British Awards to USMC for TARAWA

salfred

I was reading about the battle at Tarawa and was fasinated by the awards that we given for the action. I was especially interested in the British Awards given to US personnel.

I found this on the web:

Honorary Distinguished Service Order (DSO)

Lt. Gen. Julian C. Smith - Commander of the Second Marine Division. Also awarded the US Distinguished Service Medal.

Lt. Col. David Monroe Shoup - Commanding officer of all Marine Corps troops on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, and Gilbert Islands, from 20 to 22 November 1943. Also awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour for the same action. (Citation reads: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of all Marine Corps troops in action against enemy Japanese forces on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands, from 20 to 22 November 1943.")

Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)

Major Henry P. "Jim" Crowe 05028 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Major Henry G. Lawrence Junior 05963 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Major Michael P. Ryan 06934 - Company Commander L/3/2. Also awarded the US Navy Cross for action at Tarawa.

Capt. William Bray 07625 - Company Commander A/1/2. Also awarded the US Navy Cross for action at Tarawa.

Distinguished Service Medal (DSM)

Cpl. Philip R. Burke 350206 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Cpl. Richard L. Close 367541 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Cpl. Hubert D. Crotts 315561 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

PM2C Raymond E. Duffee - A Corpsman, was also awarded the Navy Cross.

Sgt. Edward R. Godwin 265510 - E/2/2 Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Pfc. James F. Goldman 335193 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Cpl. Robert W. Johnsmiller 387600 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Cpl. John J. Spillane 311385 - Crew chief, 2nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion. Also awarded the US Navy Cross.

Pfc. George Onzon Smith 334946 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Cpl. Henry J. Witowski 312182 - Also awarded the US Navy Cross

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

Sgt. Clarence E. Petrie 335730 D/1/2 - Also awarded the Navy Cross.

1st Sgt. Wilbur M. Burgess - Also awarded the Navy Cross

The last two awards of the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal is amazing as very few British Subjects received this award. I was wondering if anyone has any information about Sgt. Clarence E. Petrie or 1st Sgt. Wilbur M. Burgess? What their medal entitlements are? Service? Etc..

• 1 year later...

I would still like to know the full medal entitlment for Sgt. Clarence E. Petrie or 1st Sgt. Wilbur M. Burgess. As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind seeing any U.S. servicemans' medal group that was awarded a British Gallantry medal for Tarawa. Pics anyone?

That is extremely interesting and something I never would have thought about. What connection did the British have with the Tarawa operation? I wasn't aware that the British were involved in any of the island hopping campaigns other than possibly some Royal Navy ships and even those I thought were much later in the war, like 1945.

According to the wikipedia entry on the Battle of Tarawa, this is the only thing remotely British related:

"A series of fourteen coastal defense guns, including four large Vickers 8-inch guns purchased during the Russo-Japanese War from the British, were secured in concrete bunkers and located around the island to guard the open water and the approaches into the lagoon."

Maybe the British awards were for recovering their guns.

teufelhunde.ret
Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

Sgt. Clarence E. Petrie 335730 D/1/2 - Also awarded the Navy Cross.

1st Sgt. Wilbur M. Burgess - Also awarded the Navy Cross

The last two awards of the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal is amazing as very few British Subjects received this award. I was wondering if anyone has any information about Sgt. Clarence E. Petrie or 1st Sgt. Wilbur M. Burgess? What their medal entitlements are? Service? Etc..

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM) was, until 1993, a military decoration awarded to personnel of the British Armed Forces and from September 1942 to personnel of the Merchant Navy of rank equivalent to that of Petty Officer or Seaman and formerly also to personnel of other Commonwealth countries, below commissioned rank, for conspicuous gallantry in action against the enemy at sea or in the air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_Gallantry_Medal

As the Island had been a British protectorate and reverted to British administration again after the war, the British Government was very much in debt of the United States as a result of the battle of Tarawa. It may be for this reason, apart from the obvious bravery of the recipients, that a significant number of British Gallantry Awards were presented to US Marines and Corpsmen in recognition of their gallantry in the battle of Tarawa. Seventeen out of a total of 20 awards were presented to the USMC in the second war. These awards are as follows:

http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/britaward.htm

petrie2.jpg

Sgt. Petrie at the British Consulate after receiveing the C.C.M. (presented 6/26/46 in San Francisco)

The citation for Petrie's Navy Cross and C.C.M. reads: "Sgt. Petrie displayed extraordinary heroism as a weapons Company Reconnaissance Sergeant during action against Japanses forces in Tarawa, Gilbert Islands, November 21 1943. On this day, The Japanese were in possession of many strong pillboxes and dugouts on the beach: these were causing heavy casualties among Marines attempting to gain the beach by wading through the shallow waters. Petrie, accompanied only by the officer, voluntarily assisted in attacking and destroying four of the strong enemy positions. He helped put a 75mm pack howitzer in position to fire on the first pillbox and helped to load the howitzer in the face of heavy machinegun fire. He then with the lieutenant rushed the position and entered it to ascertain if all the Japanses were dead. Without hesitation they attacked four large pillboxes connected together by trenches. They attacked the first position in the face of heavy machinegun fire, and under the cover of the accurate and steady fire of Petrie, the pillbox was gained and a number of handgrenades and TNT tossed in, after which both men entered to finish off the enemy. By way of the connecting trenches, they made an assault on the second position and killed its occupants. They then attacked the third position, and after throwing grenades and TNT inside, they entered to mop up. Two Japanese were discovered and killed by grenades before the Lieutenant was seriously wounded by a Japanese grenade. Without hesitation, and at great risk of his own life, Petrie dragged the officer outside to safety and carried him back to the aid station. By his heroic conduct, courage and devotion to duty, he put out of action three .25 machine guns, two 13mm machine guns, and one 20mm anti-boat gun."

Petrie_SRB_1.jpg

In 1943 Tarawa was part of the British Gilbert Islands, so in essence we liberated a British possession ergo the awarding of British decorations. Clarence Petrie, D/2/2, a Silver Star recipient on Guadalcanal, received a Navy Cross and Purple Heart at Tarawa. He was one of two Marines also awarded the British Conspicuous Gallantry Medal. Other British decorations were awarded to Marines for actions including two CGMs, at Guadalcanal, British Solomon Islands.

Here is a photo of him wearing his full-sized U.S. medals, probably at the awards ceremony in Hawaii. Note the order.

Petrie_wearing_Medals.jpg

He did not receive his CGM until 1946. Taken at the awards presentation.

Petrie_335730_CGM.jpg

Having survived 2 of the most ferocious Pacific land battles, he tragically died in 1949 in a logging accident .

Semper Fi......Bobgee

That is extremely interesting and something I never would have thought about. What connection did the British have with the Tarawa operation? I wasn't aware that the British were involved in any of the island hopping campaigns other than possibly some Royal Navy ships and even those I thought were much later in the war, like 1945.

According to the wikipedia entry on the Battle of Tarawa, this is the only thing remotely British related:

"A series of fourteen coastal defense guns, including four large Vickers 8-inch guns purchased during the Russo-Japanese War from the British, were secured in concrete bunkers and located around the island to guard the open water and the approaches into the lagoon."

Maybe the British awards were for recovering their guns.

The Gilbert Islands were a British Colony when the Japanese captured them. British awards were for the recapture by our forces.

Regards,

W

A few years ago I visited the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, Texas. At that time, they had on display as WW2 USMC medal group that included a Navy Cross and a British Navy DSM. Don't recall the name of the Marine, unfortunately. It was very impressively displayed.

These are more commonly referred to as Commonwealth Decorations...I think the link here is the joint operations of US and Australian forces in the PTO.

Cheers

Sean

Raidercollector

Here is a Photo of Wilbur M Burgess ,Earned the Navy Cross and the CGM award for Tarawa, He was also a China Maine and was on Guadalcanal.

Nick

post-421-1327367783.jpg

Thanks bobgee and Nick for the photos of Wilbur M Burgess and Clarence Petrie. These are two Marines that I have been very interested in due to being awarded a very rare Commonwealth award, the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

Can I assume Burgees medal entitlement would be as follows:

1) Navy Cross

2) Purple Heart

3) American Defense Service Medal

4) American Campaign Medal

5) Asiatic - Pacific Campaign Medal

6) WWII Victory Medal

7) British - Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Navy)

Petrie would be something like:

1) Navy Cross

2) Silver Star

3) Purple Heart

4) American Defense Service Medal

5) American Campaign Medal

6) Asiatic - Pacific Campaign Medal

7) WWII Victory Medal

8) British - Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

For those who have not seen a Conspicuous Gallantry Medal I have attached a pic of one. It has only been awarded 246 times since its institution in 1855. It was discontinued in 1991.

post-5286-1327397579.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Raidercollector

Has anyone seen a document for British CGM for WW2 Marines ? Since 17 out of 20 were given to marines in WW2. I would love to see a document for this award.

Nick

Has anyone seen a document for British CGM for WW2 Marines ? Since 17 out of 20 were given to marines in WW2. I would love to see a document for this award.

Nick

Hi Nick, what do you mean '17 out of 20' were given to Marines? Thanks

Raidercollector

Salfred

During WW2 the Brits had awarded 20 CGM,s to our service men and 17 went to marines during WW2. It was a very high award from the British to give are service men. The other three where probably to the Army or Air Force.

Nick

Salfred

During WW2 the Brits had awarded 20 CGM,s to our service men and 17 went to marines during WW2. It was a very high award from the British to give are service men. The other three where probably to the Army or Air Force.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Are you sure? Considering that only 72 Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Navy) were awarded for the whole Second World War to all Commonwealth forces and some foreigners, including 2 to the Royal Norwegian Navy, 3 to U.S.M.C. and 1 to the U.S. Navy:

Their names are:

Sergeant Wilbur McBurgess U.S.M.C. 11 November 1945

Sergeant Clarence E. Petrie U.S.M.C. 11 January 1945

Sergeant Robert David Raysbrook, U.S.M.C. 27 September 1942

(I haven't located this guys name yet) U.S. Navy.

There was one other Conspicuous Gallantry Medal for Flying that was awarded to Sergeant James J. Reardon, U.S.A.F. 18 January 1945.

Maybe you have it mistaken with another British Medal perhaps?

Anyway I am really enjoying this discussion.

Look forward to hearing from you Nick.

Sam.

Raidercollector

Sam

I learned my information from the internet that was posted earlier in this post. On how many where awarded to marines during WW2. Here is part of the post below

As the Island had been a British protectorate and reverted to British administration again after the war, the British Government was very much in debt of the United States as a result of the battle of Tarawa. It may be for this reason, apart from the obvious bravery of the recipients, that a significant number of British Gallantry Awards were presented to US Marines and Corpsmen in recognition of their gallantry in the battle of Tarawa. Seventeen out of a total of 20 awards were presented to the USMC in the second war.

I think the medal was re instituted in 1943, Than they change to the gallantry Cross from what i read,I could be wrong.Or ms informed . This is probably why So few awards.The Navy one,s are Quite rare from what I read in British medal books. From 1874 they awarded 233 medals. So for WW2 I am not Quite sure.Just from what I read in the above post. They gave out a lot more to the RAF in WW2,But those would be for the Air force.

Nick

Sam

I learned my information from the internet that was posted earlier in this post. On how many where awarded to marines during WW2. Here is part of the post below

As the Island had been a British protectorate and reverted to British administration again after the war, the British Government was very much in debt of the United States as a result of the battle of Tarawa. It may be for this reason, apart from the obvious bravery of the recipients, that a significant number of British Gallantry Awards were presented to US Marines and Corpsmen in recognition of their gallantry in the battle of Tarawa. Seventeen out of a total of 20 awards were presented to the USMC in the second war.

I think the medal was re instituted in 1943, Than they change to the gallantry Cross from what i read,I could be wrong.Or ms informed . This is probably why So few awards.The Navy one,s are Quite rare from what I read in British medal books. From 1874 they awarded 233 medals. So for WW2 I am not Quite sure.Just from what I read in the above post. They gave out a lot more to the RAF in WW2,But those would be for the Air force.

Nick

Nick,

I think that there is a bit of confusion here. I am thinking that the British bestowed 20 gallantry awards for the Tarawa campaign, with 17 of those going to US marines. These gallantry awards include the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM), but other awards were bestowed like the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), the Military Cross (MC) and the Military Medal (MM). The British were rather "class conscious" about their awards, so MC's would have gone to officers, and MM's would have been an enlisted award. While the British Victoria Cross is a higher rated medal, the lack of CGM's awarded during WWII would make them much rarer.

Allan

• 2 years later...

Sam, the Navy guy who was awarded a Brotish medal with Sgt Petrie was RAYMOND E. DUFFEE, PHARMACIST'S MATE SECOND CLASS UNITED STATES NAVAL RESERVE