Help for WWII US dog tags

Giovanni80

Giovanni80

Hi all, I got this tags some years ago...so through NARA DATABASE I found that he was in the regular army but I didn't understand in which kind of division (branch)....perhaps in 10th Montain Division????? How can I know it?

Giovanni

post-5681-1272734031.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello, those are really nice dog tags you have, they are the first set made for the soldier, later their dog tags has parents or wifes name put on them

to get idea who to notify of death, since the bulk of people came off farms back in the 40s, many would have a parents name and Gen Del for General

Delivery on them as many people living in the country didn't have addresses.

From the information given on dog tags, you can not determine what outfit or organization the soldier belonged to, you would have to contact

St. Louis archives to get that kind of information and that would cost you $60.00, their min fee. and you may not be able to get it at all if you are

not some kin of the soldier. Dog tags only give Name, serial number, shot date, blood type, religion and whom to contact in case of death.

Usually by 43, all dog tags had who to contact in case of death. This soldier may have been stationed state side and did not have the need for

who to contact on them, only his archived records would tell you that. Good luck with them and your quest. Jim

Dog tags only give Name, serial number, shot date, blood type, religion and whom to contact in case of death.

Usually by 43, all dog tags had who to contact in case of death. This soldier may have been stationed state side and did not have the need for who to contact on them Jim

Not allways. My Dad was inducted in the Army in early 1945 and was in the Philippine Islands by that summer. His dog tags do not have any next-of-kin information on them. As far as I know, that was the only set he was ever issued.

You have it backwards, early dog tags have the next of kin on them, it was omitted on later one so as not to give that information to the enemy if the solider was captured or killed.

• 4 weeks later...

..."since the bulk of people came off farms back in the 40s"....I am assuming you are referring to men/women entering all the branches of service came from farms.

On what source do you base that statement on?

He was from Colorado so there is a small possibility that he served in the 10th Mountain Division. You may have luck checking with the 10th Mtn Division Association and see if they have a roster. I think this was the site that helped me located a KIA.

http://www.10thmtndivassoc.org/

I think that is it.

Steve

...How can I know it?

According to Brewster's enlistment record, he was born in 1908 and his civilian occupation was "financial institution clerks, n.e.c." (link here). It's not likely that a 35 year old bank clerk ended up in the Infantry...but, maybe. Mr. Brewster died in Aurora, Colorado, February, 1984. You might open your enquiry there (ask the public library for a copy of his obituary from a local newspaper.)

Here are others badges belonged to Mr. Brewster...I don't know exactely what's theirs meaning, may be, they can help to understand, the division and if he served in Europe or not... :think:

post-5681-1280329266.jpg

...I don't know exactely what's theirs meaning, may be, they can help to understand, the division and if he served in Europe or not...

The ribbon on the left is for the European-African-Middle Eastern campaign medal (aka: EAME) link here. The silver star on the ribbon indicates that your soldier was in a unit that participated in five campaigns in one or more of the EAME theaters. The bronze arrowhead device indicates that he was in a unit that participated in one or more Army assault landings in EAME. There were 19 designated campaigns and several assault landings in EAME, involving thousands of Army units. Based on this ribbon, you know that your soldier was in somewhere in Europe during the war but it is impossible to know in which unit he served from this ribbon alone.

Hello, those are really nice dog tags you have, they are the first set made for the soldier, later their dog tags has parents or wifes name put on them

to get idea who to notify of death, since the bulk of people came off farms back in the 40s, many would have a parents name and Gen Del for General

Delivery on them as many people living in the country didn't have addresses.

From the information given on dog tags, you can not determine what outfit or organization the soldier belonged to, you would have to contact

St. Louis archives to get that kind of information and that would cost you $60.00, their min fee. and you may not be able to get it at all if you are

not some kin of the soldier. Dog tags only give Name, serial number, shot date, blood type, religion and whom to contact in case of death.

Usually by 43, all dog tags had who to contact in case of death. This soldier may have been stationed state side and did not have the need for

who to contact on them, only his archived records would tell you that. Good luck with them and your quest. Jim

Actually the next of kin dog tags were made first and are early issue.It was later removed as the information was thought to be to easy to access the family if the man was captured.I dont have the exact date this was done but I believe the relatives/next of kin names were deleted sometime in 1943

RD

The ribbon on the left is for the European-African-Middle Eastern campaign medal (aka: EAME) link here. The silver star on the ribbon indicates that your soldier was in a unit that participated in five campaigns in one or more of the EAME theaters. The bronze arrowhead device indicates that he was in a unit that participated in one or more Army assault landings in EAME. There were 19 designated campaigns and several assault landings in EAME, involving thousands of Army units. Based on this ribbon, you know that your soldier was in somewhere in Europe during the war but it is impossible to know in which unit he served from this ribbon alone.

So, the ribbon means that he was on the feald and he partecipated at some campaigns or landings...didn't he? How did you get information about his death date? How can I get, as you said, information by public library? Thanks!