WWII US Navy Aviation related items

TomcatPC

Torpedo Squadron 34 (VT-43), posted to the USS Monterey (CVL-26)

This is one of my Dad's from his squadron.

DSCN0175.jpg

Film magazines for gun camera, once again given to me by my Dad.

My Dad has a gun camera that he donated to the USS Yorktown museum in Charleston, South Carolina. It is on display in the ready room that is dedicated to the USS Monterey, along with a few pieces of a wing from a downed Japanese Zero he cut them from on Guam in 1944.

DSCN0203.jpg

Larger fold knife that was part of survival kit.

This knife is not in the best of shape, and has no markings.

DSCN0196.jpg

Case XX Machete, I think this was also included in one of the survival kits..

Once again, brought back from the War and given to me by my Dad.

DSCN0366.jpg

Distress marking light.

This is one of several that my Dad brought back from the War.

DSCN1015.jpg

One misfire .50" Cal. Cartridge and one fired .50" Cal. Case.

Brought back by my Dad, and I assumed they were fired/attempted to be fired by him as well.

DSCN1024.jpg

Tomcat, great stuff, tell us a little bit about your fathers service, was he a pilot? Thanks for sharing, Jon

Thanks for looking and commenting, I was getting the impression that the things I have posted just do not interest people LOL.

No, my Dad was not a pilot, he was gunner in a TBM Avenger. Served with VT-34 during the latter part of the action in the Pacific Theatre. His squadron was posted on the USS Monterey (CVL-26). Was shot down in Tokyo Bay on 10 JULY 45, during a strike on Atusgi Air Field on Honshu near Tokyo. Entire crew survived the ditching, and all three survived the War. Crew was picked up by the USS Gabilan after ditching into Tokyo Bay. Got back to his squadron with just enough time prior to V-J Day to fly a few more strikes on Japan.

Not much of a different story than the other millions of youth around the World, Allied or Enemy, from that generation really. Got married in 1946, had three daughters from 1948- 1955, then I showed up in the waning part of 1970. He will turn 87 on May 7th.

Thanks

Mark

Cool stuff. :thumbsup: I've read a lot of those books/manuals/etc that were issued and they are really interesting.

Cobrahistorian

Mark,

Really great stuff and to have that family connection makes it that much more precious.

Jon

Hello

I was at my Dad's place today for his 87th Birthday. I took a few photos of kit that is at his place. The following photos might not be the best, I was in a hurry today, but hopefully they will be of some interest.

Thanks

Mark

Aviator's Kit Bag

This was my Dad's.

DSCN1684.jpg

Another Distress Marker Light

Brought back by my Dad, this is one of a couple he brought back.

DSCN1679.jpg

Blue/Grey Mae West

I'm not certain if this is specific to US Navy/USMC Aviation or not?, but included it anyway.

DSCN1675.jpg

Another kit bag (not certain if this is issued kit, or private purchase?)

Again, this is my Dad's and he did the artwork.

DSCN1677.jpg

bronxboymike

Hello, Just wanted to say thanks to you and your dad for sharing your stuff. Not that many Naval aviation collectors out there, but I'm sure the ones like my self have enjoyed seeing the gear. My collection goes from WW2 to current Naval aviation. I'll have to keep an eye out for a VT-34 patch, it has a great design which wouldn't cut it in today's PC navy. Nice stallions gear also, F-14 is one of my favorite planes.

Mike

Make sure you thank your dad for sharing, and let him know it is appreciated, and also personally yourself and your father have my personal thanks for serving.

• 3 years later...

Hi I think your father and mine were on the same plane during WWII. I would love to talk with you and share stories to see if I'm right. Please respond.

T Doty