Thinking about gettin back into reenacting

Darktrooper

Darktrooper

Friend of mine has got me thinking about getting back into reenacting. His unit is doing the 507th PIR, but also allowing other 82nd AB impressions into it right now.

Does anyone have pictures of what 82nd ABN MP's looked like? I mean, they obviously had to have jumped with the Division, so.... (edit Half the 82nd MP platoon was Airborne Q'ed the other half came in on gliders at Normandy)

Anyone happen to have the MTOE for 82nd units?

Did the 82nd just have the divisional MP company or was there an MP BN also organic to it during the war.

Did they have the yellow stripe with MP on their helmets?

Did they wear the MP brassard on the jump jacket before they jumped or did they wait till later. Im only asking cause I dont want to look like a doofus wearing jump uniform with a MP brassard and they didnt wear them, you know?

Dirteater101

As another reformed MP (Sky Pig)who has done some research into ww2 101 Mp's I can tell you this. Most of the Mp's in the 101 were non jumpers and did not wear the "airborne" tab over their 101 patch.

However there were 2 platoons of Mp's that were jump qualified (The English quickie school)before the invasion.They were to establish POW enclosures shortly after the drop. They, as with the rest of the 101'st and 82nd scattered to holy heck and unable to complete their intended mission. So one would be lead to beleive that they fought as an infantry man for the duration.

No records exist of weather they wore the Mp painted jump helmets or not. And oddly enough the vets we have talked to (trust me it has been a lot) Can not remember seeing any during the invasion on a jumper, ever! It dose not mean they did not exist, just uncommon. They do however remember seeing armbands.

As far as wearing the armband in the jump, well would you really want one more thing pinned to you during a jump? Got a lot of pockets, why not?

Sorry, just have info on the 101, can only wonder if the 82nd had a similar program.

Damm, another cop in the hobby.... See you downrange!

Darktrooper

I was looking at a website that talked about the 82nd MP platoon, and that half the platoon was Airborne Qualified and the other half were Glider riders.

I was looking at a website that talked about the 82nd MP platoon, and that half the platoon was Airborne Qualified and the other half were Glider riders.

Yes, and still others came ashore on Omaha beach with the 4th ID... From the reports I've read, they spent the majority of D-Day and D+1 or 2 pretty much fighting for their lives and doing anti sniper work. After that, they pretty much reverted to POW handling.

During Market Garden, they went in on gliders and one glider reportedly went down and was never found. Let me recheck and see if I can find that again and I'll repost with the link.

Wayne

As another reformed MP (Sky Pig)who has done some research into ww2 101 Mp's I can tell you this. Most of the Mp's in the 101 were non jumpers and did not wear the "airborne" tab over their 101 patch.

However there were 2 platoons of Mp's that were jump qualified (The English quickie school)before the invasion.They were to establish POW enclosures shortly after the drop. They, as with the rest of the 101'st and 82nd scattered to holy heck and unable to complete their intended mission. So one would be lead to beleive that they fought as an infantry man for the duration.

No records exist of weather they wore the Mp painted jump helmets or not. And oddly enough the vets we have talked to (trust me it has been a lot) Can not remember seeing any during the invasion on a jumper, ever! It dose not mean they did not exist, just uncommon. They do however remember seeing armbands.

As far as wearing the armband in the jump, well would you really want one more thing pinned to you during a jump? Got a lot of pockets, why not?

Sorry, just have info on the 101, can only wonder if the 82nd had a similar program.

Damm, another cop in the hobby.... See you downrange!

I think the information that you are sharing about the 101st MP platoon is a bit off. There was only one MP platoon in the 101st, not multiples. I would say there were several jump qualified members of the MP platoon. Several of the jump qualified MP's jumped as body guards for Gen. Taylor. The MP platoon wore the square HQ stencil on the side of the helmet and a light blue band around the pot. There was a eagle painted or stencilled to the front of the helmet but I am not sure if it was introduced prior to Normandy. As for MP brassards, I will let you know when I go through the photos I have from a member of the MP platoon to answer on that