para-camo helmet covers

1canpara

Can any aircraft buff on here identify the bird in the pic? C-123?

It is actually an early model C-130.

post-900-0-69622900-1469670521.jpg

The red rectangle shows the location of the Jump/Caution lights consistent with the C-130. It also shows the roller track that the jump door rides up as it is opened by the loadmaster (much like a garage door).

The C-123 has a hinged door that is removed before the jump flight begins.

The pic is listed as being taken in 1953. There's a trooper with a 101st SSI, which was stationed at Camp Breckenridge, KY, in '53. The two SFGs (10th & 77th) that existed during '53 were both at FtBragg, NC.

That would definitely be a caption error e19, why? Because in 1953 the 101 was still a Training Division when it was at Breckenridge, it was off both Combat and Jump Status, and would wear no AIRBORNE tab over the patch, photo will have to date after 1956.

Two good topics on the 101 of those days.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197188-101st-airborne-training-division-516th-327th-helmet-liner-named/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194396-wear-of-airborne-ssi-as-combat-patches-without-airborne-tab/

That would definitely be a caption error e19, why? Because in 1953 the 101 was still a Training Division when it was at Breckenridge, it was off both Combat and Jump Status, and would wear no AIRBORNE tab over the patch, photo will have to date after 1956.

Two good topics on the 101 of those days.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197188-101st-airborne-training-division-516th-327th-helmet-liner-named/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194396-wear-of-airborne-ssi-as-combat-patches-without-airborne-tab/

I noticed that as well when i started looking into it to try and find more info, is it me or in some of the pics that you can see the 101st patch the tab over the 101st patch looks like a scroll?

Not a bad book on the 101st during that time.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Tubinis-File-Breckinridge-1948-1953/dp/151489579X

When did the 101st start wearing airborne tabs again?

They are 3 pictures in this group that are reversed. 188, 189 and 192. The reserve ripcords are shown on the left side. All reserves are right pull only (but today they use center pull).

The 1953 date is incorrect because the C-130 did not begin arriving to Air Force units until 1956.

Also this picture clearly shows the jumpers have riser quick releases made by the Capewell Co. These were not adopted by the Army until the early 60s.

post-900-0-43193600-1469755400.jpg

It is actually an early model C-130.

attachicon.gif post-68384-0-04765600-1469417041.jpg

The red rectangle shows the location of the Jump/Caution lights consistent with the C-130. It also shows the roller track that the jump door rides up as it is opened by the loadmaster (much like a garage door).

The C-123 has a hinged door that is removed before the jump flight begins.

Rolf...no problem man I believe ya. It's a 130.

Whoooa Ronnie,

I sure wasn't trying to be contentious, I was simply pointing out the details that made it a 130 instead of a 123. In the other pictures it shows the jump platform, wind deflector and round windows that also identifies it as a 130. C-123s didn't have any of those things and their windows were rectangular. Many times it is hard trying to identify an aircraft from the inside so you look for the little things.

By the way, did you know that the C-123 was initially designed as a glider?

I noticed that as well when i started looking into it to try and find more info, is it me or in some of the pics that you can see the 101st patch the tab over the 101st patch looks like a scroll?

Not a bad book on the 101st during that time.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Tubinis-File-Breckinridge-1948-1953/dp/151489579X

When did the 101st start wearing airborne tabs again?

Nah we're not seeing a scroll, unless it's perhaps a RANGER Tab, meaning a Grad of the course. AIRBORNE tabs came back in 1956 in the 101 when it's colors and what little staff/cadre from the training division that were jump qualified closed on Campbell and began to prepare for it's long awaited revival as a full Combat Division again.

They are 3 pictures in this group that are reversed. 188, 189 and 192. The reserve ripcords are shown on the left side. All reserves are right pull only (but today they use center pull).

My mistake, picture 192 was not reversed. Air Force ripcords were on the LEFT side.

Whoooa Ronnie,

I sure wasn't trying to be contentious, I was simply pointing out the details that made it a 130 instead of a 123. In the other pictures it shows the jump platform, wind deflector and round windows that also identifies it as a 130. C-123s didn't have any of those things and their windows were rectangular. Many times it is hard trying to identify an aircraft from the inside so you look for the little things.

By the way, did you know that the C-123 was initially designed as a glider?

I know Rolf I wasn't either. I totally agree with you. Once I looked at the entire picture it was plain to see that it was a C130. I just glanced at the photo and for whatever reason I saw the box car. Man you have a great day.

• 7 months later...

Aug. 15, 1965: National guardsmen, with bayonet fixed, take up position at Atlantic Blvd. and Anaheim St., Long Beach to enforce curfew order. The Watts Riots violence spilled over into Long Beach.

post-117117-0-25541700-1489627817_thumb.jpg

Aug. 15, 1965: National guardsmen, with bayonet fixed, take up position at Atlantic Blvd. and Anaheim St., Long Beach to enforce curfew order. The Watts Riots violence spilled over into Long Beach.

Seems that units of the Cal NG, namely the old 40th Armd Div, got there hands on Leaf Pattern Covers, making them unique, as the NG of the 60s wore no covers.

See posts # 1488 trough # 1503, looks for sure like these guys in those photos are wearing Brown side out Leaf Covers, while the ones at the riots save the one with the Para Camo Cover, are wearing their's Green side out

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77202-patches-in-action-photos-of-ssi-being-worn-by-the-troops/page-60

Seems that units of the Cal NG, namely the old 40th Armd Div, got there hands on Leaf Pattern Covers, making them unique, as the NG of the 60s wore no covers.

NG SF Groups wore pot covers in the 1960s. I can't imagine that no other units did

NG SF Groups wore pot covers in the 1960s. I can't imagine that no other units did

Would agree with that given the nature of the NG/USAR SF, but as far as all the rest of the Reserve components of the 60s!

post-34986-0-80230400-1489717319.jpg

Here's but one foto of many at Kent State, only two from this foto are wearing covers, and this being May 1970 as you know, even still armed with M1 Garands and M2 Carbines. Fotos from the 60s show only plain helmets, some with camo band, most without, with a scattering of duck hunter/para camo covers with in some cases burlap.

It is the most curious thing, NG and Reserves just didn't get this stuff, M14 Rifles in example, so far what I've found, it seems only the Alaska NG Eskimo Scouts and select units of the District of Columbia NG got the M14 Rifle in the 60s.

Army Reserve, by 1968 it seems they got covers and M14s, though that might of been only those three Combat Infantry Brigades. the 157th, 187th and 205th Infantry Brigades (Separate), all the rest of the reserve, no covers and M1s and carbines.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

post-34986-0-01280900-1511319251.jpg

Sporting a Para Camo Cover, A Major or a Lieutenant Colonel of an unknown unit in France, maybe Normandy, maybe further East/Northeast towards the end of the summer.

Hey those townspeople look kind of mean, maybe this officer swiped that bread under his arm, and they want it back :lol:.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey did the Marines aboard the Battleships and Cruisers off Normandy have their Camo Covers unique to the Corps? Don't think ships detachments of WWII had them issued, would this be correct?

I've often wondered exactly how shipboard Marines were outfitted in the European Theater. A great question. Love to know the answer.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...