Who showed you kindness in your collecting.

General Apathy

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers, forum member ' Sabrejet ' was just enquiring where I used to find a lot of the stuff I have in my collection.

I related back to him that when I was younger I used to visit a surplus store about twenty miles from my house, I regularly bought from the store and always tried to deal with the owner rather than the women he employed, he had more knowledge on what he had and what was arriving.

He was very interested in the fact that I was collecting WWII militaria and often offered me stuff I had not seen or gave me information such as he knew about items he had. I can't recall how it came about but the women in the store never liked anyone taking things off the shelves to look at, and grumbled that it was always down to them to tidy up after customers. So he suggested that I went in on a Sunday by myself and go through the rooms and the stock in there, I would make a pile ready for his return and always left the shelves tidy so there were no complaints.

This all worked well for quite some time until the day I was sure that I had checked all rooms and all corners etc, and bought everything that I fancied, often buying duplicates for all my friends who collected.

I always had the impression that he was Norwegian or such with his accent and appearance, but being younger never had the confidence to broach the subject. It wasn't until some years later that I read his obituary in the newspapers and found out that he was a German prisoner of war that never returned home afterwards. Sad I never got to know that while he was alive.

Mr. Langer, a great gentleman, who was always happy, kind to me and attentive to his customers.

Cheers Lewis

This is a very good topic and am really glad someone started this. There have been a lot of people who have showed me kindness by holding things back for me or cutting me a break on prices. However, one guy stands out in my mind. He works at a local surplus shop on weekends. I go into the store maybe once every two to three weeks. He knows I collect named and patched helmet covers, so he always saves me a couple of covers that come in when he works. He never charges me anything. He just says "I got you something." and hands me a bag filled with goodies. Sometimes it is helmet covers. Sometimes it is knee pads or patches. Whatever the case, he normally has a goody bag waiting for me. Does he have to do that? Absolutely not. He does it because he is a nice person. :thumbsup:

I've never been a regular anywhere, because there are no real surplus stores around, so I don't ever really get to know the shop owners. But usually when I go to small antique stores while traveling, the older ones that work there find it interesting I have an interest in the stuff. They sometimes give me a cheaper price for items but usually I find it more interesting to talk to them.

sam

hbtcoveralls

Ron Rutt from Schwenksville PA, one of the first guys I know who really collected US militaria always set aside things he knew I'd apprecitate. Jack Timmins from Allentown PA great guy and a 43rd division veteran of the fighting in New Georgia also took time to show me how to collect and appreciate WWII militaria. There are others, but these tow stand out.

Tom Bowers

normaninvasion

During the early 80s, in my small town, we had a surplus store and a little later a tiny militay antiques store. As a kid, I spent most of my free time at both bothering the owners :lol: The surplus store was affordable for patches and gear, WW2 and Nam and the owner always helped me on the prices. The military antiques store had the dream items that I couldn't afford. The owner always let me handle the items, read his books, and answer the many questions I had. I always wanted a nazi helmet and he gave me a big break on the price, still have it. The store only lasted a couple years, but what memories. There have also been alot of Forum members who have gone out of there way for me with info or responding to my wanted adds, thanks jeff

There are those dealers who treat you as customers...make your purchase and move on...and those who will take the time to talk, offer information, answer questions and give advice based upon their knowledge and experience in the business. In my experience, the best of the latter category are those who were/are collectors and who were able to turn their hobby into a livelihood. I'm sure we've all met both types during our collecting careers...I know I have.

Ian :thumbsup:

MANY people on this forum have been more than kind in sharing information and providing encouragement. For me, this forum and it's members is the base of all my collecting information. Thanks to all.

I have always had an interest in armor. After I got away from the TR stuff, and decided to collect US, one person more than any other helped me with information on US armor patches, giving freely of his time and knowledge. That is Dave Kaufman.

General Apathy

Hi Nkomo, Sam, Tom, Jeff, Ian and Jim,

Thanks for sharing your anecdotes and thoughts on this topic. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

A number of years ago I use to drive to Milwaukee and get off on the north ave exit and drive down to Wauwatosa to visit a dealer. I had a young family and could not afford much but did benefit from his knowlege and generosity, those guys who loitered there were cool too. Just wanted to say that every item that i purchased and was given are still in my collection. Miss the shop and that is no b.s.

John

I want to thank everyone on this Forum mainly Bob Hudson. You all have been a big help and Bob has went out of his way to help several times. Love the cap. Robert

Great subject Lewis! :thumbsup: As for me, there have been a lot of people who have shown me kindness over the years. Many of them are on this forum, others I've met at shows and still others are collectors I know locally including John(topdcnut) who posted earlier here. I've had a few run ins with the jerks of this field but, they're the minority. I can honestly say that most of those involved in militaria collecting who I've come to know have been very good to me and I am glad to call them friends!

BTW John, are you referring to Mr. Jerry's?

I'd say when I was a kid at flea markets...people are always nicer to kids who have to scrounge for pennies

Well, Bill Scott (rarepatchman) once gave me two patches when I was perusing his table as a kid at a gun show with $0 in my pockets back in 1981.....

-Ski

Thanks General Apathy for sharing memories of your early

collecting days. I too recall a very tall female clerk keeping

a eye on me while I checked out the piles of leggings and

WWI helmets at the surplus store. Hard to believe that was

nearly 40 years ago. My Dad got me started collecting when

he gave me the items he had brought back. A neighbor of

mine also passed on many items he had collected to me

which led me to get a copy of Doughboy to GI.

Good luck to all with your projects

In nearly 35 years of collecting, I've known some great fellow collectors who have gone out of their way to help me out, not only with stuff, but information and encouragment. One of the early collectors was a guy named Irv who collected medals mainly. I got some good contacts thru him and lots of great advice. Another was a fella named Clyde from California. Clyde was an AAF vet fron WWII and was a great source of insignia and information for me for over a decade. He would find goodies for me at the Bellflower, California show and the wealth of written info and photos he gave me formed the backbone of my collecting reference library for many years. He passed away in 1996 after several years of being really sick and past the collecting hobby.

The last guy I'll mention lives in California also and has monthly sent me insignia items and printed matter for 20 years or more. For his privacy I won't identify him, but he is a master militaria collector and a great friend. He's given me more good deals than I deserve.

These are only three of the great collectors I've known over the years that have always been willing and able to help me out and I've tried to reciprocate. Good collecting buddies are priceless, especially if no militaria shows are held within 250 miles of where you live. :thumbsup:

General Apathy

Hi John, Robert, Scott, Brig, Ski, 42GMC, Lee,

Thanks for sharing your anecdotes and thoughts on this topic, good to hear that others had benefactors as well. ;)

42GMC, I stood for half an hour last week staring at two GMC 353's that are for sale here locally would love to have one again I had magical days driving one in the 1980's, and that exhaust tone there's nothing quite like it. :rolleyes:

Cheers Lewis

sadly with age and the internet the stores close by me are gone and in our small town the building sit empty but while they were there I had fun and it is great to have this form handy for information and again someone to chat with about the items we find or want - haven't been a member that long but have found the answers to some of the treasures I have come across over the years -- thanks to all - Pete

ASMIC2971

I have a friend/dealer/collector/librarian down in Florida who specializes in Vietnam era SEAL and SF items, since he lives close toa bagillion retirement communities his store/museum is always full of new items and veterans shooting the breeze. I have been going there regularly for 5 years now, in fact I save my vacation time just to fly down there for 1 day thats how well he has helped me out in the past. Everytime I go I bring some items for him, most recently I found a dozen unopened 1997 era armor spotting cards my unit was throwing away - I gave him three and he returned the favor with a nice discount (45 patches for 20 dollars, most cut edge or full color currents). First time I met him my grandfather went down there for some items to fix a uniform of a friends real fast prior to a parade and we were there for 4 hours just shooting the stuff studying VN SF items and the lot. Right before we were leaving he throws me a gallon zip lock bag full of WWII chevrons for Free, and ever since I usually wind up with another shoebox amount of items he has piled on his counter that he needs to move so that he can actually use it. Next time I am down there he said that he needs my help sorting and organizing his basement stockpile and he has generously allowed me to fill two grocerybags with items for my time - now I just need some more vacation time!

Other than that I have had my fair share of kindness when it comes to this forum, from purchasing patches or items to help getting ID's and time frames and even questions of authentication - so Thanks for everyone that has helped me grow my collection and hope to have plenty of more years collecting.

PFC Kitt

Can't help but think some of these great people would benefit and appreciate it if you told them their doing an awesome job!

vostoktrading

It was 1979, I was 19 years old and just started working in a surplus store here in Honolulu, the Military Shop. I was always interested in history and especially military history. I wasn't a collector yet although I already had some patches sent to me from Vietnam when I was really young which I had fortunately hung onto.

Into this Military Shop used to come a career Marine sergeant. He was based at Kaneohe Bay. He was a long time patch collector and had some fabulous stuff (I can't remember his name exactly, Jon Eisenman or something like that). I was just starting to collect greenbacks (I foolishly thought that if I strictly limited my collecting to this kind of patch I could control any escalation).

One day, in walks this Marine, he new I was begining to collect and he handed me the patch below and said "here, this is for you to start your collecting properly. Now don't lose it!, it's a nice piece."

What a generous thing to do to get a new collector going! Jon.

post-7885-1273345664.jpg

post-7885-1273345681.jpg

Bob "Spyder" from NJ.

I never met him, we only talked through AIM and eMail. I don't even know his last name. Nonetheless he helped guide me though my more vulnerable collecting days. If it were not for him, I probably would have destroyed half my collection by trying to "clean & fix" my stuff. Indeed, he gave me the most valuable advice that I have ever learned in collecting:

LEAVE IT ALONE!

Corpsmancollector

Thanks for starting this up Lewis!

There's a couple for me. One is a long time friend and dealer. Ever since I first walked into his store he's offered me money off my purchases, advice and help on what to look out for and generally an all round great guy. I've been going to his shop for 8 years ever since.

Another is Marine collector and historian Jim Moran. I met Jim about 5 years ago at a big UK event (I was roughly 16/17 at the time) and I ran up and said 'excuse me! are you Jim Moran?' to which he answered 'yeah, I am...' Long story short, Jim and his lovely wife invited me to their home to view Jim's collection and they took my Dad and I out for lunch. I've seen Jim once or twice since then and he might not even remember me now, but at that time (and still to this day) that was a turning point not only in my passion for collecting, but in my life. Here was this guy who was an expert in the field, had some of the most amazing Marine Corps items I've ever seen, knew everyone there was to know, and he was more than happy to take a day to show this young kid the ropes. That really meant a lot to me.

And last, but certainly not least is a gentleman who's knowledge and expertise of US militaria, is up there with the best of them. He had a Reising camouflage jump bag for sale a number of years ago, and was more than willing to let a young 'whipper snapper' have a good look at it :thumbsup:

It's dealers and collectors like those I've mentioned, which make collecting what it is, for me.

General Apathy
Thanks for starting this up Lewis!

There's a couple for me. One is a long time friend and dealer. Ever since I first walked into his store he's offered me money off my purchases, advice and help on what to look out for and generally an all round great guy. I've been going to his shop for 8 years ever since.

Another is Marine collector and historian Jim Moran.

And last, but certainly not least is a gentleman who had a Reising camouflage jump bag for sale a number of years ago, and was more than willing to let a young 'whipper snapper' have a good look at it :thumbsup:

It's dealers and collectors like those I've mentioned, which make collecting what it is, for me.

Hi Corpsman, I think the guy that had the comouflage Reising bag was very happy to see a young 'whipper Snapper ' who knew what he was looking at. ;) :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Bill "Scotty" Scott and his shop in North Ave. was probably the biggest influence on my collecting. Just sitting there and watching how he dealt with people, and how people respected him taught me much.

It was a very sad day when his shop closed. But that gave us the opportunity to open our shop. We try to emulate both his ethics and business practices, as too many dealers won't give you the time of day.

We try to encourage new collectors, and help out current collectors. We are doing an event at the VA next week where we will be handing out rank patches free to the younger ones to get them interested.