Cleaning a USN Beacon

Gewehr

This beacon below has the original battery in it. It belonged to the father of a friend, and he asked me to dismantle it, clean it, and maybe even restore it to working condition. I think I would be lucky to get the battery out, frankly, but my first problem is to remove the plastic top. It screws on, has visible corrosion blocking the threads. Normally, with a rifle, I would use Kroil, but would this harm the plastic? Any other ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks, Dave

post-11295-1271449410.jpg

post-11295-1271449417.jpg

post-11295-1271449506.jpg

Maybe just get some light oil in there and let it sit for a bit....I would be hesitant to use anything other than that. I had some success with oil on a 60s era knee-board that had the batteries oozing on the inside. Couldnt open it the first day, by the second day had it open (thanks to the oil) and managed to pop the batteries out with a screwdriver. Worked fine after a good cleaning.

I dont know how much you're going to be able to do with it, thats a lot of elbow grease there. Might be better to let it be and not risk cracking the plastic.