An Assortment of OD wool WWII Sweaters

rambob

I was doing my normal Spring cleaning and inspection of my collection and I did not realize the variety of OD wool sweaters I had squirreled away over the years. There are military issued High Neck Sweaters, Red Cross provided sweaters, private purchase sweaters and a few without tags. I know this may be considered a mundane category, but the variety in style, materials and colors has always interested me. There are even two High Neck Sweaters from the same manufacturer, but in different sizes.

Bob

post-299-1272068568.jpg

post-299-1272068577.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a great grouping Bob. Thanks for posting them. There have been several people that have asked about sweaters but we have little posted about them.

Very nice knit items!!!

Really hope you have a moth free home... 'cuz that surely looks like paradise for those little bugs ... :D

rgds

Bart

Nice off-beat collection Rambob. Perhaps not as "sexy" as a camo-suit or a badged-up field jacket, but important parts of a GI's wardrobe nevertheless...and not a moth-nip in sight?! Amazing! Thanks for posting.

Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I was truly surprised at how many of these sweaters I had acquired over the years. Especially since I don't normal collect multiples of anything. They seemed to be a popular item to bring home and most came with groupings I bought directly from vets or their families. I would put them on a PLASTIC hanger and hang them at the end of my caves coat rack where obviously I didn't make it down to very often. Sabrejet and Bart P, Moths are my sworn enemies and I go to herculean efforts to keep them out of the cave. Protective plastic around the coat racks, sealed plastic tubs, moth balls, you name it are in my arsenal against these pests. I went to a lot of work and spent a lot of money on a collection I could be proud of and will not let it fall prey to those little "Moth"ers!!

BTW. I have always believed that the 5 button, High Neck Sweater from WWII was one of the coolest, classiest and best looking garments produced during that period. I think the same style sweater is still in use today in the military. It may be hard to see, but the four High Neck Sweaters I showed all have different thread color, weight and stitching variations, even from the same manufacturer.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I was truly surprised at how many of these sweaters I had acquired over the years. They seemed to be a popular item to bring home and most came with groupings I bought directly from vets or their families. I would put them on a PLASTIC hanger and hang them at the end of my caves coat rack where obviously I didn't make it down to very often. Sabrejet and Bart P, Moths are my sworn enemies and I go to herculean efforts to keep them out of the cave. Protective plastic around the coat racks, sealed plastic tubs, moth balls, you name it are in my arsenal against these pests. I went to a lot of work and spent a lot of money on a collection I could be proud of and will not let it fall prey to those little "Moth"ers!!

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob...yes indeed! That's one battle none of us can afford to lose!

Ian :w00t:

Beautiful sweaters - thanks for posting them. For me they are one of most interesting parts of my collection. I really enjoyed looking at what you posted and noting the button/color/stitching variations. The wonderful varied OD tones has always been one of the things that attracted me to WWII uniform collecting. I've always made it a point to keep a couple of samples to each item to represent these variations. The WWII sweater collecting is a rich area. There are many goods things and challenges - the turtleneck, the sleeveless, the early verisons of the highneck. I know I need to be put in a straight jacket! :lol:

I thought I'd add pictures showing color variations on the V-neck and button variations on the high neck. Somebody might find this interesting. Didn't mean to bore, offend, or high jack anything.

CR

post-772-1272162206.jpg

ruescher, Great photos!! I really like how you compare the colors of the various sweaters!! And what nice sweaters you have in your collection. Thanks for adding to the topic.

• 1 month later...
Bob Hudson

I recently for two sleeveless OD wool sweaters as part of a 10-trunk grouping from a WWII infantry officer. One of them is, as with one of yours above, made by Catalina (later known as Catalina Sportswear).

Before (and after) the war they made the "All America Board of Football" sweater and continued to use the same label on their wartime production.

aa0.jpg

sweatera1.jpg

Here's this officer's other sweater: no label and probably Red Cross-made.

sweaterb1.jpg

• 5 years later...