NAA Pilot's Kneeboard

MIFlyer

A friend of mine picked up an interesting item and I'm helping him find out more about it.

It is a pilot's kneeboard, designed to be strapped to the upper leg and used to take notes, hold maps and checklists and so forth.

The really interesting thing about it is the bottom spring loaded clip has the logo of North American Aviation and "Los Angeles, Calif" and "Columbus Ohio" It's made out of plastic.

My first guess is that it dates from the late 50's and was used by NAA test pilots, but since it turns out that NAA opened the Columbus plant in WWII it could be somewhat earlier.

We would appreciate any info or even guesses anyone would have about this piece along with any ideas on what it might be worth.

Thanks!

post-4954-1272734280.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Well, I'm on my blackberry, so I'm not seeing a full res picture, but it looks to me like a 50s/ 60s kneeboard. They're still issuing a similar pattern in Army flight school (I had one issued to me in 2006). Having that NAA connection, it probably has quite a bit of time in F-100s!

Jon

hawkdriver

Show the buckle, that will help. I'm guessing 60's as well. Not much plastic used in WWII. Also, that elastic hasn't been used for that long (WWII).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. 60's seems to be the answer. Met a guy who said his brother went trough a NAA school and he had one too. Thanks!