53rd armored infantry battalion

Guest krintz

Guest krintz

My father was a member of the 53rd armored infantry battalion. He spoke very little of his experiences overseas ( Central Europe I think ). I do know that he was very proud of his service and that he lost most of his brothers in many different wars. As far as I know he was the only one in his family that returned from war. He passed away about a year ago and I have been trying to gather info on what he was involved in while he was deployed. I have checked the internet, maybe not the right places, but have been unable to find any substantial info on what his experiences may have been. What I do know is that he served in the air corps before the divisions were split and then drove food and supply trucks to the front line. There are rumors of consentration camp liberations which would make sense of his silence. He was an " Andy Griffith " kind of guy and would not want to share that kind of info to his inquisitive (then) 8 year old daughter. He told me at that time never to ask again. I didn't. Now that he has passed away and I am in my 40's I want to know. Any info would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you for your time and your help.

Kim

The 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion was part of the 4th Armored Division.

The 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion did it's share of the fighting as the 4th Armored Division advanced to the Rhein River and crossed it. The 4th AD was commended for it's immediate smash beyond the Main River, one hundred miles to the northeast into central Germany, which opened the way for sweeping advances. In April, the 4th plunged still deeper into Germany, rolling as much as 73 miles in a single day.

On May 6, an 89 mile advance was made.

Gen. Jacob L. Devers, commander of the 6th Army Corps, placed the blue streamer of the distinguished unit citation on the colors of the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion. It also received streamers from Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe Campaigns.

On May 1, 1946, Troop A of the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion, served in the 6th Constabulary Squadron.

As a matter of coincidence, I adopted the grave of a soldier in the 53rd AIB who was KIA on December 30, 1944 in the Batogne area.

Do you have any information on your father's service?

It would be interesting to know his name, rank, ASN as well as date of induction and such.

Erwin

Guest krintz

Thank you for your response. As a matter of fact I have my fathers origional discharge papers. His name was John Willard Hardy. He was born in VA and inducted in Fort Bragg NC. He was a Farmer by trade when he went in. As was his entire family. He was inducted 6/16/1944 and dicharged 6/11/1946 holding the rank of PFC. He told me that he was in the air corps as a tail gunner before they split the 2 divisions and was made a foot soilder after that. He also said he stayed in Munich as an M.P. after the war while they rebuilt the city. However there is no mention of this in his discharge papers. I have a list of all his medals and his training . Unforunatly his uniform was stolen shortly after his return to the states and all of his comendations went with it. I am trying to get them replaced now. The quote you sent I have seenon a couple of different sites and it makes me proud. I just wish I knew exactly what he went through. He is the hero of my life and was a wonderful person to boot. Even in death he makes me proud. Thank you again for getting back with me. This endevor has become a focus in my life and I am having trouble getting the ball rolling.

Don't mention it.

I'm glad to be of some help.

If I can do more, just holler out, ok?

This weekend, I'll check my files and send more info on the 53rd AIB.

Erwin