Willys MZ-2 USMC radio Jeep

robinb

Here's my 1944 Willys MZ-2 USMC radio Jeep. It's not quite finished, but the end is near. I bought her 5 years ago this month out of a barn. She was pretty nasty, and I have taken her completly apart and rebuilt or had rebuilt everything from the ground up.

MVC_064S.jpg

MVC_065S.jpg

You may notice a few missing parts, but they are coming in the mail as we speak.

MVC_066S.jpg

MVC_067S.jpg

The radio set is the Navy model TCS. It's powered from a power take-off driven generator that is mounted between the front seats.

MVC_068S.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Robin, that is sweet! :drool2:

You've done a wonderful job on the re-build.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work!!

Recently I have bought this relic in Pennsylvania,now it is in my home(Basque Country,north of Spain)

I'd like to know more about this USMC Ford GPW(1942),anyone could help me or give me any idea about the details?

The original capstan winch (4 bolts).

Original Ford extintor.

I know the radio is from Korea war.

It has also the WIllys Overland MZ-2 generator.

Also, some tips for the restoration of this Ford.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

I spent the day giving the MZ-2 a cammo paint job like they used on Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.

MVC_018S.JPG

MVC_019S.JPG

I spent the day giving the MZ-2 a cammo paint job like they used on Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.

MVC_018S.JPG

MVC_019S.JPG

MVC_020S.JPG

MVC_021S.JPG

Johan Willaert

Nice Robin... Was the camo applied over the USMC markings or do you still need to add those...

A ny WW2 pictures showing this actual camo pattern??

Harleys, the best reference for restoring a WW2 jeep is seen in Robin's picture - the All American Wonder books (Vol 1 and Vol 2).

Sharp looking jeep, Robin!

Steve

Sweet! It’ll look great towing your pack 75! :thumbsup: It’s a shame you couldn’t have it ready for the MVPA convention in Portland as Mark Tombleson brought his excellent MZ, which I’m sure you must have drooled over at the time.

I find it odd as every few months, someone will e-mail me out of the blue asking about my MZ and my 1944 MB isn’t a MZ Jeep at all. Appears someone has compiled a list of MZs by serial #s and mine is listed as being one, which it never was.

• 1 month later...
USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

Great looking jeep. I recently picked up a 1943 Willys MB which I found out was sent to the Navy/USMC. The original front bumper is gone. The tow hooks and lifting rings are gone. The holes for the tow hooks are there as well as for the rear lifting rings. Did you have to replace yours ? If so may I ask where you got them ? Could you please post some close up photos of the rear rings,front hooks and front rings ? Thanks very much. Maybe my jeep will look good again one day..thanks Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
You may notice a few missing parts, but they are coming in the mail as we speak.

post-61-1272772102.jpg

Hi Robin, That's a really fantastic job of a rebuild there, certainly going to turn heads at shows. :thumbsup:

You mention waiting for missing parts would these include the decals for the oil and petrol filters, they always put that finishing touch to a well restored Jeep.

If anyone needs them for their rebuilds they are availible at the link below.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys_decals

Cheers Lewis

Great looking jeep. I recently picked up a 1943 Willys MB which I found out was sent to the Navy/USMC. The original front bumper is gone. The tow hooks and lifting rings are gone. The holes for the tow hooks are there as well as for the rear lifting rings. Did you have to replace yours ? If so may I ask where you got them ? Could you please post some close up photos of the rear rings,front hooks and front rings ? Thanks very much. Maybe my jeep will look good again one day..thanks Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I would strongly recommend to join the g503.com forum if you haven't done so already, it is for jeeps what this forum is for US militaria: by far the greatest collection of knowledge on the subject available anywhere!

http://www.g503.com/forums/

Greetz ;)

David

• 2 months later...

Thanks Steve,I'll buy all these books.

Harleys

Harleys, the best reference for restoring a WW2 jeep is seen in Robin's picture - the All American Wonder books (Vol 1 and Vol 2).

Sharp looking jeep, Robin!

Steve

• 6 months later...

Now THAT is one cool looking Gyrene Jeep! I love the camo pattern, too, that should really set it apart from the other restored vehicles!

Semper,

Ski

jason. schmitty

i was looking at all these vehicle threads yesterday afternoon (particularly the willys). then went to visit my kids (Alt-Mariendorf, Berlin) when what drove by? a Willy with Berlin Brigade MP markings on it :D schweeet...

i think there are only two or so of these in Berlin. They make my mouth drop and drool every time i see 'em...

awesome pics, these! and great handy work (though that's a complete understatement!!!)

thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...