Biggest Grouping You've Owned!

Dave

All:

I was thinking the other day about some of the groups that have passed through my hands, and two stand out to me. Not really because of content (though there was some cool content) but because of sheer size.

I am hoping we can have a "show and tell" of massive groups...or even stories of groups you've owned in the past!

I'll kick it off with one of the two groupings that I had that were "supersized". This one belonged to the Darlington family. The father was a Navy chaplain in WW1, and then became a National Guard chaplain during WW2. After WW2, he worked in post-war Europe with the American Bible Society, bringing Bibles to people in war torn countries. He was awarded the Belgian Order of the Crown (as I recall) for his work.

His son was a Marine officer during both WW2 and Korea, and earned a Bronze Star with "V" in Korea. He eventually became a noted politician in New York.

This group was being split up on eBay in 2003 into literally hundreds of auctions. I bought what I could (about 90%) but missed the medals and a few of the uniforms. The photos here are of the documents...but I also had Darlington Jr's, dress blues and Ike jacket uniforms as well.

I got the group and simply had no place to put it, so I ended up selling it on eBay for about $300 less than I paid for it....but at least it stayed together!

Here are a couple photos taken in a three-car garage....

I'll post the photos of the second group when I find them!

Dave

DARL71.jpg

And here's the second shot. Unfortunately the uniforms and other cloth items didn't get in the group photo...

Enjoy and....post away!

DARL76.jpg

a group I had documented, but then the PC crashed so I have to do it again (on the biggest group ever, too, eh?). Marine group to a man who enlisted Oct 1939 and retired in 1967. Medals, insignias, and 40 pounds of binders of photos, documents, and keepsakes. Also some of his wife's stuff who was a WWII WM. And quite the interesting war history, I'll save for the thread on him

This is the largest grouping I have ever owned. It belonged to my Great Uncle who was a Medical Quartermaster during WW2. He enlisted in 1942 and made it to Major in Germany and was discharged in 1946.

DSC01996.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

I don't think I've ever owned a grouping... :crying: Unless the four DCUs I have named to the same intelligence officer or the full extra Pacific uniform gear counts.

• 2 months later...

Its not American, but my biggest group is to a German navy doctor from WW2.

I ended up with his medals, documents, papers, Photos, jacket, dagger, granddaughter, car and house.

I sold the car, and unfortunately the mother in law is still in the house... but when she is gone I promise to stop splitting the group!

normaninvasion
Its not American, but my biggest group is to a German navy doctor from WW2.

I ended up with his medals, documents, papers, Photos, jacket, dagger, granddaughter, car and house.

I sold the car, and unfortunately the mother in law is still in the house... but when she is gone I promise to stop splitting the group!

Now that is funny :w00t:

Manchu Warrior

I am not sure if this counts but the biggest grouping I own happens to my own stuff. And other then a Kevlar and a CVC helmet it amounts to little more then a big pile of surplus. But, I still can't seem to part with the stuff to include my worn out ratty way past their expiration date boots that I wore in basic training. I am just not well. :blink: