Weekend Project #1 - Mk II Grenade

mach1derful

mach1derful

I've got this nice MK II body. I'm hoping its WWII period. It's been painted blue for training purposes. It's got traces of yellow under it. I'm thinking about removing the blue or all the paint and refinishing it in OD with the yellow band, or maybe slowly removing the blue down to the yellow finish. Any thoughts or advice on this one from anyone who's done a similiar project?

post-10771-1272405705.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

I think Goof-off would work fine if you're quick about it. If it can do helmets and liners etc I don't see why there'd be a difference for this grenade.

I think I would leave it.The two paint jobs reflect the history and the life of the piece.Is the cannister marked frag or practice?I have a '44 dated cannister and practice grenade and the canniser still has its blue tape on it.

Nice set in my opinion

RD

Lucky 7th Armored

I agree with doyler on this one, but its your grenade and your call.

Haydn

mach1derful

I'll figure out what I will want to do. Ill keep my eyes out for another MKII body.

The cannister is marked frag. It should have yellow tape around the cannister I believe.

Doyler, do you have a closeup of the taping on the cannister?

I'll figure out what I will want to do. Ill keep my eyes out for another MKII body.

The cannister is marked frag. It should have yellow tape around the cannister I believe.

Doyler, do you have a closeup of the taping on the cannister?

Mach

I will try to get a pic for you after work.

I had posted a picture of an unissued frag I had gotten from a vet in a cannister here on the forum.It is a yellow body and absolutely new.No tape on it from what I recall or residue marks.

RD

I am with Ron on this one as you will never achieve removing the blue and leaving only the yellow. I also agree that it reflects the history as it was what the military had to do to supply enough training items to supply the huge influx of troops during the first few years of the war. I had a 60mm mortar round that was the same, yellow underneath the blue as it was an active round that was converted for training.

Cheers,

Kevin

Now is the bottom open as a training round?

If so, it would have to be made that way, and then how could it ever have been painted yellow for a live round.

Far too many people think yellow underpainting means it had been painted yellow at one time. I am reasonably sure that the yellow was continued as a primer underneath the OD. Which would explain why so many grenades have yellow underneath.

Mach

Here are two I have.The Blue trainer I mentioned w/original cannister as found.THe Yellow body as found and bought from the vet.(Edit):Should add the vet scratched in the top of the container the date of 1943 when he sent this home.

post-342-1273432092.jpg

post-342-1273432155.jpg