CS-156 jump case for a BC-611

Jeffgsh

I need some more assistance from the experts! I have a padded canvas and web zippered pouch / carrier I picked up at a flea market today. I have no idea what it is, though I imagine it's about right for a walkie-talkie case. It is 13" x 5" x 5" with a 10 1/2" zipper (marked CROWN) a 1" wide web strap with a lift the dot fastener and a D ring on each side for a carry strap. Whatever markings it had are too faded to read. Does anyone know what it is?

post-9399-1272238314.jpg

post-9399-1272238493.jpg

I need some more assistance from the experts! I have a padded canvas and web zippered pouch / carrier I picked up at a flea market today. I have no idea what it is, though I imagine it's about right for a walkie-talkie case. It is 13" x 5" x 5" with a 10 1/2" zipper (marked CROWN) a 1" wide web strap with a lift the dot fastener and a D ring on each side for a carry strap. Whatever markings it had are too faded to read. Does anyone know what it is?

You have a CS-156 jump case for a BC-611 handy talkie radio. It's not a common piece.

You have a CS-156 jump case for a BC-611 handy talkie radio. It's not a common piece.

Thanks! Once again the US Militaria Forum members come through! Is there anything you guys can't identify?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone has such a case in it's collection? If so, would it be possible to post pictures of it in this topic?

I'm wondering what kind of variations this case has, and if the production continued after WWII. Looks like a pretty interesting item, haven't seen it much.

craig_pickrall

I took a few photos for you. If you need any other detail let me know and I'll try to add them for you.

This case is slightly different than the one that started this thread but mine is identical to the one shown in GI Collector's guide VOL 1 page 205. There are two primary differences. First is the location of the attachments used for the Universal Carry Strap. Second is the placement of the zipper. Other than the ink stamp on the side that ID's it as a CS-156 Case and the Signal Corps part number there is no other markings, dates, etc. I can not tell you if this is WW2 era or post war version. The only other thing that hints at a date is the use of khaki material around the opening for the antenna. I have three of these cases and they are all identical. This particular one is new as shipped from the factory and the other two are used.

The first 4 photos show the sides of the case.

post-5-1274556501.jpg

post-5-1274556509.jpg

post-5-1274556517.jpg

post-5-1274556525.jpg

mpguy80/08

Yeah I'm drooling.... I do an 82nd ABN impression and have one of the WPG 611s on order.... *gets out the drool bucket*

Wayne

pararaftanr2

Gentlemen,

Per my copy of TM11-235, dated May1945, the Case, CS-156 is a component of the Homing Modification Kit MC-619, which is a "directional antenna attachment designed to be used with Radio Set SCR-536". A hand held loop antenna replaced the nondirectional telescopic rod antenna. Again, per the manual, "the case provides carrying space for the radio. The bags are fitted with suitable straps to permit slinging over the shoulder or under the arm. During homing operations the radio set may be carried in this bag. " This allowed the hands to be free to manipulate the antenna. There are two photos in the manual of a GI using the equipment, but they are obviously posed and not taken in the field. Hope this helps. Regards, Paul

• 4 years later...