818th MAES DEPLOYS TO LITTLECOTE

FAAA

818th MEDICAL AIR EVACUATION SQUADRON DEPLOYS TO LITTLECOTE

Report by OC Army Nurses

Capt Amanda G Ware ANC

Isn't it amazing how so much can be achieved? I feel that I've been away for weeks, we packed in so much!!

Friday saw us arrive and set up camp with new member Sian in attendance, and i'm sooooo glad to say that she was still with us by the Sunday and hadn't run off!!

Unfortunately I dont remember much about late Friday, except that i was 'tucked up' securely by Rusty! (thanks for that mate!). Thanks to his ministrations, my sleep was secure in that i couldn't have got up in the night if i'd have wanted to! (something to do with a quilt, a great coat, and an M43 weighting me down?)

Saturday dawned bright and early with the 5.30am Peacock Alarm, and Pops snuck into camp at around 6 and listened to Radio 4 right behind my tent (cheers pops!), so I was easily able to rouse myself for the days events......and a great day it was!

The Army nurses deploying from Bristol and Eaton Bray arrived safely, and together, Kate, Lesley, Sian, Irene, Rach, Ally and I swung into the day. Drill was practised (Thanks Rusty and Sarge), the 'about face' attempted, flag folding, raising and lowering were practised, and a general refresher on Anatomy was done. Well done to all! (and thanks to Ade for the constant WARCO prescence!)

Meals were up to their usual high standard, laughter abounded, and Calesthetics took an interesting turn...... (anyone want to buy a pink cammo t-shirt?). We managed to totally re-organise the 101st's plans with our demonstration of how fit us nurses really are, but we did manage to leave the field without too much panting!

we had half an hour for the army nurses to have a general meeting, and then Carrots was sent to look after Sian/Sian was sent to look after Rach whilst plans were made and plots hatched.......!

Early evening saw hair sessions/showers/changes of uniform for the girls and boys, and - I for one - felt immense pride as the FAAA put on another cracking display for the public. Our girls, and the MPs, were absolutely ace at doing the flags, and the boys of the Guard again bought a lump to the throat with their dedication and pride in their job, without the fact that they all look so bloody handsome in full rig!. Wherever you looked at about 6 o'clock, there was a man polishing something! (Girls - if only that could be transferrred to the home habitat!).

Saturday saw Sian and Rach suitably 'barred up' and then the FAAA's 'best kept secret' happened - Mike went down on one knee in front of us all (well played Mike!) and asked our own lovely Rachel to be his wife! I vaguely remember something about bottoms and dates, but at that point the old eyes moistened! I know that tissues were hunted for, and mascara was running! (NB Note to Sarge -if anything like that is going to happen again, please add tissues to the PX orders......!).

Saturday night continued with a social, a dance and a ghost hunt in the house before people retired to tents, and others took their leave to attend a wedding (and get a few notes made no doubt, eh Rach?).

Sunday was a more relaxed time, but still the FAAA took time to display and practice. One of my endearing memories will be all the girls watching all the boys at bayonet practice (Go Possum!), and an impromptu teaching session on treatment of stab injuries was held in the field (well done Kate!). Some of the ladies went on a jeep run, and the hospital again had a casualty in the afternoon (cheers guys) for practice, and then the 'big top' of the FAAA began to packed up ready for final departure.

DSCF3539.jpg

Littlecote_2010_92.jpg

DSCF3556.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

Further reports and pictures to be included in group after action report to follow.

S/Sgt Lee M Bowden

For OC Army Nurses