Unknown EGA, please help!!!

brandon_rss18

brandon_rss18

Well, guys let me first say that I am glad to be back. I have been out of collecting for some time now due to trying to get a house, my Mother being diagnosed with Cancer and going to school and working full time. Long story short, me and my wife are moving into what was my grandmothers house. We have been remodeling it and came across a small jewelry box that had this EGA in it. There was a note in the box that said Marine Pin givin to Dad from friend. My great grandfather was a Navy Corpsman during WW1. My question is, what can yall tell me about this EGA? The only thing I see stamped on the back of it is Gold and Silver, no makers mark. Well here are the pics and its good to be back guys.

post-2378-1272395008.jpg post-2378-1272394999.jpg

post-2378-1272394989.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Brandon, good to see you return. You likely have there a pre WW1 Officers collar emblem with molded continents and hand tooled fret work about the globe. The pattern was commonly seen roughly 1908 thru WW1. I cannot tell from these old eyes, if you have a "C" clasp to hold the pin in place or the early Tiffany "with drop in" clasp. s/f Darrell

brandon_rss18

Thanks Darrell,

The clasp is the type that you close the pin on it straight down and then you take your thumb nail and slide the little loop over until it is open, then slide it back to close it, dont know if my faint detail helped or not, lol.

teufelhunde.ret
Any idea on value guys? I am thinking about selling it to help with our money issues.

PM sent. The drop-in "C" clasp, puts it into the WW1 era. I know Tiffany did a patent of these clasps, but, there were others trying this same arrangement as well. A better pic of the clasp would reveal if they were maker or not. As for maker pattern, has all the characteristic's of the Gemsco emblems of the era. s/f Darrell

brandon_rss18

Thanks man for the welcome back! Well here are some new pics of it and it came out awesome! Used my wifes jewelry cleaner and man what a difference! These seem to be as close up as I can take though. :(

post-2378-1272399814.jpg post-2378-1272399808.jpg

post-2378-1272399803.jpg post-2378-1272399799.jpg

brandon_rss18

Yeah I left the back alone, honestly I just cleaned it with a toothbruch and water and a polishing rag. I decided not to use the jewelry cleaner on it after I saw that It was looking good just with the water and rag. God I feel like crap now, Im so mad at myself.

fightn5th

Well, guys let me first say that I am glad to be back. I have been out of collecting for some time now due to trying to get a house, my Mother being diagnosed with Cancer and going to school and working full time. Long story short, me and my wife are moving into what was my grandmothers house. We have been remodeling it and came across a small jewelry box that had this EGA in it. There was a note in the box that said Marine Pin givin to Dad from friend. My great grandfather was a Navy Corpsman during WW1. My question is, what can yall tell me about this EGA? The only thing I see stamped on the back of it is Gold and Silver, no makers mark. Well here are the pics and its good to be back guys.

Welcome to the collecting community!!!!! Just curious to know the name of your great grandfather? :think:

Frank

brandon_rss18

Hi Frank, my Great Grandfathers name was Charles Caldwell. I am not having such a great day yall, my Mother passed away this afternoon from her fight with liver cancer. We decided to have them take her off of life support and it was the worst decision I ever had to be a part of making. Please, if yall could send prayers to my family, they are greatly needed. Thank yall.

brandon_rss18
Brandon: My condolences at the passing of your mom.

Thank you Dirk, it is very much appreciated.

US82Bravo

Brandon:

I, too, have experienced that decision process. Please know that you and your family are in the thoughts and prayers of many.

My deepest sympathies....

Larry

brandon_rss18

Thank yall so much for the nice comments, it means so much to me and my family. It has been hard but I know things will get better in time.

Old Marine

Hi Brandon,

I am sorry to hear of your loss, my wife and I will keep her and your family in our prayers.

• 3 weeks later...