M9/M9A1 Gas Mask Bag - Contents

carbinekid

Hi guys,

What items are meant to be in the M9/M9A1 gas mask bag other than the mask? I see a web loop and a small snapped pocket inside the bag. I'm assuming the loop is for a tube of anti-dim or anti-fungal. What goes inside the pocket?

Thanks for any help,

Kyle

carbinekid

Thanks but, I've seen olive-drab and it doesn't say specifically what would be stored in the inside pouch on the bag.

Anyone know?

I don't know how authentic the setup was, but I once scored an M9 that came with a small cylinder containing an anti-dim cloth, a metal box containing tubes of protective ointment wrapped with a cloth, and a predecessor to the modern atropine autoinjector (a small tube like toothpaste would come in, with a short glass chamber and needle attached). I believe the mask was dated 1963 but don't quote me on that.

I don't have a copy of the 1950's edition TM for the mask but TM 3-205, Protective Masks and Accessories, dtd 1955 states for the M9A1: "Two pockets are provided inside the carrier, one on the side for a protective ointment kit (TM 3-290), and one on the bottom for a waterproofing bag. An antidim set is held in place inside the carrier by a small web loop."

The protective ointment kit would be the M5/M5A1 kit in the flat tin can with the tubes of ointment. The waterproofing bag would be the M1 bag, stored in a small 4.5" x 2.5" pouch with a metal strip at top for closure. The antidim set would be the M1 kit. These are the small gray (some are OD) cans with the cloth inside, screw off top (according to the TM photo).

The M9 mask, with the waterproof cover, differs in that it doesn't list the waterproof bag. Only a pocket in the back of the carrier for "protective equipment," presumably the protective ointment kit. Also, a loop cemented in a lower corner for the antidim set. The TM goes on to say the M9A1 is USMC only.

The 1954 edition of FM 21-11, First Aid for Soldiers, states "You are issued such equipment as the protective mask, protective ointment for the skin, and BAL eye ointment for the eyes (fig. 24). When considered necessary, you may also be provided with protective clothing, protective covers, and dubbing for your shoes; amyl nitrite ampules to counteract the effects of certain blood poisons; and atropine injection devices as an antidote for nerve gas poisoning." Doesn't state where they are stored but only they are also issued when needed.

carbinekid

Thanks very much for your time and effort. Thats just the info I was looking for :thumbsup:

kyle

• 2 years later...
I don't have a copy of the 1950's edition TM for the mask but TM 3-205, Protective Masks and Accessories, dtd 1955 states for the M9A1: "Two pockets are provided inside the carrier, one on the side for a protective ointment kit (TM 3-290), and one on the bottom for a waterproofing bag. An antidim set is held in place inside the carrier by a small web loop."

The protective ointment kit would be the M5/M5A1 kit in the flat tin can with the tubes of ointment. The waterproofing bag would be the M1 bag, stored in a small 4.5" x 2.5" pouch with a metal strip at top for closure. The antidim set would be the M1 kit. These are the small gray (some are OD) cans with the cloth inside, screw off top (according to the TM photo).

The M9 mask, with the waterproof cover, differs in that it doesn't list the waterproof bag. Only a pocket in the back of the carrier for "protective equipment," presumably the protective ointment kit. Also, a loop cemented in a lower corner for the antidim set. The TM goes on to say the M9A1 is USMC only.

The 1954 edition of FM 21-11, First Aid for Soldiers, states "You are issued such equipment as the protective mask, protective ointment for the skin, and BAL eye ointment for the eyes (fig. 24). When considered necessary, you may also be provided with protective clothing, protective covers, and dubbing for your shoes; amyl nitrite ampules to counteract the effects of certain blood poisons; and atropine injection devices as an antidote for nerve gas poisoning." Doesn't state where they are stored but only they are also issued when needed.

I picked up this M9A1 at an estate sale. Looks like it was never used. Still has the cardboard form inside of the mask. I have two questions: The bag does not have any maker or stock/item info printed on it anywhere--did these bags come unmarked like this one?; and, is the waterproofing bag (found at a different estate sale) shown the correct one that goes in the bag? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1339958861.jpg

post-12790-1339958870.jpg

Every M9/M9A1 bag I've seen has not been maker marked.

I don't believe the waterproofing kit is for the M9.

Every M9/M9A1 bag I've seen has not been maker marked.

I don't believe the waterproofing kit is for the M9.

Many thanks. Do you have a pic that you can share that shows the correct kit for the M9A1? Thanks again, Al.

Many thanks. Do you have a pic that you can share that shows the correct kit for the M9A1? Thanks again, Al.

BTT Anyone? Thanks, Al.

BTT Anyone? Thanks, Al.

Not a photo of the whole layout, but I have a copy of TM750-5-15 "Army Equipment Data Sheet: Chemical Weapons and Defense Equipment" dated August, 1972, with details about the mask parts and carrier(s) and their nomenclature. If that would be helpful let me know. I am sure it is obscure and hard-to-find info.

FWIW, it only mentions the mask, filter, and bag as being issued.

Not a photo of the whole layout, but I have a copy of TM750-5-15 "Army Equipment Data Sheet: Chemical Weapons and Defense Equipment" dated August, 1972, with details about the mask parts and carrier(s) and their nomenclature. If that would be helpful let me know. I am sure it is obscure and hard-to-find info.

FWIW, it only mentions the mask, filter, and bag as being issued.

Thanks, d6t. Sorry, I didn't mention earlier that the mask and the cannister are dated 1953, so....your TM is a lot later than that. Thanks for trying, Al.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.