Silver Star makers mark question

ROY222

Hi Carey,

It would be nice to have the additional information on the actual SSM contract to see exactly when these were manufactured. Still, a start and a great example of collectors sharing knowledge and working together to fill in the gaps! :thumbsup:

Tim

Great detective work, Tim! :thumbsup: I don't have any specific information on the contract, but it dates back to at least the late-1940's. It's not a great photo, but here's an officially script engraved Silver Star with the diamond hallmark. I believe this engraving style was used from approximately 1947 - 1950.

1d3ab7de.jpg

• 1 month later...
U.S. medal collector
Dave, that's great and we appear to be getting a little closer with each additional post! :thumbsup:

Tim

I also very much appreciate the information on the diamond with the "I" in it on the back of the high gold gilt silver star !!! I have one that was awarded during the Korean war to Thomas N. Cox, as this one is named to him on the back of the medal. I was wondering for quite a while which Company made the medal with that logo on it ! Thank YOU very much for all the work that you donated to finding the solution for all collectors that are lucky enough to have one of these with the diamond "I" in it, and mine is cased complete with ribbon bar and lapel. :-)

U.S. medal collector
Dave, that's great and we appear to be getting a little closer with each additional post! :thumbsup:

Tim

I also very much appreciate the information on the diamond with the "I" in it on the back of the high gold gilt silver star !!! I have one that was awarded during the Korean war to Thomas N. Cox, as this one is named to him on the back of the medal. I was wondering for quite a while which Company made the medal with that logo on it ! Thank YOU very much for all the work that you donated to finding the solution for all collectors that are lucky enough to have one of these with the diamond "I" in it, and mine is cased complete with ribbon bar and lapel. :-)

• 3 years later...

Dave,

That's super! :)

Some said Irons & Russell never produced Silver Star medals and this kind of makes that a mute point now. I had thought it might be Korea to Vietnam era but happy to see it originally came out in WW2.

Many thanks for adding that to the thread!

Tim

Thats super Tim! Does any one know if BBB's had a SS in blue box also?

I am trying to learn something! Might be a dumb question many of you already know!

Why in blue box and not coffin box?

I myself thought the named boxes from companies might be something to find and see how many makers!

When were 1st Silver Stars issued? 1930's for WW1?

Hoping to learn!

Thanks

PVON

BB&B first contract was 8/29/1932 and came in a slightly different blue box of issue. Search some older threads on these and you'll find lots of information.

Tim