1944 US Silk Map Of France

swordfish

Posted this at the other 2 forums. Can anyone give any info on it or any type of value? Issued by the Army to an Officer during the war. I have no other info on it.

thanks,

T

post-210-1184277082.jpg

post-210-1184277088.jpg

post-210-1184277095.jpg

post-210-1184277101.jpg

post-210-1184277108.jpg

Posted this at the other 2 forums. Can anyone give any info on it or any type of value? Issued by the Army to an Officer during the war. I have no other info on it.

thanks,

T

OK. This is the "Zones of France Map" issued to US Paras for the Invasion of France (read D-Day). This is THE ONLY SILK MAP issued to Paratroopers of the 101st for D-Day. It was part of their E&E kit. Beyond that it was also issued to the AAF & the other AB unit ( :D ) but can assure you that this is the only map used by the 101st in Normandy.

As for value. Named and provenanced 101st versions would bring slightly more than a 9th AAC one versus an un-named original.

Make sense?

Here is a picture of an ID'd 101st one (officer B/502)

post-261-1184299585.jpg

and the ONLY pouch that they were issued in for Normandy. Same original owner as the map and the case it was issued in.

post-261-1184299602.jpg

OK. This is the "Zones of France Map" issued to US Paras for the Invasion of France (read D-Day). This is THE ONLY SILK MAP issued to Paratroopers of the 101st for D-Day. It was part of their E&E kit. Beyond that it was also issued to the AAF & the other AB unit ( :D ) but can assure you that this is the only map used by the 101st in Normandy.

As for value. Named and provenanced 101st versions would bring slightly more than a 9th AAC one versus an un-named original.

Make sense?

Here is a picture of an ID'd 101st one (officer B/502)

post-261-1184299585.jpg

and the ONLY pouch that they were issued in for Normandy. Same original owner as the map and the case it was issued in.

post-261-1184299602.jpg

I wanted to edit my statement above to read "only version of SILK map used by the 101st in Normandy". There are several various editions of paper maps that were used. Just wanted to be clear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Can you speak to value? It's for a gentleman I know who's dad was issued it during the invasions.

tom

currahee506
Thanks for the info. Can you speak to value? It's for a gentleman I know who's dad was issued it during the invasions.

tom

Value? Depends on what someone will pay. I recently sold one for over $300.

Great piece of history.

Jake - wow! Nice map!! thumbsup.gif

Rich