where us troops used the 30 round pouch

type m67.

maybe someone have the picture around?

cheers ken

As far as i'm aware the M67 30 round mag pouches were not issued during the the war.......BUT........i have seen pics of 30 round magazines on 1st/22inf regt 4th inf div website

They were used very rarely. Not too long ago I saw a real nice pic of one of the 30rd pouches in VN on an infantryman in the 70-72 period. Ill try to possibly find it.

i have seen pictures from the evac of the us embasy,where us troops used the 30 round pouch

type m67.

maybe someone have the picture around?

cheers ken

I think those were LINCLOE or early ALICE pouches, those were Marines at the embassy, so likely LINCLOE.

Found it...follow the link....http://1-22infantry.org/pics/penxapagethree.htm

fourth pic down....1 30 round magazine sometime in '68....note no pouches though,still the older M14 canvas ones so where this guy kept the magazine/s i dont know...maybee it was a one off private purchase...who knows

Wasnt really uncommon to see some 30rd magazines in use by grunt units late in the war. For an infantryman, there wouldnt of been many so carrying one-a few wouldnt of been too hard. Just whatever worked. Seen pics of an infantryman who managed to get 6 30rd mags and just kept them in the normal bandoleers letting them stick out a little.

Heres a rare pic of a M67 30rd pouch in VN. Early 70s.

post-3788-1223075024.jpg

Wasnt really uncommon to see some 30rd magazines in use by grunt units late in the war. For an infantryman, there wouldnt of been many so carrying one-a few wouldnt of been too hard. Just whatever worked. Seen pics of an infantryman who managed to get 6 30rd mags and just kept them in the normal bandoleers letting them stick out a little.

Heres a rare pic of a M67 30rd pouch in VN. Early 70s.

post-3788-1223075024.jpg

Awesome picture. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

M67 belts are available on e-bay....some being rather pricey....also...please correct me if i'm wrong anyone....the M67 belt was issued with normal and Davis buckles....so prices depend on type of buckle,condition etc....Omahas again has some and so does Moore Militaria but you really need to hunt around to get a good price for a good belt

ps....i'm not staying up for 4 hours hunting for a pic of a belt like i did with the 30rnd mag....lol

Has anyone got a full inventory of "M67" issue gear only

As far as i know it is as follows....please add or correct if i'm wrong

Belt

Pouch 20 rnd mag

Cover canteen 1 qrt

Cover canteen 2 qrt

Suspenders

Pouch first aid/compass

Grenade vest M79

Tropical rucksack

Buttpack????

Often because its nylon of the era then people assume its M67 gear.. If its got plastic snaps then you cant go wrong.....or can you??

craig_pickrall

Some of the items you include are not part of what is commonly called the M67 gear. There are several items made in nylon that are not part of this system. According to TM 10-276 these are the items included in LIGHTWEIGHT (NYLON) LOAD CARRYING EQUIPMENT (M67).

post-5-1273860939.jpg

post-5-1273860963.jpg

post-5-1273860976.jpg

post-5-1273860987.jpg

post-5-1273861017.jpg

post-5-1273861047.jpg

post-5-1273861060.jpg

post-5-1273861082.jpg

post-5-1273861094.jpg

craig_pickrall