AAF Officer Dog Tags - Why two serial numbers?

Harrythepicker

Harrythepicker

These 3 sets of dogtags belonged to a career AAF pilot who enlisted in 1917 and retired in 1944 (I don't have his WW1 tags). Why did he have two different serial numbers? I would assume that the O-10616 was his original WW1 number. Any info is appreciated.......Harry C

post-10695-1272751069.jpg

Bob Hudson

Those are for two different people, one a Junior (Jr) and the other the Third (III), a father and son. Helen was the mother of Eaton III who originally went in as an enlisted man on 24 Nov 1942,

Bob Hudson

Here's a 1935 Army Officer Register for the father - Jr. - who retired as a full colonel on Dec. 31, 1944:

eatonjr1935.jpg

Harrythepicker

So that unravels the mystery.....Thank you! It appears that Samuel Eaton the WW1 aviator did not serve in France is that correct? I have his WW1 wings and his WW2 command pilot wings. I also have his Quiet Birdman wings. Thanks again for sharing the info...... .. Harry C

BigJohn#3RD
So that unravels the mystery.....Thank you! It appears that Samuel Eaton the WW1 aviator did not serve in France is that correct? I have his WW1 wings and his WW2 command pilot wings. I also have his Quiet Birdman wings. Thanks again for sharing the info...... .. Harry C

Can you post some pictures of his wings? :thumbsup: For a ground pounder of 30+ years; enlighten me as to what Quiet Birdman Wings are. :think:

Thanks

John

Harrythepicker

Sir, The Secret Society of Quiet Birdmen were founded in 1921 by early pilots most of which served during WW1. You can find some information about the QB on the internet. It is said that new members were chosen by other QB members (by invitation only). Many famous aviators were and are members. The wings shown here are worn on the lapel and is the only type that I'm aware of. This wing is simply marked STERLING and has a screw post. I believe these shown here are probably 1920's vintage. I don't think there are many of these wings to be had by collectors. Charles Lindberg is said to have been a member. Thanks for the information about the dogtags..........Harry C

post-10695-1272842188.jpg

post-10695-1272842205.jpg