8 x 10Photo of two battle ships ide by side

Fly USMC

This "Boat" Photo is posted for my Squid friends

Not sure which ships these are or what era. I would guess WWII, but I will let the experts make the determination.

Just picked this up at a local antique store. Just to cool to pass up. Has staple holes in all corners, but for $1.00 what the heck.

post-5056-1271482088.jpg

post-5056-1271482097.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Nice Photo,

Those are two (2) Iowa Class Battleships in their post-1944 configurations. Considering their are only (4) that were commissioned, one can venture a guess as to which Battleships they are. I'm sure someone has seen this photo before and will chime in on their identities.

USS IOWA (BB-61)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62)

USS MISSOURI (BB-63)

USS WISCONSIN (BB-64)

There ya go.....

The front gun turrett on the ship on the right hand side has 61 painted ontop. I am guesing that this is the IOWA

thanks for the info

post-5056-1271512460.jpg

They do not have air craft catapults back aft, so this is post WW2, most likely Korea or just after. My Father was on the Iowa for a year during the Korean War and then put her out of commission right after with the usual Post War down sizing. He spent the first 18 months of the KW on the USS ST. Paul, (CA-73).

Steve Hesson

• 2 months later...
vostoktrading

Wow, you can sure get a feel on how big those suckers are by looking at the small humans walking around the deck in that blow-up photo!

• 2 weeks later...

It's post WWII, probably Korea or at least close. No aircraft catapults and also the A turret range finders have been removed on both ships.

Garandomatic

On a picture like that, the pin holes kinda enhance the cool factor, if not the value. I have a pretty large early war B25 photo that is very presentable, but with just a touch of character.

• 1 year later...
The front gun turrett on the ship on the right hand side has 61 painted ontop. I am guesing that this is the IOWA

thanks for the info

It would be really nice if you could scan these in large DPI nice and flat, and re post this nice view to share. I am sure a photo store with a flatbed scanner could do this up in a nice jpeg file for you...those BBs are definitely 1950s era.

VirtualMariner

With a detailed blow-up, it might be possible to ID the other ship. Very cool picture, regardless.

Which of the other battleships was on the same coast as the Iowa during that time period? Of course, if they were deployed at the the time of this photo, that may not be the best means of narrowing it down.