para-camo helmet covers

1canpara

Hello BEAR,

You did excellent research job! Thanks a lot.

I think we both wrote a confirmation that the cover discussed here is non-US and made of non-parachute fabric. Thickness .09mm is extremally thin (untypically thin for parachute canopies), what is more ripstop materials dominated world's parachuting since WWII. The first US parachutes made of ripstop nylon were manufactured since late 1944; the first Soviet parachutes made of ripstop percale were manufactured since 1947. Up to this time nobody resigned of ripstop materials for parachute manufacturing.

I am not ROK armed forces expert but in my opinion their non-ripstop, smooth camo nylon (as used for helmet covers) was manufactured as a general-purpose camouflage material for ground applications, not for parachute canopies.

Best regards

Gregory

• 1 year later...
Future Radio Tech

I've already messaged Bear, but I was wondering, do any of you still have one of these ROK. "Parachute silk" helmet covers you'd be willing to part with?

Thanks, Nick

P.s. I literally just messaged Bear, so I don't know if he still has one, but if.any of you have one you'd be willing to part with, I'm really interested in getting one.

This is typical of salvaged camo silk (WW2 vintage) being utilized as helmet camo. Being silk, it's very "slippery" so you'll notice in pics that GIs often secured it under a net...in this instance a Dennison.

post-8022-0-73302300-1365575328.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The 196th Inf Bde again, the GI in the upper right has the para camo cover, I guess around the late spring summer of 1967.

post-34986-0-34528500-1436981046.jpg

These are two not so good pictures of the 1st Cav. Pathfinders waiting for a training jump in Vietnam. There are some para camo covers mixed in.

post-900-0-25368100-1437103517.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

11th AB trooper, Korean War

This is a very interesting picture as the 11th Abn Div as a whole did not fight in Korea. The 187th RCT did, it was a part of the 11th Abn Div at Ft Campbell, but was totally detached. This GI, and he is from the early 50s as he wears the 1948 reg ranks, might be from 187th RCT and never bothered to remove his old patch? Or this photo as a wild guess might not of been taken in Korea at all, but back at Campbell? and the poster is used for some kind of training?

Pretty sure it's in Korea, but for the life of me I can't recall where I found it now.

Too bad it wasn't one like this, do not know if this one with the 187th is a real one that might of been worn or a fantasy type that never was worn.

post-34986-0-57425200-1438454055.jpg

Rakkasan187

I have had time to look at this picture and I believe it was taken at Koje Do Island POW camp after the prisoners staged an uprising. Even though the uprising was in June 1952 and the smaller service stripes were worn from 1948 to 1951 it is possible that the soldier had not changed over to the larger stripes,,many what if possibilities...

The Soldier may have been flown over from Japan as a replacement that arrived from the states to augment or fill the 187th ranks. Possibly the soldier did not have time to change the insignia on his fatigues before arriving in Japan and then moving onto Korea.

Leigh

Here are some pictures from Beirut with that German camo cover.

Great photos...i have one of these original german camo covers used by 187th in Beruit from the son of the vet who was in the MP unit...will try to get some pics up....mike

I have had time to look at this picture and I believe it was taken at Koje Do Island POW camp after the prisoners staged an uprising. Even though the uprising was in June 1952 and the smaller service stripes were worn from 1948 to 1951 it is possible that the soldier had not changed over to the larger stripes,,many what if possibilities...

The Soldier may have been flown over from Japan as a replacement that arrived from the states to augment or fill the 187th ranks. Possibly the soldier did not have time to change the insignia on his fatigues before arriving in Japan and then moving onto Korea.

Leigh

Thank you Leigh.

Say what about this patch, real one that was worn by some or fantasy?

post-34986-0-57425200-1438454055.jpg

Found the caption for the photo above. Makes sense that it's post jump with a parachute fabric helmet cover.

A paratrooper paints the end to the Red Premier. North Korea, 1950. Howard Sochurek

Rakkasan187

Found the caption for the photo above. Makes sense that it's post jump with a parachute fabric helmet cover.

A paratrooper paints the end to the Red Premier. North Korea, 1950. Howard Sochurek

Great research 63 Recon..

Thanks for the confirmation..

Leigh

Jumpin Jack

In 1959 when I made my entry into the 82nd, one of first tasks I was required to undertake was to make a camouflage cover for my helmet. The 325 had a unit procedure that was somewhat basic, but very effective. We started with a round section of burlap, folded it tightly over the dome of the helmet, affix the neoprene band about the burlap, fold the excess of the burlap into the shell, and place the liner into position. The final step was to take a template shaped like a leaf (not an oak leaf, but rather a single type that came to a point), hold it against the burlap, and apply black paint. I don't recall rank insignia ever being pinned to the burlap. For what it's worth. Jack