"Europe" clasp

Sabrejet

I'm sure I read somewhere that, apart from the "Germany" and "Japan" clasps worn on the Occupation Medal, there was also a less common "Europe" clasp. Is this one of them? Thanks.

post-8022-1272651429.jpg

Sabrejet

FrankEaton01

The narrow "Germany" and "Japan" clasps were used by the Army/AAF, and the wider rope-bordered "Asia" and "Europe" clasps were used by the Navy and Marines. Of the four, the Europe bar is the least common. Based on the number of rope segments, your clasp appears to be an original one struck by the US Mint.

The narrow "Germany" and "Japan" clasps were used by the Army/AAF, and the wider rope-bordered "Asia" and "Europe" clasps were used by the Navy and Marines. Of the four, the Europe bar is the least common. Based on the number of rope segments, your clasp appears to be an original one struck by the US Mint.

Hello Frank. Thanks for the swift response. So it's collectible then? I learn something every day on the Forum!

Ian :thumbsup:

seanmc1114

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question I have always wanted to know abot the Occupation Medal clasps. Obviously the "Europe" clasp on the Navy medal would signify service in Germany, Austria or Italy since occupation forces served in all three. Was the "Germany" bar authorized for the Army medal only for Germany itself or was it also awarded for duty in Austria and Italy? If not, why was there not a separate clasp or each of those two countries?

For Army and USAAF/USAF personnel, the "Germany" clasp covered Germany (1945-1955), Berlin (1945-1990), Austria (1945-1955) and Italy (1945-1947). The "Japan" clasp covered Japan (1945-1952) and Korea (1945-1949).