For the Navy and USMC fans!

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

Here's a group of photos I recently acquired - enjoy!

I posted this pic because the Skyraider says both Navy and Marines. Someone do a "zap" job on it?

post-1949-1272127391.jpg

Steindaddie

The XPB2Y-1. Official Navy photo that says "taken on east side of VP-12 hangar, NAS North Island, 20 July 1940" The sailors hats read "Patrol Squadrons USN" That would be a nifty hat to have!

post-1949-1272127620.jpg

Steindaddie

Here's the tail/handy clothesline of a later model PB2Y, the PB2Y-5Z to be exact. It was one of a kind and was used for VIPs. In fact, this is the aircraft that flew Admiral Nimitz to Tokyo bay for the Japanese surrender. One can assume this photo with the dungarees flapping in the breeze was not taken during Nimitz's journey.

post-1949-1272127947.jpg

Steindaddie

Early OS2U Kingfisher from the USS Arizona. This is one of those aircraft that look better with floats.

post-1949-1272128165.jpg

Steindaddie

Same PBY a couple weeks later. (7 June 1945) The photo caption states that this VPB-43 aircraft had engine trouble and had to land on the ocean. Boat came out of Adak, took plane in tow, and the tow broke during the night resulting in one very broke PBY

post-1949-1272128658.jpg

Steindaddie

TBD Devastator from Torpedo 6, USS Enterprise. This aircraft transfered to Torpedo 8 on USS Hornet and was shot down at Midway killing the also pictured ENS Grant Teats and ARM2C Hollis Martin. RIP

post-1949-1272129292.jpg

post-1949-1272129301.jpg

Steindaddie

Another TBD, this one from Torpedo 4, USS Ranger. It was also lost with Torpedo 8 at Midway killing Lt(jg) George M. Campbell and ARM2C Ronald J. Fisher. RIP

post-1949-1272129171.jpg

post-1949-1272129183.jpg

I posted this pic because the Skyraider says both Navy and Marines. Someone do a "zap" job on it?

My guess is that it's from a training squadron or RAG and used for training Marines and Navy aviators. That practice is still done today as I have seen F-18 Hornets from VFA-106 have Navy on one side of the aircraft and Marines on the other.

Could also be a reserve unit (notice the slightly "darker" color on the plane? Most likely it's International Orange, it shows up better on Dark Sea Blue aircraft before naval aviation went to the gull gray/gloss white paint scheme depicted on the 'raider.) I don't have my reference materials with me, but the tail code would tell you the unit the aircraft was assigned to. In those days, USN/USMC reserve units "shared" the aircraft.

Someone please feel free to chime in if I'm off base...

Semper,

Ski

bronxboymike
Could also be a reserve unit (notice the slightly "darker" color on the plane? Most likely it's International Orange, it shows up better on Dark Sea Blue aircraft before naval aviation went to the gull gray/gloss white paint scheme depicted on the 'raider.) I don't have my reference materials with me, but the tail code would tell you the unit the aircraft was assigned to. In those days, USN/USMC reserve units "shared" the aircraft.

Someone please feel free to chime in if I'm off base...

Semper,

Ski

Ski, I'd say you're probably right. Navy and Marine reserve squadrons shared their planes, this is definitely one of them. The T tailcode was used by both NAS Seattle and NAS Birmingham.

Mike

Johnny Signor
Another TBD, this one from Torpedo 4, USS Ranger. It was also lost with Torpedo 8 at Midway killing Lt(jg) George M. Campbell and ARM2C Ronald J. Fisher. RIP

Actually this aircraft is from Torpedo 5 ,the number to the left of the aircrafts type of mission has always been the "unit's " number, the 4 would be the individual aircrafts number.

Steindaddie
The T tailcode was used by both NAS Seattle and NAS Birmingham.

Mike

I'd bet NAS Seattle, and for the following reasons: A. I grew up and live in that area. B. The photo came from a local family. C. The photo background looks like former NAS Seattle (known to most here as Sandpoint)

Actually this aircraft is from Torpedo 5 ,the number to the left of the aircrafts type of mission has always been the "unit's " number, the 4 would be the individual aircrafts number.

Alas, I erred. The plane is from VT-5, USS Yorktown. Thanks for keeping me straight.

~Will

Kaneoheboy
TBD Devastator from Torpedo 6, USS Enterprise. This aircraft transfered to Torpedo 8 on USS Hornet and was shot down at Midway killing the also pictured ENS Grant Teats and ARM2C Hollis Martin. RIP

Seems that the airplane collided with another plane from VT-6 on June 14, 1941 over Camp Malakole (AAA camp) on SW Oahu Island, it made an emergency landing at the camp, and was later towed to the Ewa Mooring Mast site of USMC Ewa Field, later to become MCAS Ewa an important base for all USMC air units staging to the Pacific Theater. Note the chewed tail.

post-11381-1272863273.jpg

Photo courtesy of the 185th Armor Regt. Museum, CA ARNG

-John