Missing war films

GITom1944

history-buff1944
AMBUSH BAY-Mickey Rooney,Jim Mitchum.Might be on DVD,Been more than

a few years since it's been on TV. TCM seems to always show the same thing

every Memorial Day weekend.This one could be a nice change for once.

ATTACK-Jack Palance,Belle&Blade might have this,anyway been a while on this

one also.This one freaked me out as a kid when Palance got his arm shredded by

that german tank.

Ambush Bay and Attack are both on DvD. I have Attack since the early to mid 2000s. ;-))

history-buff1944
My God, I remember Up from the Beach on WWOR-TV as a Kid. never seen it anywhere since. I remember something about German POWs in that.

You can watch The Park is Mine on You Tube, someone uploaded the entire thing. was never as good as the Book frankly.

Secret War of Harry Frigg

PT-109

Fighter Squadron-(with Edmund O'Brien and Lovely P-47's)

Redball Express with Jeff Chandler

Retreat Hell!

All fine movies, all Forgotton by DVD makers.

Fighter Squadron Especially is sad. It was filmed in Technicolor, used real P-47 Thunderbolts and the cast was good.

I know this thread is at least 2 years on but all here are on DvD except for: Red ball Express.

history-buff1944
How about "The Hunters"? A 1950's movie about USAF F-86 fighter pilots in the Korean War staring Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner. I first saw it in a theater as a kid when it first came out. Neat air-to-air dogfights, even tho F-84's had to stand in for Mig-15's. Parts of this are on You Tube, but I don't think it's on DVD.

On DvD ;-))

history-buff1944
For me it,s Pride of the Marines with John Garfield playing Al Schmidt. I saw it as a kid and it always stuck with me.

Tom

This one is also now on DvD. :-)

history-buff1944
I have not seen this one on dvd or vhs...The Thousand Plane Raid.

Saw it as a kid at the theater and have not seen anything about it since.

This one is now available on DvD.

The Screaming Eagles, the 1950s Movie, as far as I know it was not released on DVD, nor the early 50s movie about the 45th Inf Div called the Thunderbirds, there really is a whole bunch that are not out on DVD, some were on VHS I gather, but then just droped off the SCREEN as it were.

ICHON!

C'mon Guys! You are missing the biggest war film that hasn't been released on VHS, BETA, CED, DVD, Laser Disc etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchon_(film)

I've been wanting to watch that monstrosity for years!

Considered the one of the greatest flops ever, but no one knows how much the Moonies really spent on this masterpiece!

A Criterion Edition would be a must!

Leonardo

history-buff1944
You know what movie I haven't seen in a long, long time?

Corvette K-225 with Randolph Scott.

Available on DvD.

history-buff1944
All of these are movies I've only seen one time on TV. All were a long time ago - like when I was a teen. ( I'm 58 now)

The Young Lions with Marlon Brando & Montgomery Clift ( the book was much better)

A time to Love and a Time to Die from the book by Erich Maria Remarque (who wrote "all Quiet on the Western Front") Read the book in junior high: The love scenes were really mushy. Just like the bodies emerging from the snow in the spring thaw... (I only saw part of the movie on late night TV one time: mostly it was the mushy love scenes darn it)

In the mid to late 60s I saw a movie titled "Armored Command" It was German, dubed into English. 30 years later I saw the 1956 version of "Stalingrad" (Dogs Do you want to live for ever?) It was pretty much the same movie, but there are specific scenes that I remember from "Armored command" that were not in Stalingrad. Like a kublewagen with massive snowtire chains and flaps that allowed it to drive across the snow... And the piano player actually losing his fingers... ( Hey! I was 13 or 14, we're taliking cool shinola here!)

Piece of Cake a British mini-series about British Spitfire pilots at the start of WWII (the "Phoney War" period, the retreat from France, and only the beginning of the Battle of Britain.) I saw this one on "masterpiece Theater" about 10 years ago. I missed the final episode dang it!

"Home Front" A TV series from the early 90s about a perfectly wonderful small industrial town in Ohio at the end of WWII. The women have been working in the factorys and the men are coming home and taking back the jobs. And not everything is right. (In SO many ways.) Kind of a "the Best Years of Our Lives" remade as soap opera with a really big cast and a whole lot of social issues: I really liked it a lot. And then it was gone. (featured a really young Kyle Chandler who is now in "Friday Night Lights")

A Time To Love and A Time To Die is on DvD--BUT not American Release--Korean however, dialog is in English. Same goes for: 55 Days At Peking--Korean relaes English language.

history-buff1944
These two movies are available as questionable imports, but not US region-produced DVDs. They should be:
  • Waterloo (the 1969 version filmed in Russia)
  • The Lighthorsemen

I know that’s on DVD, I got it in that format from Netflix last month. I have them all on VHS from when they aired in the early 90s. Still a good series. You HAVE to see the final episode, a lot happens in that one! The funny part was in Masterpiece Theater, they talked at the openings about the impact of the series on the British population and how people HATED the series, saying that it wasn’t possible to have squadron that full of foul-ups in the beloved “Few” that save England. So much hero worship, and active-duty RAF folks said that they all served with people like those on the show many times. Go figure.

Not sure if Waterloo is now American release but--The Light Horsemen now is and through Warner Brothers. I just recently saw it listed on their website.

history-buff1944
How about "Zone Troopers"? It came out around the mid-1980's and was a WWII/Sci-fi film involving a small group of U.S. infantrymen which comes across a crashed alien spaceship behind German lines. Tim Thomerson had the lead role as Sgt. Rock knock-off "Sgt. Stone" and also had Art Lafleur who is better known for being the Tooth Fairy in the "Santa Clause" movies. The movie has a comic book kind of fun charm about it. I saw it back in the 1980's when it was released on VHS, but I've yet to see it on DVD and certainly not on Blue Ray.

Zone Troopers is now on DvD and I THINK from the Warner Bros website.

Not sure if Waterloo is now American release but--The Light Horsemen now is and through Warner Brothers. I just recently saw it listed on their website.

This Waterloo, is that the one with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer ?

history-buff1944
The Screaming Eagles, the 1950s Movie, as far as I know it was not released on DVD, nor the early 50s movie about the 45th Inf Div called the Thunderbirds, there really is a whole bunch that are not out on DVD, some were on VHS I gather, but then just droped off the SCREEN as it were.

There are two movies made called: Thunderbirds. One I THINK is actually titled: Thunder Birds. The one about the 45th is on DvD and I THINK is an On Demand title like Fighter Squadron, Quantirlls Raiders, Don't Go Near the Water, Retreat Hell, Breakthrough and so many others. I just recently ordered most of them.

Anyway, both movies with Thunderbirds/Thunder Birds--are now available on DvD. Ive been wanting to order both. Also, for a great Cold War movie newly released to DvD: The Journey and another classic: The Buccaneer are both on DvD.

history-buff1944
This Waterloo, is that the one with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer ?

I cant recall but I THINK Plummer is in it and so is Orson Welles.

I cant recall but I THINK Plummer is in it and so is Orson Welles.

Right, it was released in 1970, it is now on DVD, BUT, I think only as a China emport, I got it about 3 years ago, pain in the you know what, I can't seem or don't know how to remove Chinese subtitles, it is in the English laguage but it has the Chinese subtitles, in a couple of dilects if I can recall.

Right, it was released in 1970, it is now on DVD, BUT, I think only as a China emport, I got it about 3 years ago, pain in the you know what, I can't seem or don't know how to remove Chinese subtitles, it is in the English laguage but it has the Chinese subtitles, in a couple of dilects if I can recall.
Yeah, I think I got it off netflix once before deciding to buy the import. It wasn't bad but not nearly as good a transfer to DVD as it should be.

I bought "Lighthorsemen" as an import DVD as even the VHS wasn't the complete movie, it was badly chopped up for the US market for some reason.

I'd LOVE to get 'Anzacs: the War Down Under" series on DVD, but no relase in NTSC yet...

history-buff1944

Ill check for sure as to who released it soon as I have more time. i think it was on the Warner Brothers website? I cant remember? I check the studios sites as often as possible for news on new releases but normally dont have much time to look.

history-buff1944
Yeah, I think I got it off netflix once before deciding to buy the import. It wasn't bad but not nearly as good a transfer to DVD as it should be.

I bought "Lighthorsemen" as an import DVD as even the VHS wasn't the complete movie, it was badly chopped up for the US market for some reason.

I'd LOVE to get 'Anzacs: the War Down Under" series on DVD, but no relase in NTSC yet...

Actually, Anzacs was released on DvD in several Countries. An Australian Vet/Friend fo mine made me a DvD copy and gave it to me a few years ago. I let a friend borrow it but he never returned it. If he would have? i'd gladly see about making you a copy--which is the entire program ;-))

Actually, Anzacs was released on DvD in several Countries. An Australian Vet/Friend fo mine made me a DvD copy and gave it to me a few years ago. I let a friend borrow it but he never returned it. If he would have? i'd gladly see about making you a copy--which is the entire program ;-))

Thanks, but that's why I typed what I did:

Anything seen in the EU, UK or land down under is incompatible with US TVs....

Here's a place for one and all, I already ordered from him, he is good to go, he is in Canada but does have U.S. playable stuff, I ordered The remake of the Red Badge of Courage, the one with Richard Thomas on DVD, as far as I know it is not available on any format, this version I feel is way better that the one with Audie Murphy. The DVD I recieved was very good, no problems, he does have quite a few War movies that you will not see anywhere else, or at the very least less money, some are only VHS, but some that you can only find on Amazon or Albris in VHS format you can find here on DVD. You know he even has that old 1971 made for T.V. Korean War Movie with Ken Berry called The Reluctant Heroes, this would be for the pushing 50 and over crowd to remember. It was about a Rear Echelon Officer ( Berry) who is tranfered to the Infantry, ( presumably during the late summer of 1950 at the Pusan Perimeter), it has Warren Oates, Jim Hutton staring in it, it was really an okay movie, but then I was young when I first seen it on T.V., I seen it in the 80s again on T.V. but since then never, and it's available on Amazon in VHS format but real expensive, Roberts Video has it both VHS and DVD cheap, like 20 Bucks + shipping. Anyway I hope other members may find something good here in the War/Historial Movie area.

http://robertsvideos.com/index.php3

I have no affialation with this Company, only as a first time buyer that was pleasently suprised to find this place, which basicaly was by accident, and liked the DVD,s quality ETC when I first got my first order.

Lightning Ace

I just bought from VCI Entertainment the WW II movie "A Walk In The Sun" on DVD and it was marked down from $14 to $11 and then they give you a 20% off coupon which reduces it down to $9 and of course I bought it because they had a sequence showing P-38 Lightnings in it coming to the rescue.

I'm also looking for the movies: "Swing Shift Maisie", "Marriage Is A Private Affair" and "When Willie Comes Marching Home" all on DVD.

Mike

history-buff1944
Thanks, but that's why I typed what I did:

Anything seen in the EU, UK or land down under is incompatible with US TVs....

Quite welcome.

Also, there has been a lot of stuff from the U.K. recently released for us over here across the pond. One series I highly recommend getting is called: Island At War. I first saw it about 4-5 years ago when played on A&E Network. These were released about 2-3 years ago. Since then, ive seen quite a few films and series released for US DvD systems including certain TV series (I cant think of their names off hand but) same goes for movies like: Pimpernel Smith & The Invasion Quartet and movies like those.

history-buff1944
Here's a place for one and all, I already ordered from him, he is good to go, he is in Canada but does have U.S. playable stuff, I ordered The remake of the Red Badge of Courage, the one with Richard Thomas on DVD, as far as I know it is not available on any format, this version I feel is way better that the one with Audie Murphy. The DVD I recieved was very good, no problems, he does have quite a few War movies that you will not see anywhere else, or at the very least less money, some are only VHS, but some that you can only find on Amazon or Albris in VHS format you can find here on DVD. You know he even has that old 1971 made for T.V. Korean War Movie with Ken Berry called The Reluctant Heroes, this would be for the pushing 50 and over crowd to remember. It was about a Rear Echelon Officer ( Berry) who is tranfered to the Infantry, ( presumably during the late summer of 1950 at the Pusan Perimeter), it has Warren Oates, Jim Hutton staring in it, it was really an okay movie, but then I was young when I first seen it on T.V., I seen it in the 80s again on T.V. but since then never, and it's available on Amazon in VHS format but real expensive, Roberts Video has it both VHS and DVD cheap, like 20 Bucks + shipping. Anyway I hope other members may find something good here in the War/Historial Movie area.

http://robertsvideos.com/index.php3

I have no affialation with this Company, only as a first time buyer that was pleasently suprised to find this place, which basicaly was by accident, and liked the DVD,s quality ETC when I first got my first order.

Thanks for these, I wonder if these two movies are now public domain?

• 3 weeks later...

I was having a hell of a time getting some movies in US format DVD. After talking to My Commo guy he said why not get a region free DVD player. So I Decided to upgrade from the old West Point PX samsung VHS/DvD player to a Phillips region free DVD player on Amazon for 49 bucks.

Since then have watched Alan Ladd in the Red Beret, The Aussie Vietnam SASR film Odd Angry Shot, the 1964 Jack Warden Thin Red Line, Frank Lovejoy, Peter Ortiz(of OSS fame) Russ Tamblyn in Retreat Hell, and the Croc man in ANZACS all available only as foreign formats. no special treatment required just pop them in like US format DVD's I have like the Pacific.

• 4 weeks later...
history-buff1944
I was having a hell of a time getting some movies in US format DVD. After talking to My Commo guy he said why not get a region free DVD player. So I Decided to upgrade from the old West Point PX samsung VHS/DvD player to a Phillips region free DVD player on Amazon for 49 bucks.

Since then have watched Alan Ladd in the Red Beret, The Aussie Vietnam SASR film Odd Angry Shot, the 1964 Jack Warden Thin Red Line, Frank Lovejoy, Peter Ortiz(of OSS fame) Russ Tamblyn in Retreat Hell, and the Croc man in ANZACS all available only as foreign formats. no special treatment required just pop them in like US format DVD's I have like the Pacific.

The Red Beret and Retreat Hell are available here now. I think on the Warner Bros website.