Leather Patch for Jacket

Harrythepicker

Harrythepicker

I need opinions on this patch. It measures about 5 1/2 inches in diameter. Do you think it is a WW2 vintage patch or no? Thanks..........Harry C

post-10695-1272248881.jpg

Reverse side

Harry,

My vote is for a modern (UK made?) repro of an extremely rare USMC patch.

Any time that you see a painted on leather "WWII" squadron patch, your repro antenna should be 100% operational! Certainly there were legit painted on leather WWII squadron patches. However, modern artists can do a fantastic job of "re-creating" these patches. Be very careful!

Patch Johnson

Harry,

My vote is for a modern (UK made?) repro of an extremely rare USMC patch.

Any time that you see a painted on leather "WWII" squadron patch, your repro antenna should be 100% operational! Certainly there were legit painted on leather WWII squadron patches. However, modern artists can do a fantastic job of "re-creating" these patches. Be very careful!

Patch Johnson

I agree completely- it is indeed a reproduction.

Allan

I agree completely- it is indeed a reproduction.

Allan

I'm going with reproduction as well. It's a nice one though. I agree that it's likely an British-made reproduction as they are usually very high quality. I've owned several over the years and they make excellent fillers in a collection. I believe it's repro because I've never seen a leather version and most of the leather USMC WW2 patches I've seen are either silkscreened or decal on leather. However, the real telltale sign to me is that it has the pinhole in the center of the patch. Every English made repro I've come across had that hole in the middle of the patch; most likely from a compass used to outline the circle of leather or perhaps hold the leather in place while being painted. Jeffro