SSgt. John J. McNichol

DaveS44

I just found this info on my Wife's Grandfather. What a treat to find this out. We are waiting to hear if her Grandma still has his Medals. I believe he was a Three War Vet. He retired as a Master Sergeant. So far, this is all we know about him. If anyone has any more info, we would greatly appreciate it. - Dave

C/S Visits; Presents D.S.C.

2nd Highest Award Given to 1/8th NCO

JJ%20Mcnichol.jpg

Gen. Harold K. Johnson, Army chief of staff, last week presented the Distinguished Service Cross, the United States’ second highest award for valor, to SSgt. John J. McNichol, a reconnaissance sergeant with 1st Bu., 8th Arty.

Sgt. McNichol, a Philadelphia, Pa., native, had received the Silver Star Medal; as an earlier, interim award from Gen. William C. Westmoreland, commander, U.S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, for action during the division’s Operation “Circle Pines.”

The 49-year-old Sgt. McNichol was with a 1/8th Arty. forward observer team supporting a “Tropic Light¬ning” company near Trung Lap, about 12 miles north of Cu Chi, on April 5 and the morning of April 6, 1966.

When the company was attacked by an estimated Viet Cong battalion, the sergeant was wounded.

Ignoring his wounds, Sgt. McNichol repeatedly exposed himself to the intense hostile fire in order to observe and adjust supporting artillery fire.

The VC regrouped and launched a second and finally a third assault.

Sgt. McNichol, who suffered two additional wounds during the two assaults, refused medical evacuation and continued adjusting accurate artillery fire, inflicting a number of casualties on the VC, and eventually forcing them to withdraw.

By this time, he was weak from loss of blood and was going into shock, but before losing consciousness, he told his radio telephone operator how to continue the mission.

Sgt. McNichol, now fully recovered, is back with the “Automatic Eighth” Artillery.