Photos from the Lt Schnur grouping...Omaha, Damage, Normandy, ESB headquarters...

Jason G

These photos came with the grouping of Lt Martin Schnor, that I recently acquired, and is pictured in the 'groupings' section. None, that I am aware of, are of Lt Schnor. I'm posting them up here, because I believe they have some historical significance and have never been seen. Many were taken by the Intelligence Sergeant of the 149th Engineer Bn,, Harold Atkins, and are so marked.

My first question is, should I keep them with the original group? The Lt isn't in them. He didn't take them, from what I can find. He just acquired them. Or, should I sell them (as a lot) separately? Opinions are welcomed here. My first thought is to sell them separately, not to make more money, but to let someone have them who may be able to use them in research or for a personal collection etc.

Anyway, here they are...

This appears to be a Headquarters, just off the Normandy beachhead (Easy Green can be seen on one of the signs) of the ESB.

post-271-1272664914.jpg

The front of what later becomes the Command Post of the ESB in Normandy. This one shows it before they really established it. A pretty well known shot, but likely taken early on.

post-271-1272665486.jpg

Not so well known a shot. This is the reverse of the CP at Omaha (I believe). I matched up the spool of wire in the first pic to this one, so it appears to be the same. Love all the gear scattered around and the ships in the background. Just all kinds of 'neat' stuff in this photo!

post-271-1272665735.jpg

Beached landing craft, what I believe is Normandy, June of 1944. It sort of looks like a U-Boat, but I know it's not. Not sure what type it might be....

post-271-1272667495.jpg

R Michael

Awesome photos! AS for the craft it is an LCI (L) if you note the structure along the hull. That is ramps where the troops would race down onto the beach after the ship beached. As for keeping them with the grouping I feel that it would be best leaving them together as this IS part of the fellows time in service and does give more to the grouping as a whole. As a side note I would think these photos were printed in multiple prints and given out to the fellows in the unit that wanted copies.

Of course it is yours to do with what you will. :)

Once again great photos! Mike

here is a link for this vessel from navsource http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150092.htm

Beached landing craft, what I believe is Normandy, June of 1944. It sort of looks like a U-Boat, but I know it's not. Not sure what type it might be....

post-271-1272667495.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1272747541.jpg

The front of what later becomes the Command Post of the ESB in Normandy. This one shows it before they really established it. A pretty well known shot, but likely taken early on.

post-271-1272665486.jpg

Hi Jason G, I saw your post and photographs early this morning just before leaving for the Omaha beach area, on my way back I dropped down onto the beach and took a couple of comparison photo's to compare with yours.

I was unable to find the house that is seen in post #1, maybe it's no longer there, maybe it has been rebuilt and the roof level lowered, I will try again next visit.

So here are three comparison photos for you taken about five hours ago, ( 17.00 Hrs May 1st ), this one is a comparison to your post #2 photo, ( apologies I got the angle slightly wrong )

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1272747894.jpg

Not so well known a shot. This is the reverse of the CP at Omaha (I believe). I matched up the spool of wire in the first pic to this one, so it appears to be the same. Love all the gear scattered around and the ships in the background. Just all kinds of 'neat' stuff in this photo!

post-271-1272665735.jpg

Cont.........................

Hi Jason G, I saw your post and photographs early this morning just before leaving for the Omaha beach area, on my way back I dropped down onto the beach and took a couple of comparison photo's to compare with yours.

So here the comparison photo for your post # 3 photo, taken about five hours ago, ( 17.00 Hrs May 1st )

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1272748531.jpg

As I was taking the comparison photo of the rear of the bunker shown in your post # 3, this line of about six American teenage girls started climbing the path in front of me, I quickly realised that I was in the almost identical spot that the photographer stood in 1944 when he took the photo of the single column of infantry passing between him and the bunker shot he was taking. ( photos taken 17.00 Hrs May 1st 2010)

As they descended back down the pathway I showed them the photo I had taken, and then the original photo displayed at the side of the bunker. ( apologies I don't have a copy of the 1944 photo to show you )

Cheers Lewis

Johan Willaert

Thanks for posting those, Ken! I see the Ford is back on the road.... and Battlebus was there too...

I believe this is the photo you were referring to

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Johan

Well I'll be danged. I've seen that other photo (with the GI's) probably hundreds of times and never made that connection.

Thank you, Johan, for posting that. Very cool.

Mike, thank you very much for the advice. So, you believe that these are sort of 'souvenir' type pics? I have a bunch more to post, BTW. Lots of cool stuff, that seems more to be 'regular' pics that the average 'joe' would take.

Jason

General Apathy
Well I'll be danged. I've seen that other photo (with the GI's) probably hundreds of times and never made that connection.

Thank you, Johan, for posting that. Very cool.

Jason

Hi Johan, yes thanks for posting the comparison photo, sorry I could only find a bunch of girls and no infantry. :rolleyes:

Yes the pick up is back on the road again and can be seen tootling along the roads of Normandy. ( damn battery ) ;) :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

R Michael
Mike, thank you very much for the advice. So, you believe that these are sort of 'souvenir' type pics? I have a bunch more to post, BTW. Lots of cool stuff, that seems more to be 'regular' pics that the average 'joe' would take.

Jason

I would love to see them! I dont think they are canteen photos per se, but photos taken by someone in a unit photographers role that gave out print to fellows in the unit. Great set of photos and would be the center piece of any collection. :thumbsup:

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers, since adding comparison photo's on here at post's 10-11-12 I have become aware of a very unfamiliar wartime shot of this same bunker. I don't wish to appear to be taking over this topic by adding too much, so I have posted the wartime shot and my comparison at the link below.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry548676

Cheers Lewis

post-344-1272748531.jpg

As I was taking the comparison photo of the rear of the bunker shown in your post # 3, this line of about six American teenage girls started climbing the path in front of me, I quickly realised that I was in the almost identical spot that the photographer stood in 1944 when he took the photo of the single column of infantry passing between him and the bunker shot he was taking. ( photos taken 17.00 Hrs May 1st 2010)

As they descended back down the pathway I showed them the photo I had taken, and then the original photo displayed at the side of the bunker. ( apologies I don't have a copy of the 1944 photo to show you )

Cheers Lewis

AMAZING!!!!! This is what this hobby is all about! :w00t:

• 2 months later...
Military Engineer

Jason,

What did you ever do with the photos taken by Atkins that you got witht he Lt Schnur grouping?

Thanks

Troy